“surly clerk upon check out”

Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on Nov 1st and found a clean room and was quite comfortable there. Friday night fish fry in Molly Coopers was delicious. Good selection of tap beers and I was able to take a summit red to my room when i was done with dinner. The broiled whitefish was tasty and I loved the wild rice chowder. Upon check out around 630 am I said good morning to the clerk cheerfully and he literally growled or grunted at me. Things got worse from there when he started discussing charging my credit card, I explained I paid using hotwire so there should not be a charge. The clerk took a surly tone and said he would need to charge hotwires credit card. This interaction was not a good start to my day.

Room Tip: The street side was noisy and sound proofing not great.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jods1000
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Jods 1000,
I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time at our property. With the exception of our night auditor or course. I can assure you that your issues will be addressed and I do invite you back to visit us again real soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have driven past the Hotel Chequamegon many times and finally had a chance to stay this past October. We did not have a reservation and took a chance on the Friday of Apple Fest weekend (Bayfield) that they might have a room. We were lucky and got in. Hot cookies and a very helpful and friendly front desk clerk awaited us upon arrival. Sadly, we had terrible weather and couldn't quite enjoy the beautiful Lake Superior location, but did take a quick walk along the shore. Dinner and drinks in the pub/restaurant were just fine (a little long for dinner to come out), with a solid menu and well prepared food. The room was spacious and comfortable and clean. The outside of the hotel leads you to think it might be more "lodge-like" than it is, but a nice standard hotel room was all we needed. Plenty to enjoy and do in the area. I'd call this a winner in the Northwoods!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Julieki,
I can only invite you to come back in the summer when the weather is perfect. We have a wonderful walking trail that sits right behind the Hotel which is perfect for a sunset stroll. Please do keep us in mind for your future stays in Ashland.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

In the heart of the city, over looking Lake Superior. Excellent staff and service. Rooms are clean and comfortable. I have stayed here a few times and will come back to this hotel again. Staff is knowlegdable regarding current activities of the city and where the best local restaurants are to dine at. Beds are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy S

Dear Amy S,
Thank you so much for choosing our property. I am so excited to hear that you had a wonderful time and please feel free to contact me directly to help book any of your future stays!

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of traveling to Ashland, WI. on business. Not only did I enjoy the surroundings but was provided a magnificent place to lay my head at night. This hotel will take you back in time to when a guest was treated with respect, courtesy, and pampering. The hotel itself is a grand Lady of the Lake as she sits on the shores of Lake Superior and you have ample access to the shores and marina. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and include all amenities necessary to make your stay pleasurable. The hotel décor is amazing and contains many antique pieces. The hotel even has a beautiful sitting room with a cozy fireplace that will warm the coldest of travelers. If you are hungry, there is an onsite eatery called "Molly Coopers". A combination tavern and dinning are much along the idea of a PUB. The menu is the same as the main dining area and it is superb! I had my favorite of all fish, Walleye served with garlic potatoes, green beans and bread stick. They also provide a free breakfast to guests. Items such as biscuits and gravy, pancakes, fresh fruit, juices and of course coffee. An indoor pool and workout area also is available.
The cost of my stay was not even close to what I received.
I was very sad to have to move on from the hotel but this is a place I will return to, whether it be on business or vacation.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the lake be sure to ask for available rooms overlooking Superior.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Danny A
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Danny A,
Thank you so much for choosing our property and yes we love our business guests! In fact we are striving to grow our corporate base and it is so wonderful to hear that we were the perfect fit for business travelers such as yourself!

If you do make it back to our area for whatever may be the reason; please do not hesitate to contact me directly to schedule your reservation. i would be happy to assist you in any manner that I am able too.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very nice place with a great view. I would stay there again! They have a deck on the main area behind the lobby that was so relaxing. Also a fireplace that everyone could enjoy if they choose. A great bar and dining area for travelers who did not want to get in the car again to find a place to eat. The rooms were very quiet which is such a plus after a long day of fun.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Colleen C

Dear Colleen C,
Thank you so much for staying at our property! Keep in mind that Best Western does offer a frequent guest reward program that would be a great fit if you are able to make it back for the visit. You might even have a free night stay on us! Travel safely!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We would stay at the Best Western again. The staff was very helpful. We enjoyed the hot tub and the swimming pool, which were very clean. Breakfast left a little bit to desire but the coffee was great.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Cathie E,
I am so happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I thank you for the business and please do keep us in mind for any future trips to Ashland.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel is charming! The view is gorgeous but lost from the tiny windows! The rooms are small but clean and the bathrooms are small, Overall it was fun to be in Ashland! Great places to eat just blocks away and really nice people.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing our property! We love to work with guests to make sure your stay is exceptional! Please come back to visit us again when you are back in Ashland!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Quality Inn Ashland
#2 of 16 in Bayfield
Second Wind Country Inn
Second Wind Country Inn
#1 of 4 in Ashland

Been to Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon? Share your experiences!