“Hotel with a nice atmosphere in a great location”

Liberty Palace Hotel
Ranked #75 of 118 Hotels in Belo Horizonte
California
“Hotel with a nice atmosphere in a great location”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were reminded of the good old days when we walked into the lobby of this hotel. A footman took care of our luggage and the black suited staff at the front desk were friendly and efficient with the check-in.
The room was small and furnished in typical Brazilian style with two single beds (not what we reserved), but clean and reasonably comfortable.
Overall we were happy with the friendly and helpful staff and our choice.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank travelprofi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ronneby, Sweden
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This hotel has a very luxurious lobby which greets you well. The rooms are not bad either and are above average (even if we discovered a large ongoing(!) wall repair behind the bathroom door). Free welcome drink upon arrival was a new experience for me. Most likely you will get a view into another building even if the hotel has 10 floors. The breakfast was average - not very rich but good enough. I would hesitate to use the restaurant for dinner since the settings are quite boring and gives associations to a school dinning hall. No views. It is also the first time I see a door knob sign like "do not disturb" intended for hanging on the door regarding needed maintenance (!) of the room. Nevertheless - this hotel is a good chioce!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dgjohansson
Rhode Island
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The lobby is quite nice the breakfast was good, and the beds were comfortable enough, but I had a major problem with the cleanliness in my room. It all looked fine, but when I was close to the floor to pick something up I noticed that the carpet was FILTHY, like maybe hadn't been vacuumed in a month. There were actual toenail clippings and weird hair clumps (could there have been a cat in there? unlikely...) and obviously that was disconcerting. When I told someone at the front desk about it, he said OK, asked for the room number and said they would send someone to vacuum while I was out. However, he did not once apologize or seem surprised by my complaint. I was staying there on someone else's dime for business, so I didn't leave the hotel, but I would not go back. Also it was really expensive! I think my room was around 220 american dollars which is completely inconsistent with the value (at least from what I'm used to in the states). Additionally, you have to call the front desk to get an internet password, but they neglected to tell me that I would be paying for the service, so that was a nice surprise when I checked out.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cecigold
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed July 15, 2010

For the last year-and-a-half, I have stayed at the Liberty Palace Hotel almost every month, while traveling on business with clients. From the reservations department clerks to the front desk, porters, management and other staff, I can honestly say that they make their guests feel welcomed and well catered to. I have come to know them on a first-name basis: Charles, Amarildo, Roberto, Lívia and so many others. They speak English well, and, more than just accommodate a guest's requests, they show the guest that they -want- to help. For instance, they can even assist you when your credit card unexpectedly gets blocked by your bank, due to your bank's fraud-prevention program. They can place the call to your bank, from the front desk—quickly. That is a HUGE help, when you are traveling in Brazil with a credit card that was issued at your country of origin. In sum: wonderful staff, excellent amenities, comfortable, safe, great location in Belo Horizonte and not too expensive, by local pricing. All this while still preserving some old-world charm. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I chose Liberty Palace based on location and the good and trusted reviews.

I was perfectly content at the Liberty Palace. A pleasant and helpful front desk. A fantastic breakfast (wish i hadn't gotten up with only enough time for a quick bite and glass of juice, i could have stayed enjoying the spread much longer!) and good location just around the corner of a busy street (all streets in Belo are busy ones.) made access easy for drivers.

Staff were wonderful, food very good, as well as the internet connection. All in all, a very pleasant stay. No complaints. Not my favorite hotel - but i think that's just because i don't care for hardwood floors... but certainly no where near the bottom of my list. A sound choice in Belo Horizonte.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
london
Reviewed June 10, 2010

The advantage of this hotel is the location right in the middle of the city. However, it well and truly needs an upgrade. The rooms are dark, the breakfast very modest, and the atmosphere rather dismal. It has obviously seen better days.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Colares, Portugal
Reviewed May 15, 2010

We stayied at the Liberty Palace for two nights at the beguinning of our trip in Minas Gerais. We haven´t any reason against the Liberty Palace, with free internet, good breakfast. We didn´t eat at the hotel but outside at Dona Lucinha where they have very good food typical from Minas. So the location is also good. We didn't walk very much at BA once is a modern twon built to be the capital of Minas Gerais at 1890 and at 1940 Oscar Niemayer beguns working there before Brasilia. The jewls of the portuguese crwon were the other towns. For us the Liberty Hotel is very good to stay when you arrive directly to th Belo Horizonte airport.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple