“Average. Bad start can taint a traveler's overall impression!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
NJ
“Average. Bad start can taint a traveler's overall impression!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My father and I checked in after a loooong drive from alexandria, MN. My dad is platinum or some sort of high tier with the Carlson chain. He had reserved 1 room with 2 queen beds, non smoking, non handicap. We arrived around 9:30pm on thursday,July 25th. The young lady at the reception informed us we were "upgraded" to a king suite with a queen pull out sofa. I very politely informed her that I would prefer not to sleep on a pull out.
I think the hotel needs to definitely re examine what it means to be upgraded. A pull out is most definitely not an upgrade. I think most would agree that a regular room with 2 beds will always trump 1 bed and 1 pullout in a suite.
The receptionist then said that the computer does the upgrade. Then she said she could give us an accessible room with 2 queens. My dad has an aversion to accessible rooms, and told her that he had specifically reserved a non handicap room. Now the lady was visibly irritated. Her face said it all. Pursed lips, no eye contact, red face, no smile to be found. I honestly don't know why she was upset.
She kept repeating "that's fine. That's fine. Ok that's fine"
Then she said "that's fine (again). I will just move another customer out of a non handicap room with 2 queens"
I felt that in this situation, she made a simple problem complicated. As soon as we said we would prefer to stay in the room we had reserved and had been confirmed as reserved, I believe that she should have quietly seen if it was possible. She made us feel as if we were taking a room away from someone else.
I think the receptionist should perhaps be reminded that a simple "I'm sorry, I understand a pull out is not comfortable and the computer generated upgrade may not work for you. Let me see what I can do" could have sufficed.
Clearly the room was reserved and available. Why the going around in circles for no reason.
It's amazing how a bad start can literally dampen a person's view of a stay. I am also in an industry requiring customer service and I am reminded of the importance I superior service to retain loyalty.
The room was clean and sufficient. The TVs could be updated. Even the much older country inn in alexandria, mn had flat screens.
Breakfast crew was friendly and food was plentiful.
Overall a decent stay.
Maybe just need to work on first impressions.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
I am very sorry your stay was not as it should have been, I appreciate the feedback and I will use it to do some service training. I would love to discuss this with you further and try and make it right with you, please feel free to contact me at the hotel, at 920.830.3240.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have stayed at this location of Country Inn and Suites in Appleton multiple times, and am always pleased. The hotel is clean, and the service is friendly. The pool area is well-maintained, and the temperature of the pool is actually warm enough to swim, unlike some other hotels that call themselves heated, but are freezing. The breakfast offers good choices, and the breakfast staff keeps things cleans and well-stocked. Very friendly in the morning. This will continue to be the hotel of choice for me, and I will continue to recommend this fine location as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judy C
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for the great review, we appreciate your comments and I will make sure and share it with our staff! We look forward to seeing you again when you are in our area.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

As I've mentioned in other reviews, we look for a hotel that is newer, has a breakfast and a decent price. We're not looking for luxury. This hotel met two of our three criteria. Pros: Good breakfast incl cold cereals, hot oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, waffle maker, a couple hot choices, bagels, breads, etc. They also have coffee and tea available 24 hrs + apples + cookies. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. The room was average size and included a small refrig and a microwave. CONS: The hotel is dated. I don't believe it's been updated since it was built which I would guess has been 10-15+ yrs. You especially notice this in the bathroom. There are permanent stains & rips on the wall paper & the grout on the floor appears to be permanently stained. Everything appeared to be clean - just permanent stains and wear from age. For the price, it met our needs. I'd like to give it a 3.5 star but couldn't give it a 4 because it really could use a facelift. Again, though, people were nice, breakfast was good, everything appeared clean. Also, they had an inside pool but we didn't use it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to complete a review, we are working on some upgrades for the near future, so hopefully you will come back and try us again when you are in the area!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is excellent. It's cheap, very clean, and the staff is awsome!!! The front desk workers were very nice!! The breakfast worker was the best!! She was very helpful and was funny! She seemed like she wanted to be there!!! Also the breakfast was free and way above average!! This hotel is the place to go!!! All you need to know.. Don't believe bad reviews.. This place is nice clean and fun to be at!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Hotels1005
Thank you so much for the review, we appreciate your comments and I will make sure and share them with our staff. Hopefully we will see you again when you come back to our area!
Greenville, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I am very pleased with this hotel. Everything in the lobby was clean and shiny. The room was immaculate. The pool was very clean with "window-walls that overlook a nicely wooded lot. I will return anytime I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ToolCaddy
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review, we appreciate it! Hopefully we will see you again when you come to the area!
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed briefly for two nights. This is located very close by to the Fox River Mall and only 5 minutes drive from Appleton airport. It has access to all the nearby shops in the Mall and many restaurants at walkable distance of 10 to 15 minutes duration. The room was very good and clean. They do provide free airport drops while check out and complimentary breakfast buffet. While trying to access the treadmill in their "fitness room" I was told it was not working. But the front desk person informed me about jogging trail very close by to the hotel. The joggers trail was a short trail that goes around the nearby creek and within the city. It was nice way to start the day by going for fresh morning air and jog. The TV set was pretty old and did not encourage watching the tube. The room rents were reasonable. Overall a nice place for a quite halt and go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ZakhirSidickk
mrspaco, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you so much for the review, we appreciate your feedback! Hopefully we will see you next time you are in our area.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place is great. The staff are fantastic. They have cookies and apples, coffee, tea, and cocoa available for free in the lobby at all times. The rooms were great - they have a microwave, mini-fridge, iron and board, hair dryer, desk, etc. The toiletries were pantene for hair and vaseline for lotion. I was traveling on business and the amenities were perfect since Appleton is tiny and doesn't offer much. I could walk to a gas station and get drinks/snacks, etc. and use the fridge/microwave. They have a free breakfast - it was not fantastic, but I think would serve the basic job for everyone except vegetarians (but then again Appleton is not vegetarian friendly anyway) - powder eggs, pre-made uniform omelettes, bacon, sausage, cow milk, juice, etc.

On my first night, I got no sleep because I had crazy drunk people beneath my room shouting, screaming, hitting the walls, throwing things at the roof, running up and down the hall, slamming doors, etc. I called the front desk and got Kim and she went to look for them on the 3rd floor but couldn't find them. I told her to just come listen in my room and she figured out they were actually beneath me and got them to stop their foolishness immediately. Kim is my hero.
The staff was top shelf and really tried to offer the best stay possible. I forgot a razor and they supplied one and shaving cream, just really nice people.
I joined their club, I will totally stay at a country inn again when I'm on a road trip and have to make a decision for a quick night stay.

Room Tip: Get a third floor room - less noise since the rooms aren't very soundproofed.