“Returned after a two year hiatus and pleasantly surprised.”

IL Angolo Resto-Bar
Ranked #48 of 387 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had a subpart dinner two years ago and gave up on the place--with regret, as it's a very nice place. A business dinner brought us back, and we were so pleased with our meal that we've returned three times within two months. I recommend the New York Strip--it might be the most delicious and tender steak in town. We've also had a dinner of shared small plates at the bar. The food was excellent. Finally, the staff has been superb.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

iL Angolo is a restaurant in Appleton Wisconsin just north of College Avenue and a few blocks east of Richmond on Appleton Street. They have a full bar that includes dining tables and a separate large dining room. This restaurant is attached to the Apollon restaurant

The restaurant features Mediterranean style cooking with themes from France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Egypt and Morocco. They also have an extensive wine offering.

With white linen table cloths, oil on canvas artwork, fresh cut flowers at each table and staff dressed in all black dress shirts and pants this is fine dining. Dinners start at $28 for a vegetarian dish and go to $70 for the 9 course chef’s selection. Dinners include soup or side salad and side item. With one drink each, dinner and tip it would be difficult to have your bill be under $100.

I had the pepper marinated steak fillet. I chose the tomato basil bisque soup and it was amongst the best I have ever had. The steak was tender, well prepared and presented. I would only recommend this dish if you understand how powerful the pepper marinade influences the steak. There are plenty of other steak, lamb and seafood options.

We found the staff to be attentive and friendly, explaining the menu items in a informative yet gracious way.

iL Angolo is a fine Mediterranean restaurant with fresh well prepared and presented dinners and excellent service. It’s a nice romantic treat.

1  Thank TravelVlogger
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We met another couple here for dinner and drinks on a Friday night. We had never been here before but always wanted to try it out. We started at the bar for some drinks and they were amazing. The margaritas and mojito's were spectacular. We also had chips with guacamole and fresh bread and tamponade which were great appetizers. We sat down for dinner and all order a steak of some type. They have a few different cuts and preparations. Each one of us loved our choices. They were cooked perfectly and delicious.The prices are a bit higher but you get what you pay for! The service was very good and we would definitely go there again.

1  Thank kgenske
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I moved from Appleton about 3 years ago, but always wanted to go to Il Angolo while I lived there, but never did. Well, this last weekend I got my chance when I was back in town for my birthday and what a great experience it was!! We were going to go to another restaurant, but there was an hour wait, so decided to see if we could get in at Il Angolo, and we were not disappointed.

While the ambiance is a bit fancier, we were certainly not dressed up, but did not feel uncomfortable at all. I had the Halibut with poblano cream sauce (it was a special), my one friend had the Tuna with soy/ginger glaze (a special) and the other had tenderloin oscar. We were ALL VERY IMPRESSED with the presentation and flavors of our dishes. While this place is not on the lower end price-wise, the service and food were fantastic and definitely worth the price! We all commented that we would all go back and are glad that we ended up where we did. Thanks for such a fabulous dinner!

1  Thank cant_w8_2_leave
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We've been to Il Angolo several times, and the last time was for the Valentine's Day special. We opted for the chef-selected 5-course meal paired with wine. The food and wine were good, but we didn't end up with anything spectacular or unique-- just the basics like beet salad, fried shrimp, and steak. We watched other tables, who must have known better and ordered a la carte, get things like escargot, lamb chops, and mussels. The biggest disappointment was the dessert that came with our meal: chocolate-covered strawberries. We had higher expectations with the price we paid. They did honor our request for an upgraded dessert though. We were also served Chardonnay twice, instead of a different wine with each course. We will go back, but we have learned not to leave the decisions up to the chef. We enjoy good food too much to be served things we could get at a chain.