“No comunication!!”

Allia Gran Hotel Brasilia Suites
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Brasilia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I traveled all over the world, and I know that at least people working in a hotel should speak some english. I speak spanish, english and french, so I was able to comunicate somehow with the staff at this hotel. They didn't even make the effort to understand my questions. They didn't have maps, they didn't know how to get any where. The staff was not helpful at all. The hotel is ok, but when you are a tourist you need to have some guiadance from the hotel before you get to know the city a bit. The checkin took for ever, probably one hour. Why? They couldn't tell us, of course. Anyways, not a good experience.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adrianagut
Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I fled a bleak stay in Taguatinga to this hotel and was pleasantly surprised.

The fundamental difference in any hotel are the people and every staff member I encountered here was very good. Strong English skills at the Front Desk, a polished manner, the willingness to help, prompt solutions to any issues, etc. I came in early and the Front Desk and Houskeeping quickly worked to check me in even though it was 11 am - without the usual condescending speech about "Check-in is at 2 pm, sir..." [blank stare]

The Allia has a superior location, close to the area where I needed to work and with some shopping centres close by when you just had to have Pringles. The room was large, plenty of drawers, big closet, etc. And I love how they don't fib like all the other hotels about the gym; straight-up it is called a Mini-Gym.

When I came back from work, there was a lobby reception taking place, a very nice touch! It made the hotel seem much less transitory, something that gets to you when you travel for business.

Some points to improve. The curious kitchenette - I would recommend Room Service put a little card on the kitchenette prompting guests to call for cups or cutlery because without these tools the sink and microwave are vestigial. The free internet option is only for checking email with a healthy dose of patience so just drop the $13 for the fast version. The twin beds seemed somewhat narrow, like some odd Ikea size, but not narrow enough that you feel you are sleeping on a canoe (as I have experienced in other places).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Hotels in Brazil are getting very expensive. This is one exception. It offers a good value for the money.

Don't expect luxury, but the room is nice, has an iron (not common in Brazil) and a decent bathroom. The complementary breakfast is pretty good and I was very pleased with experience.

The room service was not very good. I had two nights and was not looking forward to having it again.

The fitness center is okay, but does not offer the basics such as a towel, cups for water and cleaning supplies.

The Internet is the worse part of it all. It is extremely slow if you choose the free option and was certainly retry frustrating.

Overall it is a good value for the money and an acceptable option if you are not looking for luxury. The hotel staff is nice and make up for some of the short comings.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed there for about 45 days more or less. It was definitely the best hotel for its price, and I did shop around looking for balance between hotels amenities, price, and location. The hotel personnel were so nice --front desk, cafeteria, and one of its manager by the name of Mayara. Each room is a equipped with an ironing board and an iron --all the other hotels that I checked did not have them, or if they did you have to pay to use it. The rooms are very spacious and clean --especially its bathrooms. It is located between three big malls. If I travel back to Brasilia, I will DEFINITELY stay there again.

Room Tip: I always ask if rooms are equipped with ironing boards and irons, as well as having the choice to in...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Fernando S
Allia Gran Hote... B, Gerente at Allia Gran Hotel Brasilia Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Fernando S.

We are happy to hear it from you. We are always improving our services to better serve our customers.
Be always welcome to our hotel!

Best regards,
Allia Hotels Team

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Allia Gran is OK -which is pretty much what you can say for comparable alternatives such as Comfort Suites a few yards down street or Grand Bittar. The reception area is pleasantly furnished, and the staff are efficient and speak English. My room on 14th floor was Brasilia standard issue brown/beige decor- not as big as Comfort Suites. It had a flat screen TV but like Bittar no international channels. A bonus however is that it has an iron& board ( neither Comfort Suites or Bittar provide this). There is fridge with some minibar drinks but oddly the room has no drinking glasses. The bathroom is drab but functional. My room had a large window with a good view down to the lake but the interior was gloomy caused by several lights not working. The hotel breakfast area was busy but offers the most limited choice of the 3 hotels I have used. I used room service one evening and it was efficient. On the basis of my experiences of 3 trips to Brasilia in the past 6 months I would say there is not much to choose between these fairly average hotels.

Room Tip: Go high for a view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Due to a business trip to Brasilia, this hotel was booked for me for a quick stay. As mentioned by other reviews, no taxi driver knows the place by its new name, only by its old one Sonesta and "near Brasilia Shopping". Brasilia Shopping also should be the choice for eating, food in the hotel is costly. Although my reservation vouhcer was correct, when I arrived there was a problem in the hotel computer, my name was wrong as well as the period of my stay, whihc was booked ofr the last week of May instead of yesterday. As I noticed, each of the costumers that arrived afte me where having some knd of similar trouble: either the period was wrong, or the arrival date, so that was kind of curious. The hotel is trying to sell itself as a novelty due to the name change, but the infrastructure tells otherwise. Since the lobby, there are dirty walls and not so new furniture. At first this could be mention as details that supposingly are going to be dealt with. However, the relative abandonment continues into the apartments, although spaciuous, they looked and smelled stale. The carpet is the worse, as well tha cloth covering the bed, really dirt and old. Fortunately, sheets on the bed were clean, but if you put something dirty on top, what´s the use? Shower does not work properly, but on the bright side, ammenities were nice and there is hair dryer in the bedroom, not standard issue in many hotels in Brasilia. Near midnight I was surprised by someone knocking on the door, which has no view for the corridor. Since I had the no disturb sign on and ordered nothing from room service and was travelling solo, I simply did no open the door and shouted through it asking what was the matter. As for as I could hear, some sort of delivery, I told the guy it was not for me and he apparently left. However, 5min later the person came knocking on the door again, insisting that whatever it was, it meant to be delivered at my apartment, and once more I refused to open, the person left fortunately, but I was also calling the desk for security. So, I do not if it was room service or anything else, but the sensation was not good, mostly because of the insistence. And, of course, if it was room service, hotel one, the easier solution to solve the doubt was to call the apartment on the phone and not bang twince in the door, in particular after the first time, and most of all, late at night. Would I stay here again? Only if someone books for me, otherwise, I prefer to pay a little bit more and stay at a more pleasant and clean place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CristinaSPaulo
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Allia Hotel is the same as Sonesta Hotel. There has been a name change on the outside of the building, but no changes have yet been made on Internet. Therefore it is difficult to find the hotel, when you previously made the booking through Internet at the Sonesta Hotel, which no longer exists. What is worse, no one knows this as you are trying to find the way to get there, particularly when you rent a car at the airport erring around town. I pointed this out upon arrival.
There is a free WIFI service, however it lasts only 48 hours, which has then to be re-programmed, if you stay longer than 2 days. The guestrooms are of a good size, beds are comfortable, the bathroom is one of the best I have seen so far. Great shower. The breakfast buffet on the ground floor is of very good quality. Very nice set-up of quality products and good coffee. Unfortunately they don’t have a bar. If you like a Whisky you will not find it in the Minibar either.
Unless you are a technician yourself you cannot get your TV set going as too complicated.
There were some ugly spots in the carpet, which were only removed when I complained on the second day of my stay. Even though rooms are fairly clean, there seems to be a problem with housekeeping control. I know what I am talking about, since I was GM myself for 19 years in deluxe hotels.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a non-smoking room, if you are a non smoker.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo