“friendly & unique”

Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We are happy to see a change from the ordinary making a stand in the Appleton area. Too often restaurants with a different flair on the menu tend to go by the wayside. Enough of the burgers, tacos, and pizza already. The menu is not large, but unique. The food is tasty and the staff is very catering and friendly.

1  Thank pupster2

Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I were there last month. I started with the beet salad and it was very very good. The Wisconsin Panini and truffle mac and cheese was what my husband ordered, my husband really liked the Panini. The mac and cheese was also very good, the truffle flavor wasn't overly strong like ones we've had in the past. I had the Rustic Chicken which was alright, I didn't taste the goat cheese which was suppose to be inside, I wouldn't order it again. I also ordered the risotto was was very good, it was sun-dried tomato, I would have switched it to mushroom if I had the choice though. Overall, really good, we will definitely go back to try other items on the menu.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

A friend recommended this place. When we pulled into the parking lot, my first thought was, " You've got to be kidding me"! We walked into what looked like a typical Wisconsin bar and asked for menus. We requested patio seating and were escorted back.

The patio was lovely, and the food was superb! I had the tomato bisque which was accompanied by a grilled cheese quarter. If there is a God, he created the tomato to make this bisque possible! Seriously!

My friends ordered the french onion soup and they all loved it.

I also ordered the gastro burger with gruyere cheese and mushrooms. For a side, I had fresh cut fries, which came in a miniature fry basket. Excellent! To be perfectly honest, I don't remember what my friends ordered for entrees. I was too involved in my own meal to even care!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This has become one of our favorite places to relax with good food at a very reasonable price. The menu has some consistent winners, but always ask about the specials; they are worth checking into.
Service, especially recently, has been good and consistent. Servers know the menu well and are attentive.
On busy nights the bar is a little loud, but you have the dining room option which is quieter and in nice weather you can choose the patio.
We are glad they have joined the Appleton restaurant scene.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We've visited Houdini's Escape Gastropub four or five times in the past few months. We're not much into the popular pub scene at Houdini's, but prefer to eat in the upper level dining area. The menu offers a nice choice of salads, sandwiches, and both medium- and larger-size entrees. The food is be very good and the wait-stay is both friendly and efficient. Our meals have always been served in a timely fashion. Based on our recommendation, a number of our friends have gone to Houdini's and are now regular customers. Houdini's ranks very high on our shortlist of local Appleton restaurants where we are confident that our dining-out expectations will be satisfied at every visit. Try it, you'll like it!