“CopperLeaf surpasses expectations!”
Review of CopperLeaf Hotel

CopperLeaf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed July 22, 2014

The CopperLeaf is a VERY nice hotel in downtown Appleton. The room we stayed in was very clean and spacious. Parking structure was $2 every time you entered, but the wi-fi was free. The breakfast was very good...something for everyone. Water, coffee, and tea available in the lobby...and cookies the evening we arrived (I don't know about other times since we were in town for a wedding and otherwise occupied). Staff was helpful and pleasant. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is a nice small hotel in a nice downtown area. Although (ding) the shower head and water pressure are pretty wimpy, the CopperLeaf more than meets my basic standard of "is it clean and does everything work as it should." (And most hotels have trouble meeting that simple basline.) There are three "dings" that need improvement, all of which are fairly easy to correct and the owners should move on this without delay. Let's get them out of the way first:

1. No grab bar for the shower/tub. This is a safety issue and especially so as the jet tub seems slightly taller than the average tub. This wouldn't cause me to avoid staying here but someone with more mobility issues might find this of concern. I'm surprised that a newer hotel such as this omits this and that the local building inspectors and the insurance carriers allowed it. The cost of preventing a fall with injuries is probably less than one settlement if someone was injured.

2. Shower head and shower water pressure is wimpy. The is ironic because the whirlpool tub is a nice touch but while the shower head looks nice it's one of the worst I've experienced. You can find better shower heads at Target and Menards. If I was going to have an extended stay here I would have bought one and installed it myself.

3. There is a nice desk and chair but you have to move the desk to plug in your laptop. This property was built in 2003. It should have outlets near the workspace. The same architect who forget the grab bar in the shower must have forgotten this, too. There is a lamp on the nightstand with two outlets that should be on the desk. An easy fix and better than having to move the desk to get to the outlet below it. If you stay here and have a laptop, don't forget an extension cord.

I didn't mention the parking issue, Others have mentioned it. It's the same way with the Radisson across the street (the 80's called -- they want that hotel back). They simply can't invent a dedicated parking ramp for these hotels with any degree of efficiency or cost effectiveness. That said, I think the hotel owners could work out a deal with the city to provide tokens or some other entry mechanism as a commonsense compromise to this problem.

I put the "dings" first because they aren't bad enough to make most people think twice about staying here and it's much better than the hotel across the street. Hopefully the owners will do more than offer lip service to these simple but commonsense fixes.

Now the good stuff. It's tricky to be upscale in Appleton. For the most part, this is one of the last vestiges of what middle class America looked like before it got ruined. The beauty of Appleton and environs is that it's a largely clean, safe and prosperous area with good people and good neighbors who are that way in real life, not as a put on for visitors. Being ostentatious here would be out of line. The Copperleaf does a good job of being a step above, say, a Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn while not being phony.

As others have noted, there is a nice hot breakfast bar and pancake machine. The hotel restaurant is no more but there are several places to eat within two blocks east or west. Wifi works well. Refrigerator and microwave in the rooms. Nice robes and toiletries. Huge TV. Comfy beds and pillows.

While this is a hotel and not quite perfect, staying here isn't quite like staying at one of the cookie cutter hotels, including the better ones such as Courtyards of Hilton Garden Inns. It's more like staying with friends and family. I'd rate it in between the Courtyard/HGI chains and the Osthoff Resort in Elkhart Lake. What helps make this place nice are the people working here. They're welcoming, nice and, well, sweet. I didn't sense the phony niceness of some places. Everyone at a minimum was both real and welcoming. If this place was ostentatious it would lose that.

What few things ail this place are easy fixes (and should be addressed) and not reason for most people to think twice about staying here. I sense that most of the people working here really do give a s*** (pardon my French!). I would have no hesitancy to stay here again.

Note: the hotel is one black from the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center which is a top-notch facility for any town and especially for one the size of Appleton.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Deb J, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you for your detailed critique of our hotel. I appreciate your wonderful comments about our hotel, location and especially our staff. Our staff enjoys going above and beyond to deliver unexpected customer service and I am fortunate to have such a great team at the Copperleaf. I will share your comments with them.

We often describe our guest rooms as more like a gracious residence than a hotel so it was great to read your description of us. Our goal is to have our guests feel at home here and I am glad you felt that way during your stay with us.

I also appreciate your constructive criticism. We are always looking for ways to improve (no lip service!) so thank you for your useful suggestions. Additional outlets and USB ports are already being addressed with our renovation this fall and your other suggestions will be addressed as well. It is nice to get ideas we can use.

Again, I thank you for your feedback and we all look forward to having you stay with us again.

Deb Johnson

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I attended my cousin's wedding on June 28th, 2014 and had a three night stay at the Copperleaf! Located in a wonderful downtown with exquisite amenities! The staff was so welcoming upon arrival...hats off to Barb and Leah for the great front desk service! Fresh lemon water in the lobby along with tea and coffee and Aveda products in the room! There is a quaint hotel bar. The breakfast was yum, too! I would highly recommend The Copperleaf!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Carla V
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Traveling with friends to a college reunion, we called and were informed the CopperLeaf Hotel had only one room available. Naturally, we hoped for another to become available. Barb took our number and called us a little later to give us the good news.AMAZING....someone paying attention!, We were met with great warmth and friendliness from Barb and Ali. They gave us a great room ,large,comfortable with all we needed. Offered dinner suggestions in nearby restaurants.
Cookies and coffee available in lobby. Parking next door $2.00 overnight.
More than I expected!! Again, many thanks!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I have been traveling to Appleton, WI on business now for 20 years and have stayed at virtually all of the hotels in the area. For the past 10 years I have stayed almost exclusively at The Copperleaf (several days per month) for all of the reasons that one would stay at a boutique hotel: Cleanliness, Comfort, Quality, Convenience and Service. I don't think I have every had to change rooms (which happens too frequently in other hotels), the beds are very, very comfortable and there is every convenience one would expect available to you in the room. Located in the downtown area, there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance and lots of nightlife. The bar area in the hotel is cozy and provides for a great gathering / meeting place after a long day at work. Most importantly - and here is where the staff excels - is the service. Whether it was accommodating us for special occasions, meetings, prompt dry cleaning, shuttle service whatever, I was always taken care of promptly, correctly and with a smiling face. I know practically everyone on the staff and they have always been there for me or other businessmen / women that I travel with on a regular basis. It is my home away from home and everyone there is like family. Everyone who stays there is treated equally as well.
Now, all of that said, do I have any areas where I see room for improvement? My main complaint is the blinds in the room - the room does not get completely dark (there are no curtains that come all the way across the windows - only decorative blinds). For me this is an occasionally issue because the minute light comes in a room, I wake up. Separate from that, the lack of a restaurant can be an issue for some, but as I mentioned earlier, there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance (and yes, a buffet style breakfast is still included with your stay).
In short, though anyone can find issues nearly anywhere, I have found few if any complaints and only positives about the lovely hotel and staff at The Copperleaf.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2014

The room wasn't clean enough. A lamp didn't work and there were hairs on the floor in the bathroom upon check in. The walls had dirt on them (needed paint). There were flies (the kind I see by a basement drain) in the eating space for the breakfast. We had to move tables to get away from shooing flies INDOORS! This was supposed to feel upscale - cleanliness is a integral part of that! I expect that at a Super 8 for 59$! The spa staff was nice but also had underlying issues of filth. There was a dirty q-tip on the floor and hairs on the floor everywhere. Regardless of how busy you are you need to clean in between spa guests - gross. The room temperature WAS an issue as stated in other reviews and I cannot imagine how this would be to deal with if it were 95 and humid! The parking was not well explained upon reservation and inconvenient and annoying. I feel like this hotel could be nice but if management is going to overlook the basics of hospitality; cleanliness, convenience etc. that this hotel will not be here for long. No matter how "boutique" you are trying to strive for, it means nothing when the things I mentioned above are going on. I will not return to this hotel or recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa S
Deb J, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear Melissa S,

I sincerely apologize for the two housekeeping issues you experienced with your room during your recent stay with us. We do try our best and this is not business as usual as you can see by the majority of our other reviews. It was an isolated oversight and I truly am sorry.

We did temporarily experience some sort of annoying little pest in the restaurant area, and the situation was immediately addressed. It had nothing to do with the cleanliness of the breakfast area, but due in fact to our close proximity to the river.

As the Spa is independently owned and operated, I will certainly share your comments with them. Although not operated by us, they do a wonderful job and any slight cleanliness issue is not business as usual for them as well.

Parking is offered in the adjacent city owned and operated parking garage, just a few feet from the first floor entrance to the hotel. I am sorry that you found it inconvenient.

We do take all guest comments seriously, as we are taking yours. We will use your feedback as a way to improve, so thank you for your comments.

Deb Johnson

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying the Appleton, WI area. It's main competitor is a Radisson right across the street, but I would choose this hotel everytime.

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown, where you can walk to stores and restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel is closed, but there are many other options. The hotel was clean, friendly, and no matter what I needed the staff was helpful and polite. As an inside tidbit, the cast of "Whose Line is it Anyway" was in town the day I was there, and they moved from the Radisson to the Copperleaf....

For example, in their business center, they helped me by copying, faxing, emailing and scanning items. They got me plastic wear for my lunch. I was able to get extra soap for the bath. They gave directions for the bike trails, and were overall friendly and helpful.

Some of the reviews have addressed a new 'green' policy where the heat/cool only turns on when you are in the room. I think this is common for most hotels, and there is a detailed explanation in the room. Even when we entered the room, the temperature was moderate and I was never uncomfortable. Other reviews have addressed a parking situation; the parking is public where you have to pay 2$ to enter and the entrance is about 15 feet from the front of the hotel - very convenient.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the street, and some face the parking garage. For all businesses and hotels...