“Tired hotel”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
thunder bay ontario
“Tired hotel”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was a disappointment. The room was dark and the smoke alarm yellow with either age or smoke ( or both). The chairs at the dining tsble in our very small suite were dirty One with blood stains the other with what appeared to be urine stains. The very pleasant clerk removed them at our request and appeared to be appropriately horrified by them, but did not have extra chairs available to replace them so we did without. The room and hotel smell of old and mouldy furniture. The town and staff were charming and we enjoyed our visit to Ashland in spite of he hotel would not stay here again however will visit Ashland soon.

1 Thank elsier33
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
On behalf of Hotel Chequamegon I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. To my understanding Kristina did try to find replacement chairs for your room but she was unable to locate any. I did follow up with my housekeeping department today as this is simply not acceptable to have dirty furniture in any room. I do invite you to reserve your next stay with me directly and I would be happy to ensure your stay is enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel is very impressive looking from the street and lake, but the guest rooms are just ok.
We entered our room and were greeted with the strong odor of stale cigarette smoke. Since the hotel was booked, the manager sent the crew up to ionize the room and try to freshen it, which worked ok for the night we were there. She also comped us some drinks, which helped with the inconvenience.

Jane the manager is working hard, but unfortunately the Best Western Chain needs to invest in some capital improvements for this hotel. We stayed on a Thursday night with a AAA discount so pricing was just over $115, I would not pay much more for a room here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Hi Julie, Thank you so much for the compliment. I do strive to make each guest's experience great and I will do what it takes to accomplish that goal. I am also glad to hear that the few quick fixes we made to the room made your stay more enjoyable and I do invite you to revisit us again. Thank you for your review!
Mchenry, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Very nice hotel with a scenic location, and a very scenic area. Expect ice and snow in April. A little on the expensive side. Must get the lakeside view to justify the price. Very friendly, helpful staff.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Summer is our busiest time of the year and our rates do increase since so many of our guests love being on Lake Superior when it isn't frozen solid. We do offer a Northland College discount to the family members of students that attend there. We just ask to see a student id in order for us to apply the discount. Be sure to ask us for it the next time your're in town! Best to you and your new college student!
Madison, WI
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel since it opened in the mid 1980's. It recently became affiliated with the Best Western Chain. As a result, prices have increased considerably and service and quality have declined. During a recent stay, linens were not changed, towels were not replaced, there was no toilet tissue or facial tissue and the bathroom was not clean. Light bulbs were of such a low wattage that it was impossible to read. Furnishings in the rooms are more sparse and the rooms have a cold, unwelcome feeling to them. It is time to look for somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: There are better choices in the Ashland area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul R
I apologize that your last stay didn't meet your expectations and I am pleased to see that you have booked two additional stays with us in the very near future. Please feel free to address all of your concerns that you may have with me immediately upon check in so I can resolve these matters quickly and you are able to better enjoy your stay.
Muskego, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Charming historic hotel with appropriate updates. Beautifully sited on Lake Superior. Decent assortment of breakfast items. Wonderful outdoor dining overlooking the Lake. Excellent food and service. Only drawback is they have but one elevator. And it runs fairly slowly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for choosing The Hotel Chequamegon and I am glad you had a wonderful stay. I agree our elevator is really slow, however I have no idea how or where for that matter we could add another one. I guess it is just one of those things that we love to hate! Thank you again for visiting us and please come back to see us again! All the best in your travels!
Canyon Country, United States
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very reasonably priced. Clean. Easy access to WiFi In walking distance to downtown Ashland. Friendly and knowledgeable lobby staff. Handicap room did not have a blow dryer; not sure if other rooms have them. Spacious bed, but not comfortable for sleeping.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for staying at our property. We do have hair dryers in each room but they are in the drawers under the TV along with the extra blanket. Why they are in here I have no idea. They are full-sized and I am unable to mount them to the wall. Otherwise I am thrilled that you loved us and I invite you to come back to see us again soon!
Ashland, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed this past weekend at the Hotel Chequamegon in Ashland, WI- the room was nearly $480 for two nights in a King Suite- which meant nothing as there were no extra amenities unless you count a mini-fridge. The room had the worst fish smell when we arrived- I was sure someone had fileted a fish and stuck it under the bed before we got there. We turned up the AC and made the best of it. The fish odor did seem to get better hours after we alerted the hotel staff and they did offer to swap our room for an emergency room that was on the other side facing town- but it didn't have a king bed. The bed was not at all comfortable and we were happy that we brought along our own pillows so that we could get some sleep while we were there. Very disappointing for the price that we paid to stay there. This is not a place that I would recommend. Turns out the town if full of locally owned motels that do not show up in an online Google search.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

2 Thank Rebecca G
Sadly the 'Fishy' smell you mention is attributed to our famous July visitors that we call Bay Bugs. They only show up for about a week and yes they do smell like fish. We pull the A/C units immediately once we have a report of the odor to correct the issue. I am delighted to hear that my staff tried to correct the issue; unfortunately we only had city-side standard rooms left. I do invite to revisit us again when the little critters are not around.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
AmericInn Ashland
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to BEST WESTERN The Hotel Chequamegon? Share your experiences!