“July 4th stay”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ashland
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“July 4th stay”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We couldn't get a room in Bayfield, which was our first choice. The young man showed us a room on first floor and it smelled terrible. We asked to see another room (2nd floor) and it was better. it certainly wasn't worth the over $115 price - even though it did have a nice view of the lake and the fireworks. The waitress at the cafe the next morning was very cranky with all of her customers. The restaurant next door was very accommodating for dinner the night before and the food was wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask to see a room on the 2nd floor - much better view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
bensenville
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed two nights with our 3 yr. old grandson. Adorable on the outside, cute lobby, updated cafe. Room on parking lot side, two quuen beds, comfy, crowded feeling and 1950's feeling. Bathroom needed remodeling desperately and the tub plumbing definitely needs work. Pool area is geared more for 10 to adults. To get into the pool you jump in 3-5 feet or climb down the ladder. Pool was on the chilly side, hot tub on the hot hot side. Reasonably priced breakfasts in the cafe and yummy. Keys are a pain. I think this lodge was recently purchased and the new owners and staff are not seasoned inn keepers. They seemed a little disorganized.
Disappointed. Overpriced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank chris g

Travelers are raving about these Ashland hotels

Rice Lake, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm a truck driver who doesn't have the luxury of just pulling off the road at whatever motel looks inviting.I have to do a little planning on the location and leave my trailer at my last customer stop,which happened to be a local redi-mix company in the Ashland area.I made a reservation here because last fall I stayed a couple of times with very good results.This time proved to be very different.I checked in and was greeted very professionaly, when given my room key I noticed I was on the back side of motel and upstairs which to me doesn't make sence when your still in your slow season but what do I know I'm just a trucker.
I settled into my room,left and went to Ashland to pick up supper and bring back to the motel after the clerk said their food service wouldn't be open that night.Upon getting back to my room I noticed the desk where I planned to dine was a sticky mess,along with the night stand,so i ate on my bed.The desk chair was stained beyond what even a trucker would sit on and was the ottomen in the room also was a stained mess.They had a dehumidifier in the room which was full and needed to be emptied which I did,the tub/shower was dirty,drained very slowly to where you were standing in water and had brown slim coming up and out of drain.I thought I'd go to the work out room and excersise my frustrations away but to my shock you couldn't and wouldn't want to touch anything in that room as well.The workout room should have been condemned by the health department(which is my next letter),or at least closed to customers for safety reasons.
I vented my objections to the clerk upon checkout and told him he really should let the owner know of his shortfalls of motel management.....don't think it went any further.On a scale of 1-10 i'd give this place about a -2. There are a lot cleaner and less expensive motels in the city of Ashland and I don't think I will throw away monies which are to hard earned on this place again.We have construction work in the area and will have a ton of workers looking for a clean,affordable place to get a great nights rest this spring and summer and for my company this won't fit the bill.

Room Tip: This motel has the most convienient location but is in such bad condition due to lack of management...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Mike S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Good value for where it is - big rooms, upgrades readily offered for a nominal fee and Starbucks coffee available at the restaurant.

For Ashland, while one could argue the pickings are slim, I appreciated the value and yet some semblance of an upgrade from other motels/lodges. In Ashland and in Washburn, the Super 8s and other motels charge almost the same tariff as this lodge, yet this is far more of a better deal than the others - for its space, conveying a sense of upgrade with its rooms facing the lake, friendly Northwoods staff (and their eagerness to assist their guests).

During my stay, in the upgraded room, our toilet did not flush in the morning, the front desk offered us a key to the empty room next door and were very apologetic about the whole episode. Unfortunately their The room was good, spacious clean and overlooking the lake, and though not all the rooms are not connected to the reception area, it was not too big of a walk to get to the in-house restaurant. Overall the lodge is conveniently located on Hwy 2 and is close to other restaurants in Ashland. Definitely will stay here next time.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade to a suite - for a few extra dollars it is worth it - to be in a room facing the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank PKB1
Verona, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed here for a wedding in early October. The location is great with beautiful views right on the lake. The wedding reception was at the restaurant right across the parking lot, so it was very convenient, we could walk there and back. We had asked to get an early check in on Saturday, and were even willing to pay extra for it, so we would have time to change before the wedding. However, they refused to help in any way and were not particularily friendly about it. Since we were coming from 6 hours away we decided just to book it for an extra night the Friday before. The rooms were fine, a pretty standard Best Western. They had a nice indoor pool area, if you have children or are interested in that. If you aren't interested in the pool, I would suggest requesting a room on the outside of the building, as all the rooms that opened to the pool area were incredibly hot and humid.

Room Tip: If you aren't interested in the pool request a room that is on the outside of the building. The...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The room was spacious and comfortable. The amenities were very nice and the view was stunning. This place has a lot of potential to be an excellent hotel. My husband and I enjoyed the hospitality of the 2 young ladies that were working the evening we checked in, but not real impressed with the rather cranky young lady that worked the next morning. Grounds could use a little clean up after a wedding reception that was held the Saturday night before we checked in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WannaGo2Paris
Ashland, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The motel is in a nice location with beautiful views and a very nice pool facility. However, the staff and management is terrible! They promised a discount room rate and did not honor it. They were simply rude when it came to customer interaction as though the customer was a pain to them. We had continual problems with the card keys. We continually couldn't get in the room and had to have the keys reprogrammed a couple time per day. I've never had this much trouble with card keys at any other motel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank harppy30341
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
AmericInn Ashland
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#1 of 16 in Bayfield
Lucy's Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Quality Inn Ashland? Share your experiences!