“OMG! Great Beer! Great Food! Great Service!”
Review of Deep Water Grill

Deep Water Grill
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Duluth, Minnesota
“OMG! Great Beer! Great Food! Great Service!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Just because you make beer in small batches doesn't mean you are any good at it. South Shore Brewery is the #1 exception to what sadly has become a cacophony of wannabe "craft brew" pubs. We of course got the flight and of the seven 4 were outstanding and the rest were compentently done. Normally my snotty palate might go for one or two of a pubs offerings.

Now the food was fresh, looked great, served up quickly, and tasted great. One of us had a steak and the other a sandwich. Two thumbs up on the sweet potato fries!

And the service was attentive. There are enough people working there (a rare treat in the north) and they know how to treat a guest. Prices very fair (leaves more money for beer!).

These guys "hit for the cycle" - exceptional!

They actually call themselves "Deep Water Grille" by the way.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank MoccasinMike

Medford
“Excellent Place”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We eat here whenever we get to Ashland. Never had a bad or even fair meal. Its always been great. You have to try their whitefish and local made beer

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Jim715
Ashland, Wisconsin
“Unacceptable Indeed.”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Hubby and I opted for a special date night around 7PM. We were recognizing a significant time in our lives and opted to try the Deep Water Grill as we heard nice things about it. It was our first time there. We arrived and waited for a bit to be seated. Nice bartender and she seemed very informed of the wide selection of beverages. Our buzzer went off and we proceeded to follow our server up the stairs into what can best be described as a very small and cramped dining area. Something that would be best suited for someone wanting to order a quick lunch or perhaps a solo customer who ordered a pizza or wings and such. The dining table size itself was approximately 2’ x 2.5’. The atmosphere presented a cramped feeling would be an understatement.

By the time our waiter had brought our water glasses, our beverage selection, and the roll basket the tiny table was full. We opted to put our water glasses on the shelf/railing on the wall to accommodate our beverages. We also placed our empty roll basket on the railing too.

We proceeded to place an appetizer and our main entrée order. We specifically requested from our server not to rush our entrées as we were here to relax and enjoy ourselves. In fact we asked that we be allowed just to enjoy the appetizers and beverages before our entrée was served and she acknowledged our request.

Our server came back with the unfortunate news that what my hubby had originally ordered was now not available. He opted for something else while reviewing the choices in the menu paying close attention to the ingredients as one thing his stomach doesn’t like is cilantro. We basically finished our beverages, all of our water and ate the one roll we were each given and yet waited for our appetizers to arrive.

Finally our appetizer arrived. The appetizer plate would not fit on the tiny table and a cumbersome attempt by our server to distribute our small plates to use when selecting from the appetizer plate was offered. Hubby and I began to roll our eyes as we felt the mood for our evening out was diminishing. I placed my plate in my hand and opted to make a few selections from the appetizer plate and ate while I held my plate. We were getting hungry and yes the appetizer was tasty.

Upon our server returning to ask how was the appetizers; we explained the table was too small and unacceptable. We inquired if we could be seated in the lower level of the restaurant. As this was our first time here we noticed other couples enjoying a table of 4 all by themselves. In fact a different couple was eating at a table of six by themselves. They seem to really be enjoying themselves. We opted to finish our appetizers at the very small table to allow our server time to set up a table for us downstairs. We attempted to brush off the not so good start and focused on our much anticipated entrees.

We basically ended up rushing through the appetizer as our server returned with the abrupt annoucement that in fact our entrees were now on the table downstairs waiting for us. We quickly finished our appetizers, gathered our water glasses and our jackets, my purse and made our ways downstairs.

I had ordered the Fettuccini Alfredo with the option of adding chicken and shrimp. I had also order a cup of decaffeinated coffee with my meal. We sat down and I opted for a sip of my coffee. The coffee was so bitter I believe it was sitting around for quite some time. That or the server served me regular coffee that had a very robust taste to it. It was warm at best. My hubby sampled the coffee and thought it was awful too.

In the meantime, hubby noticed Cilantro on his plate. He motioned for our server who they both reviewed the menu and no mention in the description of the entrée included cilantro; yet sure enough it was generously on top of his entrée. Therefore, hubby began to attempt to remove much of what he could see knowing he wasn’t a fan of cilantro at all.

Meanwhile, I opted to cut into the several long strips of chicken on my plate and found the chicken to be raw in the center of several pieces. Not one piece but 2 pieces were raw and other pieces definitely under cooked. There were 3 grilled shrimp on the plate and they appeared ‘rubbery’ and dried out. Anyone who enjoys seafood can recognize when seafood has been freezer burnt and this would be the case what was placed in front of me. I cut into one piece of shrimp and it was so chewy and it even tasted old. I became concerned with the taste itself. Many of the noodles were dried out too. And the meal was basically warm to where the sauce was no longer hot and the ingredients of the alfreado sauce itself had begun to separate from one another. I really should have taken a picture of this entrée so that you could see just how unappetizing it appeared. I basically lost my appetite. Yet an abundance of alfrado sauce was used to apparently yet magically disguise the unacceptable seafood and noodles.

My hubby was super hungry by this time and attempted to eat the meal despite the taste of cilantro. He himself had to quit eating his meal. He finished his water and mine just to try and get the taste of Cilantro out of his mouth.

I pushed my entire entrée toward the center of the table and placed the lovely cloth napkin on the table. I opted to eat another dinner roll. Our server realized the meal was substandard and brought us a menu asking us to consider yet something else on the menu. She herself saw the unacceptable entrees and yet came back with two tin foil lined left over containers. We simply shook our heads in dismay as if either of these meals we’d consider taking home for left overs to enjoy.

Our server stated she’d have the manger come over. The manager appeared and stated and I quote: “what didn’t you like about your meal”; as if raw chicken, old dried out shrimp and old noodles is what we had ordered. The manager basically stated she’d not have us pay for my entrée it as it was unacceptable. I pointed out the raw chicken and she herself could clearly acknowledged the rubbery shrimp and dried out noodles. Yet hubby explained to the manager that if they are going to shower something like cilantro over an entire meal; perhaps stating so on your lovely menus would be suggested. After all, great detail to the overall menu was offered on all selections.

To make matters worse we noticed our server standing with 2 of her coworkers and apparently discussing her dissatisfied customers. They turned and looked in our direction and smirked as they did; as if we were not to complain.

I guess we did end up with a memorable evening at Deep Water Grill indeed; of course not the one we preferred or anticipated. I say NO to this eating establishment and would not recommend it in the future.

We drove to a different place and opted to see what they had available as we were both obviously still hungry. Upon striking up a conversation with a few people at this establishment, they too stated the food quality has really dipped at the Deep Water Grill recently. Another group of people who apparently heard of our disastrous experience stated they too had a very poor eating experience within the last two weeks at the Deep Water Grill too. One man did say the beverages and wings at the Deep Water Grill were really good however.

Perhaps a thorough review of what is allowed out of the kitchen at the Deep Water Grill should be taken a lot more seriously as the coincidence of this evening just couldn’t be considered isolated incidents at all. Not a fan whatsoever of Deep Water Grill. We give it a D+ . Totally unacceptable.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank bjweber1907
Kenosha, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best fish ever”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We loved the Lake Superior white fish even the kids loved it, I wish it were closer to home. I hope I get the oppertunity to visit Ashland in the future, I would definitely eat at the Deep Water Grill Again.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Kitt S
Knife River, Minnesota
“Families are welcome here”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We ate at the Deepwater for two dinners during the Book Across the Bay ski/snowshoe weekend with our family of 13. We were able to make a reservation, had wonderful friendly service, and enjoyed the beer tasting, delicious gourmet food and basic sandwiches. The kid's meals included large quantities of fruit! We will return!

Visited February 2013

Been to Deep Water Grill? Share your experiences!