“Amazing Cave!”
Review of Abismo Anhumas

Abismo Anhumas
Ranked #4 of 51 things to do in Bonito
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We booked a rappel and scuba dive in the cave 6 months before, through and external agency, who in turn used a local agency to book with the operator that takes you into the cave. The local agency, it turns out, never actually made a booking with Anhumas, so when we arrived at the agency the day before we were supposed to go to the cave (for them to direct us to the training centre for the rappel), the agency lied to us about the operator having to close the cave site down because they were in trouble for taking too many tourists down, and told us we should look for some other activity to do. My husband went down to the Anhumas training centre to tell some other travellers we'd met that they would be closed, but instead found the training centre fully open and people training for the next day.

The truth was that Anhumas had in fact been taking too many people for dives in the cave and were in trouble with the authorities for it, but instead they began only taking people snorkelling. The agency knew about this, but failed to notify us or the other agent we were dealing with, and also failed to make the booking on our behalf, then tried to lie to us to cover it up and get us to book some other tour with them. Luckily two people had cancelled for the following day, so we managed to got in on a trip to the cave.

The abseil down was really cool. The cave is amazing and you can see the huge formations under the water even just standing on the pontoon. We went for a little boat ride around the cave, and learned about some of the formations. Then we went snorkelling, and the water was really cold. The subaquatic formations are amazing, I can't imagine what it would have been like to do a scuba dive down amongst them. Beautiful and eerie.

The rappel back up was tough. Pulling yourself up a rope for 72 metres. I was knackered by the time we got to the top. The operators were all really nice, but only spoke a few words of English, so much was lost in translation, and we felt a little bit rushed. I would have liked some extra time to take some more photos.

Overall, it was an awesome experience. I'm glad we did get to go, but sad we didn't get to do a dive.

3  Thank embly

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Apesar de bem caro o passeio, vale muito a pena. No dia anterior é necessário um treinamento, para se aprender a técnica e saber se você tem condições de ir ao abismo. Lá dentro a experiência é única, com direito a flutuação no lago, passeio de bote e o rapel, que no meu caso, demorou 3 minutos para descer e meia hora para subir. Foi muito bom!!

Although a very expensive tour, it is well worth. The day before, training is required, in order to learn the technique and to verify whether you are capable to go to the abyss. Inside, the experience is unique, with the right to float on the lake, ride a boat and rappelling, which in my case, took three minutes to descend and half an hour to ascend. It was great!

2  Thank Makstein
Reviewed January 19, 2013

For those who like adventure tourism it is the best attraction in Bonito.
It begins with a spectacular 70m abseil height that takes you to another world inside the earth almost as fantastic as those seeing in movies.
Down the ropes we land on a platform floating on the groundwater, from where we dive to observe the rock formations in the water rare in other diving spots in the world.
The return to the cave entrance takes climbing a rope and it is a bit difficult and the hardest part of the tour.
The tour requires a minimum physical condition, but worth all the effort.
You can not visit Bonito without knowing the Anhumas!!!

3  Thank Ligia_AZ
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It really is like traveling to another country and era. Dive or snorkel if you can... it feels like being in Atlantis...

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I'd seen the pictures of this attraction on posters around Bonito but didn't know anything about it. Thankfully my travelling friend wanted to go here, thankfully there was a cancellation on the day we wanted to go (they only allow 18 people per day), and thankfully they had space for a couple of scuba divers (only 4 certified divers per day). The cost of the excursion was high at R$650, but the location and the experience cannot be beat. The rappel 72m down was exhilarating, the climb back up less so. I don't think this experience would appeal to someone that isn't adventurous and in fairly decent shape - but I will admit that I overestimated my ability to climb back out only 2.5 weeks after cancer surgery. The guides got me out though. The dive was similarly awesome. The scenery was incredible - really, I can't describe it. Pictures don't do it justice. If you have the chance, visit Absimo Anhumas. You will not regret it. And I expect you'll be gushing about the experience as I just did!

1  Thank brynnes