“Hapless staff”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Appleton
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Hapless staff”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Deliberately chose this hotel because it has a restaurant open late. Upon arrival@8 pm we affirmed that the restaurant would be open for a while, and were assured that it might close early but surely no earlier than 10. I said to expect three for dinner. We came to the restaurant area off the lobby @ 9pm and waited for 15 minutes, no other customers or staff at the bar or front desk. Finally the front desk clerk who assured me that the restaurant would be open reappears, and upon inquiry said O she (the chef) decided to clock out. We were given breakfast free the next day, rather perfunctorily, indicating that this happens all the time. Breakfast Sunday seemed to completely overwhelm the 2 waitstaff, even though it is a buffet; food was not stocked or hot, and empty coffee urns. Decent property, but poorly run, outnumbered, ill trained, clueless staff.

Room Tip: Don't come here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Libby S
Chadd S, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Cambria Suites Appleton and for your valued feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your experience with our restaurant. Please know that this kind of situation does not happen all the time and is by no means a regular occurrence. Our restaurant is open from 5pm - 11pm every night of the week, except during certain holidays and some special events. Although, I was unable to pinpoint when this incident might have occurred, I do sincerely apologize for it. I have also addressed the incident and concern with our food & beverage manager and team.

Regarding breakfast the next morning, as you witnessed, our restaurant can be very busy and this often happens in waves. There also can be sold-out nights when the next morning is slower than half-full nights and vice versa. So, as you can imagine, this can be a tricky to staff for at times. In addition to the wait staff, there's always a cook and most of the time a busser as well. Nonetheless, you experienced one of the busier times and you found it less than satisfactory and I apologize for this. I have addressed the concern with our food & beverage manager and breakfast team.

I do hope that you allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future. I know you'd enjoy our evening dining experience as our food is very good. If you care to contact me directly, I would value more in-depth information about your experience. Kind Regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Palatine
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Decided to stay here after receiving a great deal as part of my Choice Hotel loyalty membership program. Hotel is great looking, contemporary and inviting. Overall the room and size was great. Bathroom could have been more thoroughly cleaned, there is space behind the bathroom door. Food offerings for additional cost are not much more than competitors offer complimentary.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wisconsin
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights last week. I'll start by saying the room was very nice. However, the staff was not at all friendly. Choice Hotels makes a big deal out of their rewards problem, saying they recognize frequent travelers. At check-in the female clerk just asked my name and put the keys on the counter. I had to ask the best way to get to our room. Every time we walked by the front desk the employees never greeted or even acknowledged us. They weren't busy, just not friendly. Room service knocks on your door at 8:30am. We say we are still in the room. They left and never come back. No breakfast of any kind. Hotel is not in a convenient location.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Cambria Suites Appleton and for taking the time to share comments about your stay. I regret the disappointments you endured during your recent stay with us. Please accept my personal apologies.

Regarding our staff being friendly, this is something our entire team prides themselves on. They all try to go the extra mile to ensure each and every guest is completely satisfied and that our accommodations resemble nothing less than a true "home away from home" experience. Our team is trained to acknowledge every guest that they encounter within three feet of them. You mention that this did not happen and I apologize for this. I did address your concerns accordingly with our guest services team.

You mentioned room service knocking on your door at 8:30am. This would only happen if you ordered something from our restaurant and requested it be brought to your room. So, I'm wondering if you mean our housekeeping service? In any regard, our housekeeping service would knock on your door at some point during the am only to see if you're still in your room and/or to see if you would like housekeeping service for that day. You don't state whether or not you asked them to return...only that you indicated your still in your room. Our policy is to ask the guest if there's a better time to come back and if no preference is given, our housekeeping staff will automatically check back later on during the day. You mention that this did not happen and I apologize for this. I did address your concerns accordingly with our housekeeping team.

You indicate no breakfast of any kind. Our restaurant is open for breakfast every day of the week (Mon - Fri from 6am-10am and Saturday & Sunday from 7am-11am).

I am sorry that our location wasn't convenient for your trip. We actually receive a lot of feedback about how great our location is. However, I understand that everyone has different proximity requirements as this becomes a personal preference item in relation to what has brought you to the Appleton/Fox Cities area.

Thank you for your insightful feedback. I sincerely hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again. Kind Regards.
WAUPACA
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Had an early flight out of Appleton in snow season and didn't want to be snowed in one hour away. This place is close enough to the airport but not so close to be noisy. The room is a suite with a tv in the bedroom and a separate area for another tv to be viewed from a sofa. Nice bath and body as well as well as coffee selection. Restaurant, coffee shop, snack and necessity shop in lobby area with wine. Nice fitness room pool/hot tub. I walked to the shipload express and bought a microwave pizza as there is a microwave in the room. The bed was comfortable and area very safe to walk. Our shuttle driver was there when we needed him and friendly as was the hotel staff. Excellent stay before a long travel day.

• Stayed January 2013
Hastings, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at the cambria suites after a packer game. It was a short drive there. The hotel staff was friendly, the rooms were very clean and the beds were like heaven. I also thought it was nice that they have cordless phones in the rooms. The best part was that my fiance proposed to me at breakfast in the hotel. We will surely be staying there again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
lansing mi
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Pretty clean although they should use bleach on towels and bedding- make up stains etc... threw me off because the room is so sleek and upscale looking. The bedding- blankets are thin and surprisingly not the best. Big fluffy pillows... I expected comfy blankets to go with it. Overall a good hotel in a good location. Non smoking and pet free a big plus for biz travel on a weeknight.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was picked for me by the company I work for and I assumed it would just be a regular basic hotel. I was so impressed by the helpful staff that had our itineraries and meal tickets ready for us, had the shuttle ready for us in the mornings, and even wished us a good day at work and welcomed us back at night. The whole hotel was really clean and the rooms had so much space and comfortable to come back to after a long day. I will always stay here when coming back to Appleton and look for Cambria Suites wherever I travel!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business