“Stay anywhere else!”

Anderson's Chequamegon Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ashland
Anderson's Chequamegon Motel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

These people are scammers. I booked a room bc I had a wedding in Ashland and most other hotels in the area were booked. I called the day before arrival to get a quote for a single queen/double bed for two people they told me $59. When I got there they had me down for 2 beds for $79 after having to argue with people that barely speak English I was given a room with one bed for what I was quoted plus the 12% tax. When I got into the room, I was horrified. There were stains on the bed, lamp shades, shower curtain, floor, anywhere you looked. The ac unit had a nob that was broken off so you couldn't even use it, the "fridge" was warmer that the room, and there were black specks on the sheets. (bed bugs?) We had to get to a wedding so we were forced to change there which was awful because I didn't want to touch anything. Thinking of having to come back to sleep, I started crying because I couldn't imagine sleeping there. So my boyfriend and I went to the front and asked if we could just get our money back, we could sleep on my grandma's floor. They told us they could only give us back the 59 room rate and they keep the 12% tax. I don't see how they can legally keep a tax when no service was rendered. If it was a handling fee or something, maybe I could understand. After arguing with the woman at the front for 10 min her husband came to the front and I had to argue with him until he finally gave me a full refund after I told them I was calling the better business bureau. After all this I had to go to my bank because they still had my credit card # to cancel that cc and get a new one. So if you are considering Anderson motel, don't. It's the worst experience I have ever had with a motel.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank paigecamp

Reviewed February 25, 2013

When you check in and pay, make sure to bring your calculator in with you into the office because you are a "stupid American". It is a nice clean motel with a gentle stream running in the back and a decent view of the lake. However, you have to remember the price and the 12% tax for the area and if you do not pay attention they will tack on as much money as they can because they obviously assume you are an idiot and cannot do math. They try to nickel and dime you with an extra 1 dollar to 5 dollars if you are not paying attention. When I paid my weekly rate she tried to charge an extra 150$!! then she just kept trying to scam me... I asked her if she had a calculator and she said no.. then when I said I wanted to go to my car and get mine, she took hers out of the drawer. She had one the whole time. I finally got the honest rate after calculating it myself.

I do recommend the rooms and the views for this cozy little joint.. but DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO AND DO YOUR OWN CALCULATIONS.

They are obviously having a hard time staying in business, so if someone honest is looking for an investment you could really make this place work when the current owners are forced to sell either by their ineptitude or dishonesty.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the lake if you like the view and the stream in the back.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank the_antler
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The minute we walked into the room, my sister said how pleasantly surprised she was with the room. We booked the room as a quick stopover from Ontanogan on our drive to Minneapolis, MN. My main consideration was the price. We arrived about 7pm and check in was quick and simple. Plenty of parking, actually easy parking if you were towing a boat, which we were not but a couple people were. We were amazed how big the room was. And Lake Superior is just across HWY US2. I read the previous review and think the motel is now under a new owner and has been re done.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Deb32655
Reviewed October 1, 2009

We stayed the night in Ashland, WI on our wonderful 22-day road trip in September, 2009. Unfortunately, we ended up in a small cheap motel on the main street across from the lake. Anderson Motel had a sign out front showing it was an "AAA" approved motel, so we rented a room for $40 cash. We were exhausted after 14 hours of driving from Toronto, CAnada. All we wanted was a nice night's sleep in a soft bed, so we entered the room and it smelled discusting. A non-smoking room, it was heavily stained with nicotine. During the night, I didn't sleep much at all, because of the bad smell coming up from the carpet or under the bed. I was not brave enough to look further, so I just layed there all night. My husband is a heavy sleeper, so he wasn't affected by the smells, which kept me up all night. Please avoid Anderson Motel. It is discusting.

4  Thank dapplemerlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Super 8 Ashland
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Second Wind Country Inn
Second Wind Country Inn
#1 of 4 in Ashland

Been to Anderson's Chequamegon Motel? Share your experiences!