“Great find!”

Second Wind Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Ashland B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We found this lovely B&B by accident and it totally made our weekend! The accommodations were lovely and the home truly welcoming. I was a little leery of staying at a Bed & Breakfast do to a past experience (which I had found a little creepy!), but this experience was just the opposite. The rooms were very clean and well decorated. The food was amazing and I enjoyed the fact you could socialize with the other guests in the Gathering Room if you wanted, or you could have a very private, romantic night with your spouse. I can't wait to go back to this location!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen F

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We found this place while looking for a place to stay over the busy Labor Day weekend near Bayfield, WI. This turned out to be a real find. Not only were Kelly and Mark great hosts, but they served such a wonderful breakfast of shirred eggs and raspberry scones. It was the best meal of our whole vacation! The two bedroom loft was more space than we needed, but wow such a well decorated and beautiful place. The view was also amazing - horses and all! They only had one night available, but we wished we could have stayed longer. They even had a little gift shop where we bought a sweatshirt and Kelly's recipes. I hope my children and grandchildren come here sometime. They would love it! BTW don't miss the amazing murals on the buildings in Ashland. A wonderful walking tour of interesting art.

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are great here.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As everyone else in this forum has commented, the owners (Mark and Kelly) are really nice, down-to-earth people. They made us feel comfortable, and the rural landscape was beautiful. Kelly made some spot-on recommendations for dining in Ashland, and a recommendation for a sweet spot on the lake. Breakfast was very good and in a relaxed atmosphere. The only negative was that I was too late in booking my reservation, and the lofts were all booked (long weekend). So we ended up with a room on the ground floor, and I am very sensitive to noise. The tramping by fellow visitors above us kept me up a while. But, I suppose, that is to be expected on the ground floor.

1  Thank hounds
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed in the Bear Den on the first floor. It was extremely clean and welcoming and had it's own air conditioning unit. Both of our breakfasts were wonderful especially the scones and I couldn't believe my husband asked for a second helping of the rhino hides! Before we arrived I injured my knee. Kelly had ziploc bags ready without asking and we had a big ice machine to use in the first floor meeting room. We regretted not being able to walk out to see the animals but the donkeys put on a great show for us a few times that we watched from our bedroom windows and all the animals, fields and barns looked very clean. We were happy with the restaurants recommended for dinner in town and the places Mark thought we might enjoy seeing. It was a delight to stay somewhere that wasn't Victorian - not that we don't enjoy that also - but it was a nice break. Mark and Kelly were wonderful and I can't say enough good things about our whole experience there. I would recommend this B&B to anyone.

1  Thank LauraMK2013
Reviewed August 29, 2013

After watching the amazing sunset over Lake Superior, we were greeted by a majestic horse galloping up the driveway of Second Wind, it's beautiful mane flowing. Later, after returning from dinner at a nearby restaurant, we joined the other guests and innkeepers around the firepit and viewed the stars of the Milky Way. Before leaving the next day, we toured the property which included a covered wagon, the rest of the horses and many other farm animals. The entire experience, including a delicious breakfast, was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Second Wind was such a peaceful, relaxing B&B that it felt like coming home! Mark and Kelly were friendly and welcoming, and the loft we stayed in was beautiful. We slept well and enjoyed a scrumptious breakfast in the morning -- the scones were especially delicious. We also had lots of fun playing with the animals.
Our whole family loved it there, and we'd have gladly stayed longer! Mark and Kelly have done an excellent job in providing a great place for people to unwind and relax. We're glad we discovered Second Wind, and we look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: The Lumberjack Loft was very comfortable, with a great view of the front of the property.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter D
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was one of the best B and Bs at which our family has stayed. The accommodations were
lovely, the food fantastic and the atmosphere was very friendly. The grandchildren enjoyed the
animals and my wife and I enjoyed the front porch swing and the cat therapy with Peter the
Great.

We highly recommend this place as the scenery is beautiful, the setting is quiet and all this made
for a restful night stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#2 of 16 in Bayfield

Been to Second Wind Country Inn? Share your experiences!