“Very nice hotel!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our first time at this particular Country Inn & Suites & we were very pleased! The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, the bathroom was clean. We had enough towels and supplies left for us each day. Nice pool (great temperature) and hot tub. The breakfast was great and significantly better than most continental breakfasts, with a variety of hot and cold foods. We would definitely stay here again without a doubt. When you can walk into a room and not have that musty smell and it is clean, that is HUGE for us - especially the bathroom! Overall, great experience. It is close (within walking distance) to many restaurants, the mall, etc. Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for taking the time to complete a review for our hotel we really appreciate the feedback. Hopefully we will see you again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We always try to stay at a Country Inn or other Carlson property. We have found the Country Inn to be a great value for the price. The kids like the pool and the staff was excellent. Michelle at the front desk called us 20 minutes after we checked in to make sure everything was OK. Breakfast was excellent. Located close to food and shopping.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jkalpha
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful, hopefully we will see you again when you are in our area.

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My father and I checked in after a loooong drive from alexandria, MN. My dad is platinum or some sort of high tier with the Carlson chain. He had reserved 1 room with 2 queen beds, non smoking, non handicap. We arrived around 9:30pm on thursday,July 25th. The young lady at the reception informed us we were "upgraded" to a king suite with a queen pull out sofa. I very politely informed her that I would prefer not to sleep on a pull out.
I think the hotel needs to definitely re examine what it means to be upgraded. A pull out is most definitely not an upgrade. I think most would agree that a regular room with 2 beds will always trump 1 bed and 1 pullout in a suite.
The receptionist then said that the computer does the upgrade. Then she said she could give us an accessible room with 2 queens. My dad has an aversion to accessible rooms, and told her that he had specifically reserved a non handicap room. Now the lady was visibly irritated. Her face said it all. Pursed lips, no eye contact, red face, no smile to be found. I honestly don't know why she was upset.
She kept repeating "that's fine. That's fine. Ok that's fine"
Then she said "that's fine (again). I will just move another customer out of a non handicap room with 2 queens"
I felt that in this situation, she made a simple problem complicated. As soon as we said we would prefer to stay in the room we had reserved and had been confirmed as reserved, I believe that she should have quietly seen if it was possible. She made us feel as if we were taking a room away from someone else.
I think the receptionist should perhaps be reminded that a simple "I'm sorry, I understand a pull out is not comfortable and the computer generated upgrade may not work for you. Let me see what I can do" could have sufficed.
Clearly the room was reserved and available. Why the going around in circles for no reason.
It's amazing how a bad start can literally dampen a person's view of a stay. I am also in an industry requiring customer service and I am reminded of the importance I superior service to retain loyalty.
The room was clean and sufficient. The TVs could be updated. Even the much older country inn in alexandria, mn had flat screens.
Breakfast crew was friendly and food was plentiful.
Overall a decent stay.
Maybe just need to work on first impressions.

• Stayed: July 2013

I am very sorry your stay was not as it should have been, I appreciate the feedback and I will use it to do some service training. I would love to discuss this with you further and try and make it right with you, please feel free to contact me at the hotel, at 920.830.3240.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have stayed at this location of Country Inn and Suites in Appleton multiple times, and am always pleased. The hotel is clean, and the service is friendly. The pool area is well-maintained, and the temperature of the pool is actually warm enough to swim, unlike some other hotels that call themselves heated, but are freezing. The breakfast offers good choices, and the breakfast staff keeps things cleans and well-stocked. Very friendly in the morning. This will continue to be the hotel of choice for me, and I will continue to recommend this fine location as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy C
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for the great review, we appreciate your comments and I will make sure and share it with our staff! We look forward to seeing you again when you are in our area.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

As I've mentioned in other reviews, we look for a hotel that is newer, has a breakfast and a decent price. We're not looking for luxury. This hotel met two of our three criteria. Pros: Good breakfast incl cold cereals, hot oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, waffle maker, a couple hot choices, bagels, breads, etc. They also have coffee and tea available 24 hrs + apples + cookies. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. The room was average size and included a small refrig and a microwave. CONS: The hotel is dated. I don't believe it's been updated since it was built which I would guess has been 10-15+ yrs. You especially notice this in the bathroom. There are permanent stains & rips on the wall paper & the grout on the floor appears to be permanently stained. Everything appeared to be clean - just permanent stains and wear from age. For the price, it met our needs. I'd like to give it a 3.5 star but couldn't give it a 4 because it really could use a facelift. Again, though, people were nice, breakfast was good, everything appeared clean. Also, they had an inside pool but we didn't use it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete a review, we are working on some upgrades for the near future, so hopefully you will come back and try us again when you are in the area!

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is excellent. It's cheap, very clean, and the staff is awsome!!! The front desk workers were very nice!! The breakfast worker was the best!! She was very helpful and was funny! She seemed like she wanted to be there!!! Also the breakfast was free and way above average!! This hotel is the place to go!!! All you need to know.. Don't believe bad reviews.. This place is nice clean and fun to be at!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Hotels1005

Thank you so much for the review, we appreciate your comments and I will make sure and share them with our staff. Hopefully we will see you again when you come back to our area!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am very pleased with this hotel. Everything in the lobby was clean and shiny. The room was immaculate. The pool was very clean with "window-walls that overlook a nicely wooded lot. I will return anytime I'm in the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ToolCaddy

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, we appreciate it! Hopefully we will see you again when you come to the area!