“Enjoyable Indonesian in Appleton”
Review of Java Warung

Java Warung
Ranked #22 of 370 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian, Malaysian
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Authentic Indonesian dining in a casual atmosphere. Lunch buffet, dinner and all day Sunday is menu only. A perfect place for a night out with friends, business dinner, lunch from the buffet or take-out. Our casual dining area is designed to add to the dining experience by bringing a small sampling of Indonesian culture and art.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Ate here before comedy show at Skyline. Excellent variety and lots new to try. Goat meat curry was tasty. Padang Grilled Duck was very good. My wife loved the Gado Gado salad. Friendly, capable service. Pleasant, but not dramatic setting. Come for the food. Inexpensive too.

3  Thank Terry W
There are newer reviews for Java Warung

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Recommended by a friend who said this was his favorite restaurant. He loves their lunch buffet. We went with a group of 5 people and everyone at the table was highly impressed with the food, everything. I had the smoked pompano (she called pomfret in Indonesian). Others had lamb and goat meat curry, gado gado, an Indonesian vegetarian salad, and a shrimp curry. Also had the fried squid and eggrolls for appetizers. For me, I cannot remember a better meal, ever.

I have eaten at a lot of restaurants in the Appleton area, especially Asian, and this is one of the best and, by far, the best Asian restaurant we have tried.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

My mom and I dined at Java Warung on a Friday around 1:00 p.m. We both had the buffet which on Fridays and Saturdays includes many seafood choices for $8.99. The buffet on other days is $7.50. We were at the tail-end of the lunch hour so some of the buffet choices were almost gone and were no longer being refilled at this point. Regardless, we still had many options including sweet and sour fish (my fav), mackerel, shrimp, a salmon dish, a delicious chicken curry, fried rice, garlic chicken, fried plantains, sweet potato and tarro, egg rolls, etc. Plenty of things to choose from and I tried a little bit of every gluten-free dish. (The owner had a post-it note on the sneeze-glass above every dish stating what it was and whether it was gluten-free or not.)

In addition to two buffet tables of hot dishes there was also a fruit buffet, two soup choices, and a dessert table. The decor is not fancy (I believe the restaurant used to be a fast food joint) with simple cafe tables.

The owner was wonderful in answering my questions about what we were eating since some of the dishes were traditional Indonesian fare that I had never tried before. My mom enjoyed the fried plantain, sweet potato and tarro chips and the owner brought the whole vegetables out from the kitchen so we could see what they looked like. She also brought out a dragon fruit for guests to sample.

I asked the owner what Java Warung (pronounced war-oon) means and she said that she is from the Island of Java and "warung" means a small, family-run restaurant.

In summary, we had a wonderful time trying all of the different dishes offered at the buffet. When we go again, we will get there a little closer to noon so we have more options. The buffet is a great price for how much food is available. And the owner is more than willing to share a little glimpse into her culture.

2  Thank Kelly R
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I've eaten here three times and the owner has always personally made sure we had a great experience. The food is unusual, in that I haven't eaten much at truly Indonesian restaurants. Come prepared to experiment. Some of the dishes remind me of Chinese while others remind me of Indian food. We especially enjoy the lunch buffet, served every day but Sunday and they are closed on Monday. There are so many choices of delicious items. Recent highlights for us included the oxtail soup and the tasty, tender ribs. I have a sweet tooth and she makes fantastic desserts (mostly American style) as part of the buffet. If you enjoy Asian food, this is a must stop for Appleton.

1  Thank Skytrekker
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The lunch buffet is a Culinary Journey. Amazing!!!! If you haven't been there you are missing out on a taste delicious odyssey. The Owners are wonderful. We will be regular customers.

3  Thank Drblohm