“worst hotel i stayed at”
Review of AmericInn Ashland

AmericInn Ashland
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“worst hotel i stayed at”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Staff was not helpful but rude. Room was not cleaned. Wasn't vacuumed. Hair in coffee pot, table, and tub. Pubic hair in tub. Chairs dirty. Would not move me. Told me booked. But told another lady had one room left. Desk clerk supposedly cleaned room after complaining twice. All she did was remove hair from toilet. Paper thin walls. Very noisy. Very expensive for quality. Its a motel 6 maybe. Very disappointed. I inspect hotel rooms for a living. I'd shut this one down if I had the power too. This hotel has no clue what cleanliness is or what customer service is.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere if you are a clean person who likes quality service and respect. And a semi peaceful...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gracie W
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Ashland, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Gracie W,

I am truly sorry you were so disappointed with us during your recent stay and hope you will accept my sincere apologies. We would like to learn more details about your experience here and hope you will contact me directly via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com so we can continue this conversation personally. We want to provide the best in service and accommodations to all our guests and take it very seriously when we fail. I hope you will give us a chance to make amends by contacting us at your earliest convenience.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Shawano, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times and have always had excellent service. The staff goes out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Our grandchildren LOVE the pool and Splashland. Price is reasonable and the hotel is clean and comfortable. This hotel is easy to find and not far from the downtown.

Review collected in partnership with AmericInn Hotels and Suites

KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Ashland, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear S K,

Thanks for posting another great review about your experiences with us. I'm so glad you know you can count on us for excellent service and a great stay. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back and serving you here on your future visits.

Hancock
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the AmericInn Ashland in February 2014. I chose this hotel due to the attached waterpark, its relative proximity to my home (~3 hour drive) and the deal we got by staying during the week. We were seeking a waterpark to get a break from the frigid winter we've been dealing with.

Arriving at the hotel, I was pleased with my room. Two comfortable queen beds, and a good view. There was also a good amount of floor space, something you don't always see in a regular room. Outlets are placed in convenient places for charging electronics. The shower had plenty of water pressure, and the bathroom towels were fluffy and not miniature. The front desk staff was kind and courteous.

Continental breakfast was pretty standard. They offered eggs, sausage, oatmeal, dry cereal, make your own waffles, etc., and some coffee that was not to my taste - it was a bit bitter. They did have flavored syrups and creamers for the coffee, though.

The primary reason we chose this hotel - the Waterpark. We knew it was a small park, with just two slides and a kiddie pool, so that was not a problem. I saw in an online review (but not on either the AmericInn or Splashland websites) that the pool was open until 10pm for kids, and until midnight for adults. The decor of the pool area is nice. Better than most places, it has a nice mural, and a pirate/beach theme. Nice use of accent lighting, except there is not enough total lighting. No windows face the sun and there is little overhead lighting - it was fairly dark in there, and not in a mood-setting kind of way.

BUT it was not until actually entering the pool area when we arrived that we discovered the waterpark hours were only 4pm-9pm on weekdays. Seeing that we were there during the week, there were many hours that the waterpark was not open. The pool was still open, yes, and the hot tub, but the reason we even considered this hotel was the waterpark, because it had been, and was still, much too cold to do any outdoor adventures.

I don't know why this information is not available on the website. The webpage for Ashland Splashland has a homepage, but clicking any link on it redirects you to the AmericInn page which has little specific information about the hotel. I realize that they only had waterpark hours when there was a lifeguard on duty, but the fact that I did not see this anywhere on the website still leaves me steamed.

The little bar inside the pool area was a nice touch, but we tried some of the other appetizers on the menu and they were pretty soggy, I'm not sure how they cooked them, it seemed like they were microwaved when I would've expected them to be fried. The pizzas smelled good, with many different choices, but we didn't order one after the disappointing appetizers.

The hotel itself does deserve a 4/5, I guess, based on the value and the quality. I might take my family back again someday, but not in the winter when it is so cold you can't take kids outside to do anything during the many hours the slides are not open. If I had had the hours information ahead of time, we would have gone somewhere else for this trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake Superior view.
1 Thank Nicole K
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Ashland, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Nicole K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and post your remarks about your experience with us. You have a very good point about the information about our waterpark hours of operation being incomplete on our website, and we are working to rectify that as soon as possible. I am truly sorry for disappointing you, and would like the chance to make amends and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com at your convenience so we can discuss this further. We value your business and your feedback about our operation and our appetizers, which we will use to make improvements. I look forward to hearing from you soon so we can regain your trust.

Winfield
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The staff was super nice ,I made my reservations over the phone and I had two guys meeting there about 5 hours before I was there and they let them check in on my credit card without me being there which is very helpful. the staff was awesome when I got there because they had my room keys ready so all I did was show them my ID and got my room keys right away and the person at the front desk also told me about the ice caves and where to eat that was good also the rooms smelled awesome!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Mike S,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I'm glad you were happy with how we handled your reservation and your friends, and appreciate your compliments. I hope you will let us serve you here again.

Plover, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I don't normally write reviews, but I had to, since this hotel is wonderful. The waterpark is great for the kids. No, it's not a Wisconsin Dells waterpark, but it is perfect for the kids to burn off energy and have fun. I especially loved that they have lifejackets for your use. Thoughtful! The rooms were clean and well-kept, and the breakfast was tasty. Who doesn't love waffles? This is by far the best hotel experience we've ever had, and we won't stay anywhere else when in Ashland!

Dear Maureen R,

Thanks for making your very first TA review about your recent stay with us. I'm glad we exceeded your expectations and that you had a great time while you were here. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Ashland.

Pine City
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Went to the ice castles and stayed here- we have always had good expirience at Americinn. Jody - operations director was super friendly and great at checkout. Clean rooms great housekeeping staff- VERY NICE rooms- clean- well appointed. They have a waterpark and I was dismayed with the lifeguard who spent her time on the outside of the park in the pool area visiting with guys. Anne seemed uninterested in overseeing the kids and adults using the slides. Most lifeguards in waterparks are super vigilant about watching the guests. Otherwise the stay was great-

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear wolfhollow,

Thanks for posting your review and 5 star rating. I'm very sorry that Anne was not performing her job as she should, and are glad you brought this to our attention. I will certainly use your comments in discussions and training to make necessary improvements so this does not continue or recur. Jody is terrific and inspires all of us to do our best with every guest, every day. I'll be sure she receives the recognition she deserves for being mentioned here by you. I hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your trust on a future visit.

Houghton
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Thin walls & poor life guards. Life guards were too busy socializing to pay attention & we could hear everything going on in the room next to us. Snack shop in pool area had nice friendly staff my children loved the cheese pizza!

1 Thank Amy H
KenJacobs, Guest Relations Manager at AmericInn Ashland, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Amy H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your disappointment with us during your recent stay. I'm very sorry for the poor performance of our lifeguards, and for the discomfort and disturbance you experienced in your room. We'd like the opportunity to learn more about your stay and hope you will contact us via kenjacobs@zmchotels.com, so we can discuss this further, and hopefully make amends so that you can come back and see us at our best.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 16 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to AmericInn Ashland? Share your experiences!