“Courteous staff, "charming" old hotel with lovely views”

Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Washington, DC
“Courteous staff, "charming" old hotel with lovely views”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I ended up in this hotel on a work trip with 9 foreign delegates and two intepreters after the Bad River hotel misplaced our reservation and had no rooms available. We all agreed it was a switch for the better. While it's clear that the interior (rooms and common areas of lobby and hallways) have not been updated since this hotel's heyday, it is still somewhat charming, and the staff was so accomdating and friendly that I didn't mind the outdated decor. The best part of the hotel are the two decks (upper and lower) overlooking Lake superior and a lovely marina.
Surprisingly good food at the hotel restaurant (lots of fresh fish options that come right out of the lake) with generous portions. My delegates thought it was strange that such a nice restaurant with cloth napkins and higher priced entrees would serve tartar sauce/salad dressing in plastic cups, but it didn't even occur to me- I was too busy enjoying my blackened walleye dinner!
"Continental" breakfast was included in price of the room, which happily included hardboiled eggs, yogurt cups, and peanut butter in addition to the normal continental fare. A local told me that this is a new feature, so I hope they continue offering such a nice breakfast.
While the hotel is by no means chic, but definitely a bit shabby, I enjoyed my stay and always rate customer service as one of the most important parts of a hotel stay, especially on a business trip. For that, they receive 5 stars from me for accomodating a large group on short notice, honoring the government rate, and having the keys and paperwork ready for all the rooms when we arrived a half hour after I booked the rooms. It also seemed to be the most scenic option in Ashland.

Room Tip: If you are staying for pleasure, spend the extra $20 room for a lake view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Park Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The Hotel Chequamegon is a filthy, disgusting dump! The room they gave me was so dirty, I requested another. Although they didn't want to, I convinced them to put me in a different room, hoping it would be cleaner. But it wasn't. The new room they stuck me in was just as filthy and gross.

This is the nastiest Hotel I've ever seen! The room smelled even worse than garbage. The carpet and walls were filthy. The bathroom was so moldy, it made me want to vomit. There were stains on the bed sheets.

But that wasn't the worst part. The service was just awful. The employees are rude and unhelpful. I was even cursed at by an employee for no reason! I will never stay at this mold-infested dump ever again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Paul54552
TeamAshland, Manager at Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
All of our rooms have been renovated this last winter and we pride ourself on our cleanliness and courtious staff. Are headhousekeeper inspects rooms daily and there was no reports of any problems in any of the rooms. I am sorry that your stay was bad, we do hope you will try us again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Beautiful facility, but sooo noisy! When a door gets shut, all the doors in the hall shake. A couple calls in the middle of the night ( 1:30am and 2:am) to ask for help from noisy guests only seemed to interrrupt the sleepy night auditor and I got absolutely no assistance. The staff was insensitve and un-empowered to deal. I was there for a function in the community starting at 6am, but could not attend due to LACK OF SLEEP. The front desk clerk did reduce my 2 night stay by $7 and some change.............

Room Tip: suggest no room near the lobby or outside deck area.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank birdlady71
Minnesota
Reviewed May 29, 2011

The hotel is an old restored upscale hotel in good condition and maintained, structurally sound, with no noise from adjacent rooms or hallways. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious, the bathrooms looked new and functioned well, the beds were comfortable, and there was a coffee maker, and a newer flat-screen TV with full cable selections. We were in a corner room on a cool day; there was a thermostat for the baseboard heat, plus heat from the A/C unit if needed, but the room was comfortable. There was an elevator off the spacious lobby, and a sitting room with a fireplace overlooking Lake Superior and a marina below; we were part of a small group of family attending a college graduation, and the staff let us use the sitting room for a quiet party before going to bed. They even let us use our own wine. There is a swimming pool and excercise room on the walkout basement level, but we didn't use them. There is also a bar and two dining rooms on that level, overlooking the lake, and the food was excellent. I was expecting the usual sandwhich menu but there was an excellent selection of entries, salads, and appetisers. After agonizing over the selections I surprised myself, selecting a half-pound burger that was outstanding, with a bakery bun, and a fruit plate instead of fries. I don't drink, but my companions said the drinks were excellent. It was lunch, and they all had a Bloody Mary that was large, and garnished with vegetables and a large shrimp.
Breakfast was modest, but plenty of it-- cereal, bagels, and small danish rolls, coffee and milk, or tea, served in a large dining room off the lobby. There was a computer in the sitting room to use for checking emails.
We walked down to the marina from the hotel and when we turned to look at the hotel, with the town in the background, it deserved a photo, looking like a grand old hotel. Also, if you take a walk, stop in for a laook at the Catholic church nearby, it's beautifully restored.
There's a Walgreens Drug across the street, and a Burger King nearby. We had dinner at the Deepwater Grill a few blcoks away, and enjoyed excellent broiled Walleye and Whitefish. They had a good wine selection. It appeared to be a popular spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sofanon
Baraboo
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Stay at this Hotel on May 6th, and 7th, 2011. My Wife had a funeral service there for her Mother who want her reception in Ashland Her home town. We live in Baraboo, Wisconsin and did all the arrangements from telpehone with the hotel. this staff and hotel went above there call of duty to help accommodate all of our wishes. I have a daughter in law and greand daughter that are gluten free they made them a dish so they could enjoy the party with out having troble with there diet. Order a cake last minute they help us get that together. The viewis just the most wonderful view of the lake you would every want. When they say God Country this is truely God Country. The Convention room was set up and decorate the best Iv'e seen. I really can't say enough of how great the staff and accomodation were at this hotel Go to Ashland and stay there it great.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Louisiana
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Have stayed at Hotel Chequamegon many times. Lovely old building, right on the lake. The newer section of the hotel is not as nice, some of the rooms are pretty dingy - but still a great place overall. Great views, very friendly staff, and the restaurant is incredible. They've had some head chefs through there, over the years, that you might expect to find in larger cities with bigger venues. Creative food, excellent service, good prices. They do a great walleye, some incredible stuffed chicken breasts, etc., all with a view of mighty Lake Superior. Cheqaumegon is a good deal. Kind of romantic even, I guess.

• Stayed March 2010
3 Thank GiveMeEat
HotelChequamegonGM, General Manager at Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon, responded to this review, September 29, 2014
Glad to hear that you have stayed many times over. we look forward to your visits and stays at our hotel! Our incredible staff love hearing compliments from guest such this one and are pleased that they can make your stay one to remember. Thank you again for staying with us, hope to see you again!
St.Paul, MN
Reviewed November 20, 2010

We enjoyed our stay. The hotel is beautiful and our room had tall ceilings, newly decorated, lovely views. The service at the hotel and Pub was friendly and attentive plus the food was very good. We would highly recommend this hotel and we will be back

• Stayed November 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
AmericInn Ashland
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 16 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon? Share your experiences!