“This place is great - Gold Star for Effort”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place is great. The staff are fantastic. They have cookies and apples, coffee, tea, and cocoa available for free in the lobby at all times. The rooms were great - they have a microwave, mini-fridge, iron and board, hair dryer, desk, etc. The toiletries were pantene for hair and vaseline for lotion. I was traveling on business and the amenities were perfect since Appleton is tiny and doesn't offer much. I could walk to a gas station and get drinks/snacks, etc. and use the fridge/microwave. They have a free breakfast - it was not fantastic, but I think would serve the basic job for everyone except vegetarians (but then again Appleton is not vegetarian friendly anyway) - powder eggs, pre-made uniform omelettes, bacon, sausage, cow milk, juice, etc.

On my first night, I got no sleep because I had crazy drunk people beneath my room shouting, screaming, hitting the walls, throwing things at the roof, running up and down the hall, slamming doors, etc. I called the front desk and got Kim and she went to look for them on the 3rd floor but couldn't find them. I told her to just come listen in my room and she figured out they were actually beneath me and got them to stop their foolishness immediately. Kim is my hero.
The staff was top shelf and really tried to offer the best stay possible. I forgot a razor and they supplied one and shaving cream, just really nice people.
I joined their club, I will totally stay at a country inn again when I'm on a road trip and have to make a decision for a quick night stay.

Room Tip: Get a third floor room - less noise since the rooms aren't very soundproofed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rugertemptress
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. You have a great point, our breakfast could use some other options! Thank you for the suggestion and hope we will see you again when you are in the area.

Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Love this place. Second time here on business. It is so nice to have a comfortable place to stay and a friendly staff to greet me. Breakfast here is awesome! Waffle maker in the dining room. Hot tub at night. Great stay.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Jonathan B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, we appreciate your opinion and hope that next time you are in the area we will see you again!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I recently strayed at the hotel and found the front desk staff to be professional and friendly. The free breakfast and coffee were both delicious. The room was clean and quite lovely. The only drawbacks was that the toilet flusher in Room 303 would get stuck every single time I used it. I would manually have to bring the levor back to its original posiltion. Also, there was no hand sanitizer by the computer area in the lobby. I was told that it is wiped down only once a day in the morning. So what happens to guests who use it throughout the day? A hand sanitizer by the computer for guest use would be appreciated as so many other hotels around the country are offering it to prevent germs.

Room Tip: stay away from 303 unless you don't have plans to use the toilet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank barbara860
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you so much for the review and the GREAT suggestion about the hand sanitizer! Hopefully we will see you again when your travels bring you back to Appleton.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Have been coming here for more than 10 years. It is in a good location tucked near a highway but you do not hear any highway noise. Nice & clean but it is beginning to have a few frayed edges. Carpets probably need to be replaced and some just general remodeling. Nevertheless, the staff is always friendly and helpful. Breakfast area is a little cramped but on busy weekends they can open an ajoining room. Coffee & hot water always available. Rooms and bathrooms are clean, but again could use a little spiffing up. No longer have a gym room at the hotel but you can use a fitness center nearby for free.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
mrspaco, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

I would like to thank you for your review and your loyalty! We are working with ownership on some improvements, stay tuned for updates!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Recently stayed at the Country Inn & Suites n Appleton on a girl's week-end. Great staff and our room was clean and comfortable. Only complaint I had was the noise - too many kids running the halls till 2am (this is not the hotels fault) I would stay again when I get to Appleton again for sure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
mrspaco, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! We really apreciate your review!

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Beds are horrible at this hotel. The beds were so worn out that we sunk into them and had back aches all weekend! Not only that , but there was no hot water! If we were lucky, we were able to take a luke warm shower for about 5 minutes. T.V.'s are old box ones that come in very fuzzy at best!

The only good thing about it was the front desk service. They allowed us to switch rooms and gave us both nights at half price. Other than that, the stay was BAD!

Will never ever again stay at this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan R
mrspaco, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

I am very sorry that you did not have a good stay, we are working to make improvements so your next stay will be exceptional! Thank you for taking the time to give us a review.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

hot water problems staff just blew it off.It was clean but would neve stay again.kids running all over no supervison and the staff let that go to .we had to park in a snow bank just a total nitemare
from check to check out.the manger is nice she did give us a full refund so you figure out the rest

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nanner17
mrspaco, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

I am very sorry your stay was not up to your expectations, hopefully you will use the complimentray stay in a whirlpool suite that we gave you at check out to try us again.