“Excellent Christmas Display”

Hearthstone Historic House Museum
Ranked #4 of 38 things to do in Appleton
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent trees on display in the winter! Excellent tour and guide and very informative. We learned a lot about Appleton even though we have lived here our entire lives.

All reviews
"hydroelectric power"
in 6 reviews
"great tour"
in 7 reviews
"historical home"
in 4 reviews
"tour guides are very knowledgeable"
"private tour"
in 11 reviews
"furnishings"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed February 16, 2014

I loved the incredible detail of this historic house. Our guide brought us through most of the house and explained about every room. The only downside is that you don't get to see the entire house. I wish I could have seen it all, whether it was decorated or in shabby conditions I would want to see it anyway.
It was a small entrance fee. You had to ring the doorbell, and they answer the door.
I can't wait for my mom to visit from NY so I can bring her!
Loved all the fireplaces and hand carved woodwork. The hand painted tiles were also very cool.
They do not allow photography inside.

1  Thank Rebecca S
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The Hearthstone House has such beautiful wood work on the first floor. All the woodwork was hand carved in the 1880's, from floor to the 12 foot ceilings. There are also 9 hearths (fire places) in the house. Each one decorated with ceramic tiles of different themes. This is the first house in the world that had electric provided by hydroelectric power. The origanal light fixtures are very ornate brass, and were made for electric or gas, in this case they were converted to electric, made universally for both for gas or electric. Our tour guide was very knowledgable and every time we visit a historic site we learn new things. I would definately reccommend this attraction to anyone visting the Appleton area.

1  Thank Randy R
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've been here twice now, once on the guided tour and once for just a quick walk around. I learned a lot during the guided tour and wish I could have seen more! It's got a lot of history and character and is an absolutely beautiful house. It's a bit pricey, but well worth a visit if you're interested in local history and architecture.

1  Thank Kailyn D