“coffee and dessert event, storytelling”
Review of Atlas Coffee Mill

Atlas Coffee Mill
Ranked #6 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Appleton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Appleton, Wisconsin
“coffee and dessert event, storytelling”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

the Unpolished Gems last appearance at Atlas was NOT a raving success. Nothing was ready for us when we arrived. It was rather a scramble to find seats especially for the Gems. Sue. our formerly much more gracious hostess, kept moving people to her satisfaction but not to the listeners. Some were not able to see but her comment was it is a event to HEAR. the deserts served were to my satisfaction but I heard many complaints. NO coffee, lemonade or raspberry tea . Full glasses of the tea were left on the table. The skit was even more than hilarious (by Betty smedlund We do appreciate and thank Sue for our 5 ;years of elegantly served dinner theaters. We enjoyed a good run.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank bjgpoet

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Food is good, owner is objectionable”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been here numerous times. The food is quite good but the service is slow. The owner has a problem with allowing patrons to choose their own seating even with the restaurant not busy. All tables are marked reserved when clearly they are not. I have not been allowed to sit where I wanted even though there was no reason to restrict me.

• Visited April 2013
7 Thank Mark C
Appleton, Wisconsin, United States
“The Cranky, Old-Lady Owner is the ONLY Reason I Wont Return”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

A beautiful view and a quiet place that is unfortunately run by a miserable bag of bones. Apparently the owner's wife, this crotchety grandma will be the demise of the Atlas Coffee Mill.

On my one and only visit, I was scolded for not "checking in" at the counter when arriving late to meet my sister (who had checked in). We are both post-grads on the hunt for jobs, so we thought we would find a new spot, get a coffee and send out some resumes. When I asked for the wifi password, the lady raised her eyebrow in deep suspicion and said she had to follow me back to my computer before giving it to me...despite the fact that I bought a 2-day old Manderfield's cookie from her for 3 bucks!

While sitting there, my sister and I were warned not to use our phones (even though we werent using them). AND after I leaned forward to plug in my computer, she b-lined it to me to tell me to sit up straight on the chair, so as not to put pressure on the legs. THE STEEL BRASS CHAIR... I was just about to make a fake crack about how self-conscious and upset I am about gaining weight to try and make her feel bad, but I held my tongue. I'm sure her power trip would plow on regardless.

You have to be 21+ to use the public computer there and you aren't allowed to sit at a table if you don't have the exact number of people sitting at that table. WEIRD! This lady definitely covers all of her furniture plastic. Too bad she has to ruin such a beautiful locale. I am also sorry for that poor husband of hers.

DONT GO.

• Visited March 2013
17 Thank Samantha W
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favorite cafe”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is my favorite Fox Valley restaurant. I am surprised by the negative reviews posted on this site! I am sorry to hear that some people were disappointed; I have been to the Atlas many times, and always found it delightful. I love the fact that it is quieter than most restaurants, facilitating easy conversation. Soft music plays in the background, which adds a soothing touch to the atmosphere.
I meet in the cafe once a month with a group of six writers; once we were seated near the speakers and found the music slightly distracting. The proprietor cheerfully adjusted it. The decor is one of my favorite aspects with wonderful colors, and amazing tables and chairs! I love the large, colorful cloth napkins, the weight of the flatware, and the square plates!
In addition to meeting with a group, I have been here many times with special guests. I have enjoyed the patio overlooking the river on some occasions, other times have eaten indoors. I have been here with large groups of family, and have been accompanied by one friend. We have always enjoyed the experience.
The food is delicious, always served with a garnish, usually fruit. The staff is courteous, the proprietors warm and friendly. In addition to regular operating hours, there are special events for entertainment and encouragement of local artists. The cafe supports local area events, such as the Art Walk, and Fox Valley Book Festival, as well as charitable causes, sometimes with special dinners as fund-raisers.
I highly recommend that you visit this locally owned and operated establishment!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Jan E
“Nice Place”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stopped in after touring the River by walking it, we had coffee and ice water, the coffee was excellent, the water was wet and cold

Visited April 2012