“A Pleasant Surprise”

Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The service was good and the decor was nice. They have a lot of beers to offer. The menu is very diverse. I had the soft shell crab sandwich. It was good, not great. The homemade potato chips were good. Some were overdone and I had to pick those out. I will give it another go.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went on a Saturday for lunch. Ordered the fish tacos per recommendation by the waiter and other diners. I am not a fan of deep fried fish in fish tacos. I have had them several places where it is grilled fish and its much better. These were pretty good, though, if you didn't know any better. Appetizer we had was fried proscuitto on baguettes with an over easy egg on top. My girlfriend loved it. Excellent presentation. Atmosphere was pretty good, though it was a 90 degree day and it was probably 86 in there. I would try it again.

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Overal this is just your average pub. Nothing is gastro about it. Ingredients are average, meals are average, drinks are average, price was average, service was average, experience was.... Average. Lets be honest if you are going to rep the Houdini name, make me love it or hate it. Don't bore me to the site of food on par with Applebee's.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I figured we would check out the new gastropub on Saturday night around 8pm. I used to be a regular at The Recovery Room so I wanted to see what the renovations changed. We may as well see what they're made of by showing up in the middle of a dinner service.

Despite it being busy, we were quickly given a table for two. The walls are a weird green-tan and a slightly dark red, lined with very dark wood. It honestly made the place feel very cramped. The Houdini posters were nice, but the rest of the decorations were pre-modern and very tacky. Something you would see in a bored suburban housewife's home. There were also three TVs in the dining room, which I found really unnecessary as I saw no one even paying attention to them while I was there.

It took a while to get two glasses of water and even longer to get our food. We were there for an hour and forty minutes and probably ate for only 15-20 of them. I hardly finished my greasy Wisconsin panini - an extreme disappointment. The sandwich was almost paper-thin and hardly seemed fresh. Thank goodness the waitress had the consideration to comp my meal. This is the first time in my life I've had to do this. My girlfriends cod turned out well, but the fries seemed lifeless. The vegetable sides were way too oily, which ruined them.

Throughout dinner I noticed chefs and a couple other employees taking numerous smoke breaks which meant they had to walk through the dining room to the back patio. At a couple points there were chefs going through the dining room, not to talk to customers, but to grab frozen meat from the freezer in the back. I know the place has an awkward layout, always has, but I would have loved to see them carrying out fresh meat instead.

We were not impressed with any one aspect of the place: the food, the decor, even the menus. The best part of the evening was that our server was very kind. Unless they really turn things around we will never be back and we will certainly not recommend Houdini's Escape.

1  Thank James E
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We went to Houdini's on a Sunday afternoon for drinks and food. We had no idea what to expect, but it was fabulous. Here are the highlights: wide variety of bottled beer, well-made drinks, excellent food, chill interior ambiance, relaxing patio with beautiful flowers. The only downfall was there was no music on the patio, even though there were speakers. We will be back for sure! It's a nicely-renovated hidden gem.

2  Thank JLHeiny