“Amazing Food, Best Asian in Appleton”
Review of Java Warung

Java Warung
Ranked #10 of 366 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic Indonesian dining in a casual atmosphere. Lunch buffet, dinner and all day Sunday is menu only. A perfect place for a night out with friends, business dinner, lunch from the buffet or take-out. Our casual dining area is designed to add to the dining experience by bringing a small sampling of Indonesian culture and art.
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing Food, Best Asian in Appleton”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Recommended by a friend who said this was his favorite restaurant. He loves their lunch buffet. We went with a group of 5 people and everyone at the table was highly impressed with the food, everything. I had the smoked pompano (she called pomfret in Indonesian). Others had lamb and goat meat curry, gado gado, an Indonesian vegetarian salad, and a shrimp curry. Also had the fried squid and eggrolls for appetizers. For me, I cannot remember a better meal, ever.

I have eaten at a lot of restaurants in the Appleton area, especially Asian, and this is one of the best and, by far, the best Asian restaurant we have tried.

Manawa
“Buffet is Culinary Adventure for Great Price”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My mom and I dined at Java Warung on a Friday around 1:00 p.m. We both had the buffet which on Fridays and Saturdays includes many seafood choices for $8.99. The buffet on other days is $7.50. We were at the tail-end of the lunch hour so some of the buffet choices were almost gone and were no longer being refilled at this point. Regardless, we still had many options including sweet and sour fish (my fav), mackerel, shrimp, a salmon dish, a delicious chicken curry, fried rice, garlic chicken, fried plantains, sweet potato and tarro, egg rolls, etc. Plenty of things to choose from and I tried a little bit of every gluten-free dish. (The owner had a post-it note on the sneeze-glass above every dish stating what it was and whether it was gluten-free or not.)

In addition to two buffet tables of hot dishes there was also a fruit buffet, two soup choices, and a dessert table. The decor is not fancy (I believe the restaurant used to be a fast food joint) with simple cafe tables.

The owner was wonderful in answering my questions about what we were eating since some of the dishes were traditional Indonesian fare that I had never tried before. My mom enjoyed the fried plantain, sweet potato and tarro chips and the owner brought the whole vegetables out from the kitchen so we could see what they looked like. She also brought out a dragon fruit for guests to sample.

I asked the owner what Java Warung (pronounced war-oon) means and she said that she is from the Island of Java and "warung" means a small, family-run restaurant.

In summary, we had a wonderful time trying all of the different dishes offered at the buffet. When we go again, we will get there a little closer to noon so we have more options. The buffet is a great price for how much food is available. And the owner is more than willing to share a little glimpse into her culture.

2 Thank Kelly R
California
“Unique dishes, very personal attention from owner”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I've eaten here three times and the owner has always personally made sure we had a great experience. The food is unusual, in that I haven't eaten much at truly Indonesian restaurants. Come prepared to experiment. Some of the dishes remind me of Chinese while others remind me of Indian food. We especially enjoy the lunch buffet, served every day but Sunday and they are closed on Monday. There are so many choices of delicious items. Recent highlights for us included the oxtail soup and the tasty, tender ribs. I have a sweet tooth and she makes fantastic desserts (mostly American style) as part of the buffet. If you enjoy Asian food, this is a must stop for Appleton.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Skytrekker
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Culinary Journey”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The lunch buffet is a Culinary Journey. Amazing!!!! If you haven't been there you are missing out on a taste delicious odyssey. The Owners are wonderful. We will be regular customers.

3 Thank Drblohm
Appleton, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Great lunch buffet"”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

My family went here for the lunch buffet. The interior is very clean, tidy, and bright. The buffet was arranged very attractively, and was a lovely presentation. We were greeted by the owner/chef, who was very pleasant. (Speaking with her after our meal, I commented on the artwork in the restaurant and found out that all of the paintings were done by the owner herself!)

The variety was good, and we had no problem finding suitable food for our two very young children to enjoy. There were 2 kinds of soup, several noodle, meat, and vegetable dishes, salad, sushi, fresh fruit and vegetable platters, and desserts. We tasted a little bit of almost everything, and the major favorite was the "sweet and sour fish." The sushi was unique, with mango and seaweed.

We paid $7.50 for lunch buffet for adults (weekday), and $5.00 for my oldest child. Youngest was free, although he ate an eggroll and quite a lot of fresh blackberries.

I've been told that they also have excellent coffee drinks, but I didn't order any myself. I'm looking forward to going back!

• Visited February 2014