“Beautifull hotel and great staff”

Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
“Beautifull hotel and great staff”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We booked this hotel for my wifes birthday in August. We were greeted by a quite friendly desk clerk and fresh cookies. Our room was very nice with a view of the Chequamegon Bay off Lake Superior. The pool and hot tub area were very nice. In the hall by the pool area were pictures from about 60-100 years ago of ashland wi. That was fun seeing them. Breakfast was good with something I had never seen in a hotel before. Thye have a pancake machine, you push a button and two pancakes are on your plate in less then 2 minutes. Close to downtown and the bandshell next door which had a hymn sing we went to. We would gladly stay there again.

Room Tip: The bay side is the nicest and room are cheaper on sunday vs fri and sat nights.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimkip

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Arrived after dark-room was ready and waiting-helpful cheerful staff.. and downstairs a great place to eat - good food,comfortable, quiet and accomodating staff! Elevator- wonderful view of the water,quiet room, breakfast available in the morning with eggs,sausage,toast, and fruits and other choices!
Stayed on second floor-quiet-lights a bit dim-could use a bit more light in the room-clean-
Would recommend to others for business or leisure travel-would be a great location for an event or wedding!

Room Tip: Rooms on the lake side have a wonderful view-but city side is a tad cheaper and you can go sit on th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tennessee
Reviewed September 20, 2012

When I first laid eyes on the Hotel Chequamegon, I thought I was hallucinating. After all, it is part of the Best Western chain and, honestly, I have grown to expect them to be a couple notches down the ladder from Holiday Inn Express. Well, maybe their standards are getting better. All I can say is that this particular hotel, a copy of a historic building that burned down, is wonderful. The ambiance is unbelievable. Walking down the hallway to my room, it felt like I was in Petoskey's Perry Hotel. The room was excellent. The food was delicious. Everything about this place was outstanding - and Ashland, with bright and inviting murals on the old buildings, is a great town.

Room Tip: A room with a view of Lake Superior is the way to go.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nickjackson2008
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were happy to arrive at the pretty and historic hotel after a lovely (and long) drive across the northern peninsula of MI. Rooms were clean (not immaculate). Service was good but the staff kind of left us hanging when it came to finding parking for our car and small trailer. We ended up having to stake out the parking lot until we could grab a pull through spot. The restaurant was more like a pub-- wouldn't recommend for dinner but maybe if you're keen to grab a pint it would be okay. Gorgeous location right on the water and just off the main road out of town. The breakfast was massive-- tons of selection but the pancake machine wasn't working. Very good start to the morning overall though.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank eklav817
Onaway, Michigan
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is obviously an older building, however... the lobby is beautiful and the furniture is just lovely. I found all the rooms were small but it really didnt mean much. My room was a singe bed. It was VERY clean and smelled great upon opening the door. The bath room was the tub/toilet style with an external sink. The bath room floor and toilet/shower was very clean and shiney. I was very pleased with a city side room which was relativly quiet.
I had the free breakfast which was very good with breads, bagles, boiled eggs, cereal, coffee etc.
The front desk girl seemed a bit out of sorts.. like she was new? But I was ok with that. I travel tax exempt for work and they never questioned me and upon providing my tax ID, they did not need a tax exempt form. Often times at hotels, its a big drama deal to get a simple tax exempt status by just showing my credit card. This was NOT the case here :)

The only complaints I would have is, the A/C is a standard window conditioner mounted in the wall and was a bit noisey, and my mattress could be switched out.. it was just a bit saggy. However, the room colors were nice and it seemed like the paint was fresh. It definatly felt more homey than other places I have stayed.
The view from the lake view deck is so nice and they have chairs and tables out side. I did not use the restaurant or bar.
I would definatly stay there again and recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: The water view side would have a good view, however my city side room was fine and I believe they ar...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Palmer Lake, Colorado
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were surprised at the location, view, hotel amenities, friendly staff and, of course, the closeness to a surprisingly beautiful city - Ashland. The hotel looked out over Lake Superior and the Bayfield Peninsula to the north. It was only 50 feet from the Ashland Rail Trail so our morning run was ease to access. Our room was big, clean, and well furnished. For dinner we wandered into Ashland downtown , only 3 blocks away, and enjoyed the small city atmosphere and its wonderful murals painted on the buildings' side depicting historic Ashland and Wisconsin events. The hotel is a landmark recreation and is worth the visit as is the city.

Room Tip: Prices after Labor Day were cut in half making even the most expensive rooms very affordable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We were camping in Northern Wisconsin when our car broke down. We had to have our car towed to a garage in Ashland, WI. Being it a holiday weekend, we were stuck for at least 2 days with no option. The garage called the Hotel Chequamegon and Carrie at the front desk provided us with a special rate and we checked in.
The hotel is wonderful, everything was very clean and well maintained. We ended up having breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the hotel, and all the meals were very good. The view is wonderul also.
The real hero is Carrie who works the front desk. We had to get to the campsite and retrieve our gear, about 1/2 hour away. She was so kind, she loaned us her car to go get our stuff. What an angel.
Then, just when we thought our car was going to be fixed, the mechanic left for the day, so I was stuck for another night. Carrie had put a "maintenance hold" on our room, just in case. I was able to check back into our room, only to find out the hotel was sold out for the night. She was a savior again.
Everyone at the hotel was terrific.
We will return to this hotel and enjoy a stress free vacation in the future.

Room Tip: If you can, book a lake view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Erik W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
AmericInn Ashland
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 15 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon? Share your experiences!