“Good churrasco but very pricey”
Review of Fogo de Chao

Fogo de Chao
Ranked #39 of 11,029 Restaurants in Brasilia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've heard of Fogo de Chão many times but never ate there until recently. I have had Brazilian churrasco in Brazil and in the U.S. many times. Fogo de Chão is among the best I've had, but it was also by far the priciest.

In case you don't know how to churrasco...it's an all-you-can-eat restaurant featuring various grilled meats as the central feature, which are served at your table one slice at a time. Most of the meat was excellent, especially the linguiça sausage and the lamb, but also the various cuts of beef and the pork ribs. Call me a heretic, but I did have one slice of beef that wasn't very well seasoned and wasn't special. But everything else was very good.

In case you don't eat an all-meat diet, you can request additional food to be served at your table, including rice, bananas, pão de queijo (Brazilian cheese bread), and others. The farofa was buttery and delicious. (If you don't know what farofa is...I can't describe it in a couple of words, but try it and I think you'll thank me.) Additionally, there is a modest buffet of many salads, fruits, cheese, cured meats, and other items.

I splurged and had dessert. I wish I could remember the name, but it consisted of a hot multi-fruit compote with ice cream on top. It was very tasty.

The restaurant building and decor are very attractive. The ambience is very nice. The service is prompt and courteous.

Why four out of five then, you ask? My beef with this place (rimshot) is the price. I am not a foodie, so this is among the most expensive restaurants I have visited. I don't mean to be a cheapskate, but if I pay this much for a meal, I expect it to be a memorable, once-in-a-lifetime experience. Fogo de Chão was very good indeed, but for a lot less money, I have had churrasco that was just as good, both in Brazil and in the U.S. In that respect, Fogo de Chão was a slight disappointment. Don't get me wrong--it was very, very good. But I didn't think it was very good value.

1  Thank shepshep

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Amazing Brazilian BBQ experience with perfectly cooked selections of beef, pork and chicken. Great Brazilian wines to accompany the beef and outstanding

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Everything is great. Food is impecable and the courteous maitre and waiters make you feel at home. I am an habituee of Fogo de Chao, especially in Sao Paulo. It was my 1st time in Brasilia and - as expected - they did not disappointed us.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Price should not deter as the quantity of food is quite adequate. Very good choice (and quality!) of starters. Do not exceed with starters, as this "Churrascaria" has some of the best meat I have ever had. All cuts are deserving to be tried and evaluated, ranging from good to absolute excellence.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Wonderful "Brazilian style" steak house, close to the hotels and TV Tower. Nice place and food as well.