“Excellent Food”

Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 3, 2014

A group of four of us just finished an excellent meal at Houdini's. The pot stickers were scored a 10 out of 10. They came with a peanut sauce. More likely a peanut sauce with something else added to it. It had a great flavor. The pot stickers were pan fried to the level of being crunchy. Very good. We also enjoyed the parmesan garlic chicken wings. They were a nice size portion for $6. While the hamburger and shrimp scampi were good, the big hit at our table was my meal; pesto pasta with sundried tomatoes. Oh my goodness! It was heaven.
I read some older reviews where people commented on slow service, but we didn't experience this at all. In fact, one member of our group mentioned the great number of staff, all being quite attentive.
This was my first time at Houdini's. I can't wait to return.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

There was a great selection - my daughter is vegetarian and she had plenty of delicious choices. I had the Wisconsin Panini and the Truffle Oil Mac and Cheese. The panini had a generous amount of roast beef. The mac and cheese was good - but not anything special. The staff did a good job. My only complaint was that we were seated in the dining room in the back and due to the low ceilings it was so noisy we couldn't even hear each other.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are happy to see a change from the ordinary making a stand in the Appleton area. Too often restaurants with a different flair on the menu tend to go by the wayside. Enough of the burgers, tacos, and pizza already. The menu is not large, but unique. The food is tasty and the staff is very catering and friendly.

1  Thank pupster2
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I were there last month. I started with the beet salad and it was very very good. The Wisconsin Panini and truffle mac and cheese was what my husband ordered, my husband really liked the Panini. The mac and cheese was also very good, the truffle flavor wasn't overly strong like ones we've had in the past. I had the Rustic Chicken which was alright, I didn't taste the goat cheese which was suppose to be inside, I wouldn't order it again. I also ordered the risotto was was very good, it was sun-dried tomato, I would have switched it to mushroom if I had the choice though. Overall, really good, we will definitely go back to try other items on the menu.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

A friend recommended this place. When we pulled into the parking lot, my first thought was, " You've got to be kidding me"! We walked into what looked like a typical Wisconsin bar and asked for menus. We requested patio seating and were escorted back.

The patio was lovely, and the food was superb! I had the tomato bisque which was accompanied by a grilled cheese quarter. If there is a God, he created the tomato to make this bisque possible! Seriously!

My friends ordered the french onion soup and they all loved it.

I also ordered the gastro burger with gruyere cheese and mushrooms. For a side, I had fresh cut fries, which came in a miniature fry basket. Excellent! To be perfectly honest, I don't remember what my friends ordered for entrees. I was too involved in my own meal to even care!