“We'll Be Back”
Review of CopperLeaf Hotel

CopperLeaf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Hubby and I stayed here 3 nights in a king room, celebrating our anniversary. Really enjoyable. Staff is friendly but not intrusive. Super-clean rooms, well furnished and equipped. Bed comfy, with lots of pillows and a blanket sandwiched cleanly between fresh sheets. Minifridge. Bathroom with jetted tub and Aveda products. Downtown location is good, although many businesses are closed on weekends. No street parking, but there's a ramp next to the hotel for $2 (free on Sundays). Restaurant (Bella Vita) on premises serves great mojitos and whole wheat pasta around a cozy fireplace. The Chocolate Decadence cake was divine, and service excellent. Hotel's free breakfast (not in the restaurant) was bountiful, with several kinds of coffees and teas, fresh melon and some hot selections (oatmeal, scrambled eggs, potatoes, some meat I think -- sorry, not my thing) in addition to the usual cereal, yogurt, toast & pastries. Pancake machine was out of service during our stay, but there was plenty of other good stuff.

Copperleaf is just a few blocks from the history museum, where we learned a ton about Harry Houdini and will soon take in a Leonardo da Vinci traveling Machines in Motion exhibit. Lawrence U campus was lovely and walkable just before fall classes started. Stone Cellar Brewpub is just across the river (vanilla stout -- oooh). Door County is conveniently close; we were so relieved to come back to serene Appleton after a hectic day there.

It was all so low-key and comfortable. Great getaway from Chicago (about 3 hours from the middle of the city, even with some road construction). Friendly people, friendly place, reasonable price. We're already planning a return trip in a few weeks and bringing friends along. So much better than the cookie cutter chain hotels. You can tell they enjoy running this place. It works for us!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Deb J, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the many things the Appleton area has to offer. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback from our guests and we look forward to your return visit. Belated Happy Anniversary and thanks for celebrating with us.
Take care,
Deb Johnson

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Copperleaf while visiting Lawrence University (parents with kids getting ready for college: pay attention to Lawrence!!!) We spent only one night and my daughter wasn't feeling well. The room was extremely comfortable and we ordered room service which brought very prompt and delicious meals. Breakfast in the morning had a nice variety and good coffee. I would agree with a recent reviewer that "boutique hotel" was perhaps not very descriptive. But the Copperleaf is not a "chain" and has a more homey and individual feel than the big name hotels. I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have windows that look directly onto the adjacent sidewalk. That said, the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Virginia54
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I've tried to stay here a few times in my travels through Appleton - finally got a room - Platinum Suite. The hotel is smack in the middle of dowtown - directly across the street from the Radisson. However, unlike the Radisson, this hotel is very well appointed and upkept. The rooms are large with nice flat screens and a good working wireless system throughout the hotel. There's a nice lounge on the first floor and a nice hot breakfast included with your stay.
Parking is convenient if you know where to go. The only inconvenience I had during my stay
was their HVAC system. Apparently they have gone "green" and the AC remains off until you enter the room. Not a big deal unless it's 90 degrees outside and when you walk in to the room it's hot. I called the front desk and they can disable this so, if it's very warm the day you arrive, call early and have them crank up the air for you! With that said - the AC works great and if you want it at 66 - it will get you to 66. Great beds too.

Super friendly staff. I didn't use the SPA but I did enjoy the restaurant which is a seperate review.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was traveling through and had to stay in Appleton for one night. Preferring a downtown location, I found the Copperleaf Hotel, which was a welcome alternative to a chain. My room was very pleasant, clean, and well-appointed. A plus was free wi-fi and a good (free) breakfast in the morning. I walked through the downtown at night, but ended up at the hotel's in-house restaurant. It, too, was very good. Overall, the stay was very enjoyable, and I highly recommend the Copperleaf. Parking isn't free, but is only $2 every time you enter the adjacent ramp. Since I entered only once, it was a bargain.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My stay at the CopperLeaf force me for the first time to question, and Google, what IS a boutique hotel? One defining sentence I liked was “ …properties that are noticeably different in look and feel from branded hotels”. There it is for me, the CopperLeaf is a nice hotel for business travelers, but no different than a hotel for business travelers. More, “..warmth and intimacy are key words in the architecture and design of boutiques hotels”. The lobby furniture is mid-level and the adjacent breakfast bar looks and feels like what you find in lodging next to industrial parks or interchanges. The CopperLeaf branded themselves as boutique. One last quote, “Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy.”

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HelloJoeOne
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. We certainly appreciate your feedback and your individual perspective regarding our hotel.
The Copperleaf is modeled after small, family owned and operated European hotels. We are independently owned and operated and our size allows us the opportunity to offer personalized service and gracious hospitality to our guests. The furnishings and amenities in our 73 guest rooms are more reflective of a gracious residence than a typical hotel guest room, like Italian sheets, down comforters and Aveda guest room amenities to name a few. In addition, we offer room service, a full complimentary breakfast buffet, an on-site Spa, fitness area, full service lobby bar featuring over 75 wines, and our award winning Italian Bella Vita Ristorante. We hope all of these amenities and our personalized service set us apart from the branded hotels.
Thank you again for your comments. Sincerely, Deb Johnson, General Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Fabulous boutique hotel a gem in Appleton compared to staying at a chain hotel across the street or in Kimberly. Nice walking distance to dining, coffee, around town. Great local coffee shop nearby. Great amenities and truly a "rich" experience all the way around and not for "rich" prices. Will be back on business soon to stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our property. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return!

Deb Johnson

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had never stayed at Copperleaf and was very pleasantly surprised. The rooms are spotless, beds are comfortable and the atmosphere is delightful. We had a couple of drinks in the bar and had a marvelous time chatting with the bartender and others staying in the hotel. Plenty of towels, pillows and cozy bedding. Wonderful experience!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family