“Great European style hotel”
Review of CopperLeaf Hotel

CopperLeaf Hotel
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Appleton
Middleton
“Great European style hotel”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This hotel is a gem in downtown Appleton. Rooms are big and well-appointed. Very European small hotel feel. I'd stay here every time I'm in Appleton if they have rooms. Book in advance as they fill up. Wonderful restaurants and entertainment in walking distance. Parking in ramp next to hotel costs $2 -- try that price anywhere else with a great hotel next door.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Carlsonce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
chicago suburbs
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Stayed one Sunday night with wife and kids (ages 10 and 8). I was thoroughly impressed with everything from the professional check-in to the complimentary coffee in the lobby, the complimentary buffet breakfast, the lobby decor, pretty much everything about the hotel. We stayed in one of the suites (Gold?) and it was really well done. Bed was comfortable, tvs were new and nice. Room was modern and clean. Noise from outside was minimal.

Staff was friendly and though the bar was almost empty (Sunday night and all) it seemed like a nice place to have a drink and chat. There is a spa downstairs which offers a large hot tub area for hotel guests (there's no swimming pool). The parking garage next door was very convenient. All in all, though you pay more than some other hotels in the area, the Copperleaf is high quality and would hold its own in a larger city. We did not try the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Oshkosh
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Extremely disapointed in the Copperleaf Hotel. We had a couples package which was almost $300. The hotel does not tell you that the Spa is for the public and not just hotel guests, nor do they tell you to book your Spa visit the same time as you book your stay. Needless to say, the Spa was fully booked so we had nothing to do all weekend but sit in our rooms (snowstorm, freezing temps prevented us from walking around College Ave). Additionally, the hotel requires you to pay $10.95 a channel to watch anything in HD, so the TV that we did watch was poor quality. There are train tracks directly behind the hotel and the train blew it's horn throughout the night. Very annoying and I was woken up several times from the train, in additional to the drunks partying up and down at the bars on College Ave. I could hear the yelling, and the horns from cars, and the train. Very poor acoustics at this hotel. Every time someone in the room next to or above us would turn on their water, it was SO loud, I had to crank up the volume on the TV just to continue to hear it at all. The restaurant - Belle Vita Ristorante - was extremely overpriced, yes it was nice, yes the staff was great, but the food. Sub par. My $30 steak was so tiny I could hardly see it, it was over cooked, and the "roasted" red potatoes were cold and raw. The Copperleaf has a great concept, but I will never go back, and I was extremely disapointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spotgirl17
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
I regret the disappointments you and your partner endured during your recent visit to the CopperLeaf. Please accept my personal apologies. It would be advantageous for me to know if you spoke with any staff or members of management regarding your concerns while at the hotel. We can best address our guests’ disappointments at the time of the incident(s). Since your post is anonymous, I do not know if you gave our team the opportunity to address your concerns. I tried to contact you via the link at the bottom your Trip Advisor review but, as of the writing of this, I have not received a response from you.

I am sorry you felt mislead in learning the Spa is not exclusive to hotel guests. You are correct in identifying the Spa is open to both the public and hotel guests. However, even if the Spa were exclusive to hotel guests, advance appointments for services would still be highly recommended. If you booked your package online, you would not have spoken to any of our guest service representatives. Yet, our website and the electronic booking source both inform our guests that advance reservations for Spa services are required. If you made the Ultimate Indulgence (couples) package reservation directly with a hotel staff member over the phone, our procedure is to take the hotel guest room reservation and then pass the call to the Spa so that Spa services can be reserved. If you make your Ultimate Indulgence package reservation less than a week prior to your arrival date, we will first connect you to the Spa to be sure they are able to accommodate your appointment for a couples massage.

The hotel does not charge $10.95 to watch HD programming. HD programming is provided free via cable boxes in the Platinum and Silver fireplace/whirlpool suites. HD programming is not available in the Copper King and Copper Double rooms and we do not promote that it is. HD programming in “all” of our guestrooms is an upgrade we are working on and hope to have in place by the start of this summer.

You also mentioned train prevented you from sleeping. In the seven years I have managed the CopperLeaf, I can honestly say this is something that is mentioned, at most, a handful of times a year. It may have been that conditions were just right to make this a noticeable disturbance. The tracks are several blocks from the hotel and trains do not travel these tracks on a continual basis. Regarding noise from outside, like any hotel, we are exposed to the possibility of disruption from guests who simply may be disrespectful and become unreasonably loud especially if drinking is involved. If a situation like that develops at our hotel, or any hotel, please inform the front desk so that we can take the effort to get the situation under control.

I hope you were able to have your dining concerns addressed while dining in Bella Vita. If something does not meet a guest’s expectation, this is our most convenient opportunity to make it right. Regarding pricing, I encourage anyone reading this review to view the menu selection and pricing at our Bella Vita Ristorante website. The pasta dishes start at $12 with the majority of other dishes in the $16 - $18 range. There are a handful of more expensive specialty entrees but diners can surely dine on a budget in Bella Vita, if that is the desire.

Thank you for your comments. If you care to contact me directly, I would value more in depth information about your stay. I would also appreciate knowing whether we were given the opportunity to address your concerns.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is the best quality property in the Fox Valley area. The services are not 4 diamond (i.e. no door, parking, luggage attendant, turndown) but it is pleasant and quiet. Suites have nice layout and quality furnishings. Electric fireplace a bit tacky but not out of character.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Thank you for your endorsement. My team and I are pleased to learn you enjoy staying at the CopperLeaf. I respect your comment regarding the electric fireplaces in the suites. This really is the most economical option for a downtown, multi-story building. However, I hope you can agree they add to the ambiance and warmth of the rooms. I hope we have the pleasure of serving you again.
Midwest
Reviewed February 19, 2012

The hotel is very nice. Our room was exceptionally clean, and the staff was quite friendly. My only concern was the location of the first floor rooms being directly across from the meeting/banquet facilities. We turned in early one night for a 6 am commitment the next day, but the banquet rooms are actually about 5 feet from the doors of the first floor rooms (directly across the hall). The banquet room doors were left open, and the very loud people at some type of cocktail party did not seem to realize that there were other guests in the hotel. The party broke up by 10 pm, so for guests not concerned about evening noise this would not have been a problem. The set up is just odd, and I would be concerned about late night events if I were placed in a first floor room and needed to be asleep by 10 pm (or if traveling with young children). These rooms are very convenient to the breakfast area though. When we asked to change rooms, there were none with our bed type available. In addition, the sidewalk is only a few feet from the first floor bedroom windows. The windows appear to be darkened so no one can see in, but there were very loud people enjoying their weekend evening right outside of our window for a good number of hours during our stay. The parking garage is not "manned" and was a bit dark but still safe. Park as close as possible to the entrance, as you need to walk through the parking garage and down the street in order to get from parking to the hotel. There is no walkway or skywalk, but there is short term street parking available across from the hotel's entrance for those who would like to drop off luggage and/or traveling companions. The breakfast food was hot and plentiful. Check in and out was easy. Beds were comfortable. Counter space was good. Aveda products were a nice touch. Heat was quiet, unlike some other hotels. Location is good.

Room Tip: Request a room on floor 2 or higher
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Luve2Travel35
dans1, General Manager at CopperLeaf Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your feedback and recognition of the hotel being clean and the staff being friendly.

You are correct in identifying the fact of a small meeting /banquet room being located directly across from the guest room you stayed in. The CopperLeaf has only five two-bedded rooms on the first floor located directly across from this meeting room. The balance of the guest rooms are on the upper floors of the hotel. I am cognizant to the fact that events in these rooms have the potential of bringing some negligible noise. For this reason, events booked in this room are not allowed to go past 10 p.m. In addition, events in this room are not allowed to have live music or DJ service, only music from our in-house system. I regret that someone did not have the foresight to close the doors to the meeting room as this surely would have helped to dampen any extraneous noise. I am pleased to learn that the event ended by 10 p.m., as we expected.

With regard to people outside you hotel room on the sidewalk, I would simply ask that you or any guest simply inform the guest service representative at the front desk. We will take it upon ourselves to kindly have the guests move on to a different area that will not be disruptive to our guests.

Thank you again for your comments.
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Great hotel! We stayed here for only one night on a Friday while on the town in Appleton. What a great surprise. I expected it to be average at best, but it really is great. They have Aveda products for the bath amenities in the rooms, I love Aveda. All the rooms have fully stocked mini-bars and surprisingly they aren't TOO expensive. The decor is nice and comforting to the eyes. Very clean and spacious. The only negative thing I can think of is that the beds are kind of hard, but other than that I would definitely come back again. We got a great deal at only $120 per night, however I think during normal season it is usually about $160 for the room we got (Copper Room).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review about your stay. I was very pleased to learn the CopperLeaf exceeded your expectations. We hear very much about our Aveda products and I am glad to see they remain a perceived value. We intentionally keep the costs of mini-bar items at a reasonable price point as we want this to be a high value amenity as well.

I was sorry that the beds seemed too firm for your pleasure. We actually receive many accolades about our beds with many guests asking for manufacturer information so that they can purchase one of the same make from a retail outlet. However, I understand that everyone has different tastes when it comes to such a personal item. Thank you for staying with us and we truly hope we have the opportunity to serve you again.
Grand Forks, ND
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed at the Copperleaf Jan 25-27,2012. The room was clean and spacious (Silver Whirlpool Suite). All of the staff encountered were very friendly. I appreciated the shuttle service and used it each day of my stay. I had a delicious Italian meal in the hotel restaurant and the morning breakfast was more than the standard offerings at other hotels. Wish I would have had time to explore the area. It looks like there were some nice shops and restaurants within walking distance. I would highly recommended the Copperleaf and stay again!

• Stayed January 2012
I appreciate your kind words about your visit to the CopperLeaf. My team works hard to be sure our guests are treated in a welcoming and gracious manner throughout their visit and that our accommodations and public facilities are clean and inviting. It was a pleasure to learn you enjoyed your meal in our new Italian restaurant, Bella Vita. We opened Bella Vita as a new restaurant back in April of 2011 and it has been a huge success.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit again and explore our downtown. There is so much to see and all within walking distance of the Copperleaf. Consider some of the following attractions on your next visit: The Fox Cities Performing Arts Center, The Trout Museum of Art, Avenue Art, Coventry Glassworks & Gallery, The History Museum at the Castle, The Building for Kids (children’s museum) and, on Saturday’s, the ever popular farmer’s market held year-round. In addition, there are many fine shops and boutiques including one of our guests’ favorites, the Angels Forever – Windows of Light just two storefronts from the hotel. We look forward to your next visit!