“My second visit...getting a bit dated”

Ranked #14 of 119 Hotels in Belo Horizonte
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed at this Mercure hotel back in 2007, and again for three weeks in June of 2013 while I was in town working on the Confederations Cup. I cannot comment on value as the hotel was provided by my employer, but I will offer a list of pros and cons based on my three weeks there.

PROS:
- Decent sized rooms, with cable tv and comfortable beds.
- Very friendly and helpful staff.
- Free wifi, although it was very slow. There was also free wired internet that was much faster, but you have to have your own cable.
- Good location. Some good food options not too far away and it is an easy walk to the trendy Savassi district.
- Good breakfast.

CONS:
- Dated. Almost nothing has changed since my stay in 2007.
- Reception can get very busy and it is easy to find yourself in a long queue waiting to speak to someone. Not great when your room key has stopped working.
- There are three lifts, but they take forever to get to you. I have never seen lifts as slow as these. It is not unusual to stand and watch a lift pass your floor without stopping to let you in. You also need to use your room key to select your floor. This is a great security option as each person can only go to their own floor, but if you are in a full lift and you are all struggling to get your key in and select your floor you may find you have passed it before you get the key in.
- I had a number of issues with the hot water. Eventually I was moved to a new room after the engineers tried to fix the water on numerous occasions. I couldn't believe on my last day prior to check out there was no cold water, and I didn't have time to do anything about it.
- Room service food is awful. Go out and get something. The food is not good and it is expensive.
- Safes are old. I had a number of problems getting mine opened. Eventually in my second room they replaced the entire safe.
- Laundry prices are insane. We were offered a discount due to our large booking but even with the discount the price to have items washed was not much less than the cost to buy them in the first place. This hotel may not be more expensive than others but this was a rip off, and something I struggled with on a three week stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a low floor so you can use the stairs to get to breakfast. Otherwise you may sp...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jasoninlondon
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear guest,

We appreciate your comments about your stay with us.

We are thankful of your comeback to us and we would like to receive you again in the future in your visit to Belo Horizonte.

We are gather with our staff to discuss about the improvement comments mentioned by you. I can guarantee that we will work and improve our selves to give you a better and more positive impression of us in your next stay.
Once again, we appreciate your feedback which offers us an opportunity to review all of our intern processes and work toward a constant improvement.

We are always at your entire disposal.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel one night for business, as it was the only hotel with partnership with my company's travel agent.

The pluses: it is well located (e.g., very good restaurants nearby for dinner), breakfast was surprisingly complete and good, check-in was smooth, rooms were spacious.

Unfortunately, there is a long list of "minuses" I must mention:
- rooms: old, poorly maintained, not spotless cleaned,... overall, very uncomfortable... I was happy I only had to stay one night!
- check-out: what a nightmare! There was a long line in the reception... even my process, which was supposed to be easy (I only had to pay for breakfast), took a long time
- elevators: clearly under-sized for the hotel needs. Getting space for you and your carry on in the morning is an exercise of patience and endurance
- ambiance: the whole feeling of the hotel is shabby and mediocre... we couldn't even think about having dinner there!

Overall, I expected to get a better service in exchange for the price paid. A big disappointment.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Guest,

It is our pleasure to receive your comments regarding to your stay with us. This feedback is very important to us, because it gives us the opportunity of improving all of our services.

Regarding to the apartments, we would like to clarify that we are in an approval process in order to renew and update all the apartments of the hotel. We expect to initiate the execution of the project still on 2013.
About the check-out, we are in communication with the front desk manager of the hotel to analyze and take all the necessary measures that the situation deserves. As an alternative, we can anticipate the check-out process for the less requested periods, our staff will be always at disposal and ready to care and help during these process in your next stay with us.
As to the elevators and the restaurant, we will definitely analyze with the deserved attention all the manifest comments.

Once again, we appreciate your comments and we are more than happy and at your entire disposal to have you again shortly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a good business hotel - typical Mercure! Good location, great Internet (mostly), small but well equipped rooms. Nothing to complain about but two questions. 1) why does it take to 9pm to get your laundry back? 2) why is there no iron in the room?

• Stayed: July 2013
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

It is our pleasure to receive your comments regarding to your stay with us.

Mercure BH Lourdes it’s a hotel which stands out regarding to covered surface and facilities to attend all the events, with all the necessary infrastructure and specialized staff to run from sort to large scale events. We do appreciate that our facilities have satisfied your expectations!

Regarding to the expressed questions, we want to clarify that our laundry service is provided by a third party company. The clothes are picked up during the morning and returned in the beginning of the evening, which is why they are delivered at our night shift. About the iron, this is not a standard item of our hotel, we do transfer that service to the housekeeping department.
I hope I have clarified your doubts and standing here always at your entire disposal.

We are looking forward to seeing you again shortly!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I made a reservation for me , my husband and my 10 years old girl and we had to stay on the privilege NOISY room, supposedly the best.We Arrived tired from Inhotim at 8h30 pm, there were only 2 towels for the 3 of us and they had forgot to arrange the extra bed for my girl. They told me that they had only 1 house keeping available and I would have to be patient!!!!
We went out for dinner and asked again to solve the bed issue but when we came back at midnight, surprise, no extra bed in the room. I went down furious and I after arguing a lot I got the bed and the towel.
Total lack of respect and consideration for the guest in a 4 ****hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

It is our pleasure to receive your comments regarding to your stay with us.

We are gather with our staffs of housekeeping and frontdesk to understand the facts and proceed with the necessary measures so this situation can be avoided in the future. We do apologize for what happened, such because this is not our customer service standard.

We do hope to have the opportunity to receive you again some point in the future.

Please count on us so we can demonstrate you another impression related to our services. We are entirely at your disposal.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went to this Hotel cause I read it had a good location in BH and I must say I was not disappointed.
The rooms are nice (Mercure standard) and quiet.
The gym is well equipped and the amenities in general are quiet good, including the free wi-fi (works better in some areas then others).
The breakfast is excellent and the staff very helpful.
I recommend this Hotel and I believe I'm going back next time I go to BH.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back are more quiet
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all comments about your experience during the stay at Mercure BH Lourdes.

Be shure that we will share them with all staff.

We are available for any need and expect to have you back with us!

Best regards.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Stayed two nights while in Belo Horizonte, very nice hotel. Hotel was very pricey, by US standards, perhaps not Brazilian standards. Service was 5 stars everywhere, lobby bar, restaraunt, breakfast area, check in/out..even the security was helpful. Rooms were snug but perfect. Great bed, slept fantastic. Bathrooms equally snug but totally functional and all in good shape. Excellent place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Raquel R, Assistente de Gerência at Hotel Mercure Belo Horizonte Lourdes, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

It is our pleasure to receive your comments regarding to your stay with us.

We are happy to have had satisfied your expectations, since we only work with the one objective of offering a quality service to our clients.

We are hoping to receive you anytime you come back to Belo Horizonte.

We are at your entire disposal.