“Food is good, owner is objectionable”
Review of Atlas Coffee Mill

Atlas Coffee Mill
Ranked #12 of 12 Coffee & Tea in Appleton
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have been here numerous times. The food is quite good but the service is slow. The owner has a problem with allowing patrons to choose their own seating even with the restaurant not busy. All tables are marked reserved when clearly they are not. I have not been allowed to sit where I wanted even though there was no reason to restrict me.

7  Thank Mark C

Reviewed March 30, 2013

A beautiful view and a quiet place that is unfortunately run by a miserable bag of bones. Apparently the owner's wife, this crotchety grandma will be the demise of the Atlas Coffee Mill.

On my one and only visit, I was scolded for not "checking in" at the counter when arriving late to meet my sister (who had checked in). We are both post-grads on the hunt for jobs, so we thought we would find a new spot, get a coffee and send out some resumes. When I asked for the wifi password, the lady raised her eyebrow in deep suspicion and said she had to follow me back to my computer before giving it to me...despite the fact that I bought a 2-day old Manderfield's cookie from her for 3 bucks!

While sitting there, my sister and I were warned not to use our phones (even though we werent using them). AND after I leaned forward to plug in my computer, she b-lined it to me to tell me to sit up straight on the chair, so as not to put pressure on the legs. THE STEEL BRASS CHAIR... I was just about to make a fake crack about how self-conscious and upset I am about gaining weight to try and make her feel bad, but I held my tongue. I'm sure her power trip would plow on regardless.

You have to be 21+ to use the public computer there and you aren't allowed to sit at a table if you don't have the exact number of people sitting at that table. WEIRD! This lady definitely covers all of her furniture plastic. Too bad she has to ruin such a beautiful locale. I am also sorry for that poor husband of hers.

DONT GO.

18  Thank Samantha W
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This is my favorite Fox Valley restaurant. I am surprised by the negative reviews posted on this site! I am sorry to hear that some people were disappointed; I have been to the Atlas many times, and always found it delightful. I love the fact that it is quieter than most restaurants, facilitating easy conversation. Soft music plays in the background, which adds a soothing touch to the atmosphere.
I meet in the cafe once a month with a group of six writers; once we were seated near the speakers and found the music slightly distracting. The proprietor cheerfully adjusted it. The decor is one of my favorite aspects with wonderful colors, and amazing tables and chairs! I love the large, colorful cloth napkins, the weight of the flatware, and the square plates!
In addition to meeting with a group, I have been here many times with special guests. I have enjoyed the patio overlooking the river on some occasions, other times have eaten indoors. I have been here with large groups of family, and have been accompanied by one friend. We have always enjoyed the experience.
The food is delicious, always served with a garnish, usually fruit. The staff is courteous, the proprietors warm and friendly. In addition to regular operating hours, there are special events for entertainment and encouragement of local artists. The cafe supports local area events, such as the Art Walk, and Fox Valley Book Festival, as well as charitable causes, sometimes with special dinners as fund-raisers.
I highly recommend that you visit this locally owned and operated establishment!

1  Thank Jan E
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stopped in after touring the River by walking it, we had coffee and ice water, the coffee was excellent, the water was wet and cold

Reviewed November 29, 2012

The gray-haired lady that seats you is off-the-charts rude. I was willing to pay for overpriced food that isn't even prepared on the premises in order to have brunch with an old friend in a nice atmosphere. The patio seating is lovely in the summer, but cold weather necessitated we sit indoors. Of all the tables in the restaurant, only one table had an occupant and another table had a reserved sign on it. She proceeded to seat us at a counter facing the wall. When I asked if we could be seated at one of the empty tables, she told me they were reserved. When I tried to move at least one chair to have a view out the window over the counter, the lady told me to leave the chair where it was so that she could seat two more people at the counter. I felt as though she was scolding me. When my friend and I decided leave and go to a different restaurant so that we could have a conversation facing one another rather than a wall, the young, dark-haired person who also works there asked us if she could help us. I told her that we wanted to sit at the table instead of the counter, but the other lady said all of the tables were reserved. The young woman said that the tables weren't reserved and she would be happy to seat us at a table. At this point the rude lady appeared and asked what we thought we were doing. We explained that the young woman told us tables were available. With a raised voice, the now downright mean lady yelled at us that she ought to know what tables were available since she was the one seating people. I felt so humiliated and will never ever go back there until there is new ownership. I don't imagine that will take long. Judging by other reviewers' similar experiences, these owners will probably go out of business soon.

16  Thank luv2travl26