“Great deal for BH - plus location”

Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Belo Horizonte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sao Paulo, SP
“Great deal for BH - plus location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

I was there during the weekend for a trip to Inhotim Museum (not to be missed!). Check-in was terribly slow and after all rooms had wrong bed configuration - which was immediately corrected. Hard to beat the location - side by side to Savassi neighborhood where all the action happens - shops, bars, clubs & restaurants. Hotel still looks new, rooms are big enough and very clean. Great TV, A/C and my room had a great view of the city and it's mountains. Bathroom is good too - great shower. Ordered room service once and food was ok. I find breakfast for R$28 quite expensive for their variety offer, but it's practical and has some options. Do not consider their gym though - it's more like a workout station and 3 treadmills. Indoor pool is tiny, shallow, but it's always nice to have it. Overall it's definitely worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cadi C
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all comments about your experience during the stay at Mercure BH Lourdes.

Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Windermere, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

i've stay at this hotel each year for business, due to its proximity to where i work while in bh. i usually stay at mercure hotels in belo horizonte, são paulo and rio de janeiro, and this is by far, the nicest of the three properties, albeit the second most expensive.

the hotel has a modern, cookie-cutter feel, like a more upscale ikea look. it seems to get a lot of business travelers and groups, so in the mornings it can be quite crowded in the lobby. accor brand hotels charge extra for breakfast, so i've only ate it once, but it was a nice buffet with a ton of choices. i find the breakfast charge to be high and i'm not a big breakfast person, so i tend to grab something on the run outside of the hotel. the room service is pretty boring and not incredibly flavorful, so if you have to use it i would suggest you stick to something easy to prepare, like the gnocchi.

on my last visit i did not have to pay for wifi in the room, which was nice because i have before. the bandwidth was sufficient; most importantly it supported skype calls. the rooms have a table for work or eating complete with the requisite pens and paper.

the bathrooms are clean and modern, stocked with little bottles of amenities. the quality of the shampoo and conditioner isn't that bad, but if you have long hair you may need to ration, as the bottles are really tiny. also there is a spa in the basement. the prices are ok for us standards, but you could definitely find cheaper elsewhere.

the neighborhood around the hotel is safe and pleasant, although i do not find belo horizonte to be a particularly tourist and pedestrian friendly city due to its size and the hills.

the mercure lourdes is a comfortable, fine hotel for business but nothing out of the ordinary.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Madrid
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

Three nights at the hotel:

Inside the room was quite Ok, there was a microwave, with no plates, nor cutlery ..not sure why it was there. maybe to heat up the M&M chocolate ???????

Service terrible
corridors , looked from the 70´s
40 mins for reception to answer the telephone
sent trousers to clean, they didn't return for 2 days
I was on business and went to my room at 1pm, no bed made, no cleaning, no towels ---ah but the maid did enter to leave me fresh M&M chocolates
GYm.... should be GY ... half a word for half a gym
Pool ... more like puddle

my third time in Belo on business and I have never had a good hotel experience...

HELP ??

I stayed two nights here, in a junior suite. The hotel is clean and apparently very new, but as someone who stays in many hotels each year I was astounded how poorly designed and furnished the suite was. There was a microwave and sink, but not a single plate or piece of cutlery. The bathroom had no hooks on which to hang your clothes. It took literally 10-15 minutes for the hot water to reach the shower nozzle. The location of the safe made it virtually inaccessible because a bedside table prevented the wardrobe door from opening fully. We were given access codes for the wifi but couldn't make it work - and we tried 3 different devices! The best thing in our stay was the breakfast, which was excellent. This was one of the most expensive places we stayed in Brazil (even more than the 5-star Tropical de Bahia in Salvador) and we were very very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Belo Horizonte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

I arrived late at this hotel, I live in the same city, I wanted to start my A-Club life, therefore I came also to rest a bit and try something different. The price in the front desk is much higher than offered by phone. I had called in the afternoon, but I could not come earlier. Therefore, make sure you will reserve it previously. I requested a room in the top, they gave me an excellent view, make sure you request a view to the "Serra" side. Rooms are clean, two single beds in it, bathroom clean, but, then, I felt something hurting my feet, in the carpet closer to the window: NAILS. Nails from the previous guest probably. Perhaps, I had this unfortunate moment. Resuming, in a general view - a bit expensive for what I used, its clean, you can see that (I had a bad luck with the nails). There is a fitness center and pool, if you come to business for some days, you may use it, not may case. The hotel stays in a nice area of the city, closer to Savassi, a region of bars and restaurants. There is a very nice japanese restaurant in front, 20 mts from the main entrance. By cab you are very closer to many "beer houses" of the city. Something of 5 or 10 minutes by cab.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Curitiba, PR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2010

We stayed two nights here, in a junior suite. The hotel is clean and apparently very new, but as someone who stays in many hotels each year I was astounded how poorly designed and furnished the suite was. There was a microwave and sink, but not a single plate or piece of cutlery. The bathroom had no hooks on which to hang your clothes. It took literally 10-15 minutes for the hot water to reach the shower nozzle. The location of the safe made it virtually inaccessible because a bedside table prevented the wardrobe door from opening fully. We were given access codes for the wifi but couldn't make it work - and we tried 3 different devices! The best thing in our stay was the breakfast, which was excellent. This was one of the most expensive places we stayed in Brazil (even more than the 5-star Tropical de Bahia in Salvador) and we were very very disappointed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this review, April 10, 2013

Lima
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2009

I stayed at the Mercure in BH for one night in July. I was flying in to visit my boy friend so we decided to book a night there. We arrived around midnight, and everything was ok. The room was very good, they had upgraded us to a suite. The problems started when we called the front desk to request two wine glasses and a bottle opener. Language wasnt an issue at the time since my boyfriend is brazilian. Half an hour passed by so we had to call again. Another half an hour passed by without getting an explanation. First I tried to call directly room service but didnt get any answer, then I called the front desk and they connected me to room service without waiting to see if someone was there. So I went down to the lobby to find out in person what was going on. I asked the front desk to call from there in front of me to see what was going on and he insisted that they were going to send someone up but I was tired and upset so I decided to wait there. Finally the guy from room service came up to say that another guest had the only bottle opener they had and they didnt answer the phone. I couldnt believe this excuse so I just went up the elevator again. They never apologyzed and ended up bringing evertyhing one hour later when we were already asleep. Great way to start a trip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Rio de Janeiro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

I`ve gone to Belo Horizonte during the weekend of Nossa Senhora de Aparecida's holiday (October, 9th up to 12th) because it was the only southeast region's capital I haven't gone yet. After a nightmare flight (or it was a fight) from Rio, it was a very beautiful oasis in my trip.

It's very well located - at "Avenida do Contorno", a circular large avenue that limit the central region of the city - near very good restaurants, very accessible by taxi or buses, and a few minutes of every interesting point of Belo Horizonte.

The staff is very kind, the hotel is very clean, the room is not very spacious but it's the right size for a couple. The hotel is more fit to a business hotel - it has a microwave oven and a sink besides the fridge - if you want to lower your food wages it's very useful. The bathroom is not a luxurious one, but it's very well designed and maintained. There are rooms with a private spa (a jacuzzi and a sun deck), although they're more expensive. The fitness room is big, the sauna very clean, the indoor pool is not that large, but it's ok - we went to sightseeing, not to expend time in a resort.

It's a very good cost-benefit. Nice suggestion for a weekend of leisure...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple