“Stubborn service in alright location”

St Paul Plaza Hotel
Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Brasilia
“Stubborn service in alright location”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The rooms have WiFi hence the reason we stayed but otherwise was below par. The staff is usually not able to help with restaurant advice explaining that there wasn't a single pizzeria in all Brasilia that was any good then directed us to an American chain. The second night I had some left overs so requested a fork, but the hotel informed me that they would not provide one despite having them at the restaurant on site. I then tried the bar that was listed as open daily but no one was there and when calling to ask about it they explain they could not serve me at the rooftop bar but could bring room service. Next time I'll look elsewhere for my hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Msphillips1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had a very nice stay in the St Paul Brasilia. It was a good location, especially for a Rotary make-up at the hotel literally next door. The staff spoke more English than in any place that we stayed in our 18 days in Brazil. It was also obviously the hotel with which TAM contracted for its employees because they were coming and going and eating breakfast with us everyday. In fact the flight crew from our arriving flight were checking in at the same time that we were.

We took two rooms. Ours was to have 2 twin beds. It had three. That made it a little crowded, because the room was not that big. Our companions had a queen bed with lots of room around it. The beds were comfortable and the room very clean. The staff was very prompt to say the least. A drain needed to be unplugged. We thought that we would call in the morning, which we did. However, they were there so quickly that we weren't though with the morning routine and off to breakfast by the time they arrived. Can't be complaining about that. We should have timed our call a little better.

The breakfast was good. I do not get excited about breakfasts in hotels. There was a nice selection. The pastries were a little dry, and we were getting a little tired of the Brazilian pastries by the last days of our trip. First and only time I have been served watermelon juice. It was good.

Throughout our trip it seemed like our timing was always late for a nice sit-down meal, and we ended up in food courts all over Brazil. It was just after 5 PM, and we had time before our 7 PM appointment so we thought we would enjoy what appeared to be their very nice restaurant. However, it opened at 7:00. That seemed to be our fate all over the country, so back to the food court at the mall (which was within easy walking distance).

The area seemed safe and easily accessible to the TV tower and fair/market near there.

We would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. It was a good bargain and nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed July 18, 2012

St Pauls Plaza Hotel is located close to the TV Tower the Lojas Americana Mall and the architectural masterpieces of Oscar Nieamiah . The cathedral and the centrre for performing arts is visable from the hotel . The mall has an excellent food court on the fifth floor . You can get good bargins for craft items at the TV Tower . None of the business places deal with US dollars. You need to ensure that you change your money to Reis which is approx 2 Reis to 1 US . You will have great difficulty to change Travellers Cheques. The banks will change your US for you

Room Tip: All the rooms are identical . The rooms facing the east are better for the view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sinco1961
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a weekend with my girlfriend. Our room was big, silent and very comfortable, with a king size bed. An easy-to-use safe was also available in the room, although we haven't used it.

When we arrived, there was only one bath/hand towel set in the room, so we called the front desk and requested the missing towels, which took some time and a second call to arrive. Anyway, the staff was not impolite and was helpful for the basic services we needed (like taxi and room service dinner).

The complimentary breakfast was good and generous, served at the restaurant on the rooftop (where there was also a small swimming pool area, from which we had a good - although not splendid - view of the city).
When I went to the restaurant on the Sunday afternoon, to have a cup of espresso coffee, it was served for free. :)

From the hotel, a very short taxi ride will take you to the main tourist spots. In the first day, we even opted to walk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2012

The hotel is under refit aside that it is a good hotel with good value. Worth to enjoy the Continental breakfast specially, the cheese bread. The staff is friendly.

• Stayed March 2012
London
Reviewed December 17, 2011

I can't believe this hotel makes it into the top 20 of the business hotels of a capital city. Maybe that says a lot about the hotel infrastructure of Brasilia...

The building is an old block of the odd kind of Brasilia. Although geographically the location is very central, the surroundings and immediate entrance of the hotel are ugly: basically a huge parking lot with very bad mantained patches of grass. The reception is almost outside the building and essentially there is no lobby. (I have to say that this might change in the mid run due to a redevelopment that they announce with artist's impressions in the lifts).

The rooms are really bad, I got one in the seventh floor that reminded me more of a nuns' convent than anything else. Three single beds (of the smallest kind) with foam mattresses (horrible), badly stuffed pillows, old printed bed covers and almost no space. Toiletries? A soap bar. TV? Yes, flat screen. Minibar? No, just the fridge, vending machines are in the reception area. Laundry? Well there is a laundry service but when I wanted to send a shirt to press the only form that was left was an old one half completed, try to call to the laundry service to explain my request and they didn't speak English. I did it through the reception. I asked to get it by 8 pm and I only got it at 8 am next morning. Shower? Yes but when I took one the drain couldn't cope with the water and it leaked it to the rest of the bathroom. At the end I had a pool and had to call housekeeping.

Breakfast was included but the room was packed, noisy, not nice at all. We decided to head somewhere else for breakfast as we wanted a place to sit with some colleagues to do a prep chat. We went to the Melia, just a few blocks away and this was a different world. You should consider staying there.

I felt that the pictures and information of the hotel didn't really reflect how poor this place is. We also booked a room for a colleague coming from the US and I felt really embarrassed of having put her in this place. Mercure, Melia, and others are the way to go next time.

• Stayed December 2011