“Nice place”

Java Warung
Ranked #22 of 378 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic Indonesian dining in a casual atmosphere. Lunch buffet, dinner and all day Sunday is menu only. A perfect place for a night out with friends, business dinner, lunch from the buffet or take-out. Our casual dining area is designed to add to the dining experience by bringing a small sampling of Indonesian culture and art.
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Went for the lunch buffet. Food was good just wished that we knew what we were all eating. The atmosphere was great and food was very good. Especially the desserts. Would recommend for some unique eating

2  Thank Adam S

Reviewed June 16, 2014

My wife and I had dinner here on a Sunday with my very picky 3 and 6 year old daughters. We were pleasantly surprised with our dining experience and will be back for sure. I think next time we will return for the lunch buffet to better sample all that this restaurant has to offer.

Our little girls very much liked the Nasi Goreng (Indonesian fried rice with chicken, but with much better spices than the traditional Chines fried rice), while my wife and I both enjoyed curry dishes.

We enjoyed chicken satay (with an awesome, again different, peanut sauce) and fried wontons as appetizers.

If I had to pick a negative I would say that the waiter was a little too green and he had to come back to our table twice to clarify our straightforward order. He was a little awkward in his mannerisms too and was nervous enough in his actions that it made us a little nervous too.

I don't usually write reviews, but I figured I had to write one for this restaurant. A true gem amongst hum drum flavorless bar and grill type establishments and I hope that they are around for a very long time.

4  Thank Rob A
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Excellent food and service. Plenty of choices. I would recommend the Lunch Buffet for a fast delicious lunch. make it a point to stop in when I am in town on Business.

2  Thank Jay R
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Went with some friends to the buffet, it was outstanding and went back twice since. Always fantastic freshly prepared food. Love the spicey chicken and lodeh. Have not been yet to dinner but heard from other customers it is also fantastic.

They do need some upgrading on the outside, curb appeal just is not quite there but the food is clearly the best Asian dining in town.

2  Thank Joe D
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had the Pastel as appetizer, Gule Kambing, a lamb curry and Lodeh, a tropical vegetable stew for main dishes. We loved all of them, my favorite was Lodeh. They tasted fantastic, and different from the common dishes you eat at other Asian restaurants. I especially liked their spicy mango with cilantro as a side, and that they used whole, flavorful spices instead of ground/dried ones.

There were very few people on Sunday at lunchtime though, and I was surprised about that. They have really good food, very reasonably priced and the portions are very satisfactory. The serving could use some improvement though, because even though our server was really nice, she didn't know what some of the dishes were, and she brought the two main plates out with like 5 minute difference.

3  Thank Traveler20482014
dwpickett, Owner at Java Warung, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Thank you very much for your compliments and criticisms. The spicy mango was added recently and we have gotten a lot of compliments. My wife, Enny, runs the restaurant. She is from the island of Madura which is in East Java, Indonesia, near Surabaya. The food she prepares in the restaurant is the food she grew up with and our goal is to provide that same food in Appleton, WI. She prepares all of the spices herself which adds a lot to flavor of the food. Without this added effort, the food just is not the same.

We started the restaurant less than a year ago and our business is slowly increasing. We do a little advertising but are mostly depending on word of mouth. During the summer, we will be concentrating on improving our curb appeal, general outside appearance and signage. The remodeling of the building was done mostly by me and the decorating was by Enny, who painted all of the paintings in the dining area. Now with the weather back nice I will get back to work on remodeling the outside.

Thank you for pointing out the server had difficulty explaining items on the menu. She is very new and, it seems, has not quite fully learned the menu, so we will do some more training for this. She is a very good worker and is learning very fast so next time you are there she will be better able to help.

Been to Java Warung? Share your experiences!