“Pleasant surprise in Appleton”

Katsu YA Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 366 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charlotte, NC, USA
“Pleasant surprise in Appleton”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Katsu-Ya was a nice surprise that we found when looking for something within walking distance of our hotel. The restaurant offers sushi, teppanyaki and yakiniku (small grill at the table). The teppanyaki room is at the back of the restaurant and has the requisite flying knives and clanging spatulas. As we were in the mood for sushi, we were seated in a more isolated section of the restaurant. The decor is intimate with dim lighting supplied by the unique, jellyfish-inspired, light fixtures above each table. We had a nice selection of sushi and sashimi plates, including a very tasty beef sashimi. Very good meal, nice ambiance and reasonable prices. Nice choice and a short, easy walk from both the Copperleaf and Radisson hotels.

• Visited January 2014

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Not a great night at Katsu Ya”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying this is usually our favorite restaurant. On a recent Saturday night, they fell incredibly short of expectations. The bar area was very busy, and we waited patiently for service. After deciding on a bottle of wine, we were led back to our table (carrying our bottle, btw, should have been given a tray). Service in the yakiniku area was not good at all. We never got the Shrimp Tempura Roll we ordered, which was explained as, oh, the chefs must have been too busy. We finally (after a 45 minute wait) were served our meat. After asking twice, we got our rice 10 minutes later. Watching the person cleaning tales, she swept the rice that was on the table to the floor, and onto the seats around the table. My husband actually turned down the grill, as it was set way higher than normal. Management was not present, still not even sure if there was a manager on duty. Just a let down, hope it isn't the new norm for Katsu Ya.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Grandma1961
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Sushi Lover Lady and Grill Your own meat Man”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am a big sushi lover. This is one of my favorite places to go. It not only has some of the best sushi in town but one of the best atmospheres with timely service and a well trained wait staff. I've been coming here for years. I see the same sushi master and others who have worked her for years. I always get sushi but my man doesn't eat fish. We get the table with the grill in the center. He orders Yakiniku, where you grill your own meat, and vegetables right at your table! The meat is marinated before you grill it and comes with 3, traditional style, house dipping sauces. He loves it and gets it every time!

• Visited June 2013
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Friends, Fun and Food”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The bartenders, hostesses and wait staff are so friendly and relaxed. It made us relaxed and ready to have a great evening. We initially were seated at a hibachi table with 2 families with a screaming child. They were so accommodating in getting us another table. (Not sure why the 2 sets up parents thought it would be a great idea to take kids out to hibachi during the St. Patrick's Day celebrations). Our chef was great, and the food was good. I had a combo of shrimp and sea bass. The shrimp was really good but the sea bass was very salty, to the point of not being edible. Everyone at my table loved their steak or chicken, so I skip the sea bass next time. They certainly don't skimp on portions!

• Visited March 2013
Wisconsin
“Perfect dining experience!”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

There were only two of us when we went to this hibachi restaurant. The tables are definitely designed for a large group, but they are very accommodating to those of us with smaller parties. The food and wine were great, the cook was entertaining. I had the chicken, my friend the shrimp, and we were both happy. Overall, a wonderful dining experience. I will be back!

• Visited February 2013