“Fantastic location, great hotel!!”
Review of CopperLeaf Hotel

CopperLeaf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Wisconsin
“Fantastic location, great hotel!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2006

Stayed at the Copper Leaf for 1 night on a Friday. We stayed in a Silver Whilpool Suite for our anniversary. Very nice, clean hotel. Room was on the 4th floor facing out to College Ave and the side street. Very comfortable bed with extra pillows and soft bedding. Whirlpool was large and right in the bedroom area. When you walk in the room, there is a small sitting area with a TV, couch, microwave, coffee pot and mini bar. Mini bar had various snacks, bottled water, soda, wine, beer and many small liquor bottles. The next area was the bathroom. Very nice size with a shower only. The bathroom had an actual hair dryer, not the one that is attached to the wall, lighted vanity mirror and Aveda products to use. (Shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash and lotion). Hotel is located by the Performing Arts Center and many other bars/restaurants. There was a nice Spa located inside and prices seemed very reasonable. The Black & Tan restaurant was also located on the main floor of the hotel. When you check in, you get a coupon for a free appetizer. Food was excellent and some of the menu changes depending on the season. Continental breakfast was included from 7-10am and had a nice selection of coffee, juices, milk, bagels, omlettes, english muffins, cereals, fruit and more. Excellent hotel, I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank vegasluvr05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Minneapolis
Reviewed September 8, 2006

I have to honestly say that the Copperleaf was the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in. It is still pretty new, so everything is nice and not shabby and it was very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. We arrived later on a Friday night and ordered room service just before the time service stopped and the food was really good and our server couldn't have been nicer about it. I tend to get creeped out by hotel beds but was definitely not in this case. The coverlets have duvet covers on them that get washed between visitors so there are no grody bedspreads and the beds were comfortable (firm mattress with softer pillows). There are Aveda products in the bathrooms, too. I liked using the exercise room and hot tub in the basement level (both of which were very clean and there were towels provided for each). I didn't visit the spa there but it looked really nice. The continental breakfast serves the usual type of food. My only real complaints are that the robes in the rooms are pretty small (if they are going to provide robes, they should provide real ones that don't have ugly short sleeves and that will actually fit people bigger than a size 2) and the minibar prices should be provided. (It is a real minibar, so it is pretty much full already, although there is some room in it for a couple of your own things to fit.) I didn't dare have a soda because I had no clue how expensive it would be (but I knew it would probably be pricey). So bring your own drinks before you get there if you don't want to pay minibar prices. FYI, you do have to pay to park in the ramp next to the hotel.

• Liked — Comfortable and clean room
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MsMariO
Templeton, California
Reviewed August 12, 2006

Loved the location, which is central to nearly everything you would or could want to visit. The staff is friendly, the Black & Tan restaurant on the lower floor is awesome, and the rooms are nice. We stayed in a Platinum Suite, which was well appointed and decorated. The only downside is the walls act like a sound-board to resonate every word through to you. One night, during a week stay, we did not sleep due to the fight in the suite next to our bedroom. We switched to our living room, then had to listen to the partying going on from a wedding group through that wall. There was no view from the windows, which looks over the a/c units and towards a brickwall; but, this did not bother us. The "fireplace" is an electric rotating drum or some kind of visual effect of "fire" - good point is, the kid's can't get burned by any hot embers. All in all, we would stay here again, only bring our earplugs this time.

• Liked — Size of rooms and decor
  • Disliked — Unbelievably thin walls
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring earplugs
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank its_Marci
Chicago, Il
Reviewed February 25, 2006

For the past month I have been visiting colleges with my son who is auditioning for music schools. We stayed at the Copperleaf during our visit to Lawrence University. During good weather you could walk from the hotel to Lawrence. Since it was cold and windy during our stay we drove. Parking is a little awkward at the Copperleaf. You have to use a multi-story garage that is next to, but not actually connected, to the hotel. There are a number of doors to open and close, so it was a bit of a challenge with our luggage. They do have a bellman who will hold your luggage for you by the front door while you go get the car. We stayed in a Silver Suite (the one with the whirlpool as opposed to the one with the fireplace). I thought the room was lovely and very clean. Wireless internet was easy to set up. The whirlpool tub is right in the bedroom, so it wasn't very useful given that I was traveling with my son. As someone else noted, it did not look like a comfortable tub for two (assuming I had been there for romance). There is also a shower in the nice bathroom. The king size bed was luxurious in terms of bedding and comfort. Unfortunately, our room was right on the corner of the busy intersection, and I was bothered by street noise when I tried to fall asleep (11p.m. on a Friday night). The hotel must be aware of this because they offer a special alarm clock with "nature sounds" to shut out other noises--you could choose from ocean, thunder, rainforest, etc. Overall, I did like the hotel and appreciated the friendly staff. I didn't use the spa or restaurant but I checked out the fitness room, which was small but adequate. Contintental breakfast (free) included coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cheese, pastries, toast, bagels, and juices. There is no pool but they do have a whirlpool/hot tub next to the fitness room. I thought the hotel was good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank chaucerquest
Green Bay
Reviewed January 14, 2006

My husband and I spent one glorious night at the Copperleaf as a short getaway. The staff was friendly. The room was spacious and clean, and the continental breakfast was nice. We had a Silver Suite with whirlpool tub, which we really enjoyed. We also had a very good couples massage at the spa. It was nice to be able to walk to the restaurants and night clubs in downtown Appleton. The only drawback was that you could hear the street noise (lots of partying) until all hours of the night in the room. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance of the hotel and plan to return.

3 Thank Cheeseheads
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 4, 2005

The hotel was very modern and sleek as a previous poster stated. I don't know if it was newly remodeled or just is kept very clean! The room was spotless and like new. It is higher end but probably still not worth the prices they charge. I stayed in the Platinum Fireplace suite... let me say the fireplace is very weak! It is electronic and omit no heat or sound! You can't even see it from the bed unless you sit up. I didn't care for the fireplace! You would have though they would have invested a little more money into the fireplace since it is called the "Platinum Fireplace Suit". We got there at 3pm for check-in and the lady was still cleaning our room so we stood stupidly waiting for about 20 minutes or so. As you enter the room there is a full sitting room with a HDTV and then doors leading to the bedroom and bath area. The HDTV was rather a waste because most of the shows didn't fill the screen and the channels that were made for HDTV which were only a few still didn't fill the screen the whole way. I felt like everything looked really narrow. The couch was a pull out which wasn't that comfortable. The fridge was full of drinks so you couldn't fit any food into it! The drinks were way over priced! They had a microwave which would be nice for an extended stay over you couldn't really fit any food into the fridge! I cranked the furnace up because it was a bit cool and the furnace is very loud and wakes you up when it goes on and off. You can hear other people flushing their toliets or filling their whirlpool tub. Luckily we didn't really hear to much when we went to bed. The whirlpool fits (1) person! unless you are very tiny. The bathroom has a nice large shower however the toliet is cramped in a small place behind the door. The robes weren't all that soft... My bed had home is still more comfortable than theirs! It didn't seem like a pillowtop to me and was very firm. The pillows were awful... my neck hurt all night. They had feather pillows on the bed and a couple of normal ones in the closet. The TV was in a cabinet in the bedroom and had a vcr/dvd player in there but none in the room with the HDTV. There was a lot of people at the continental breakfast but we didn't go to it. We went to the Performing Arts Center right down the road about a block and that was nice. When we came but the bar/lounge area of the hotel as you walk in was totally full with people mingling or something, it was awkward. The staff was o.k. We didn't go to the Patina resturaunt in the hotel, mostly seaford and too expensive. The spa sounded nice! I would say it is better than most hotels I have been to but mostly all you get is uptight snobs with that price... I would rather stay in the Sybaris!

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank tissie1
Reviewed November 2, 2005

The Copperleaf is a beautiful hotel in downtown Appleton, within walking distance of many restaurants and the performing arts center. The rooms are beautiful, very sleek and modern, and the linens and bed are very comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Free DVD rentals of current movies. Continental breakfast very adequate. My only gripe was there were no vending machines for drinks, and at $2/can for coke out of the mini-bar, my advice is to bring your own.

• Stayed October 2005