“Nice stay, great location”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Madison, Wisconsin
“Nice stay, great location”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Good hotel, ideal location for getting around Appleton and shopping.Pool was out of order when we were there, but things happen. (we would not have used it anyway.) Spacious room, comfy enough. Nothing extravagant. I got a discount on rate using points, but would not pay more than $80 or $90 for the room. Basically an average hotel with a great location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kari K
CIS-Appleton, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I'm glad you found the room to be comfy. We do apologize for the inconvenience of the pool being closed and are working to get it up and running soon.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Erica Waller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We had a lovely stay at the hotel on Christmas and a few days afterward. We found everything to be clean and attractive. No weird smells anywhere. Spacious room and most importantly: cookies at the front desk!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DC-drivin
CIS-Appleton, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about our clean property and spacious rooms. I'm glad you found the hotel to be a comfortable place to stay over the holidays.

wisconsin
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I got this hotel through Hotwire for $106. I think the normal price through the hotel was about $160. I would expect a pretty decent hotel for that price. This hotel was terrible. We only really needed a place to sleep for this trip, so we didn't use any of the amenities, but we did walk around to check them out.

The pool was closed because there was feces in it. I understand this can happen with little kids, but given the condition of this hotel, I wouldn't assume it was fresh.

The elevators up to our room were disgusting. Old and very dated, which is fine with me, but when you have an elevator made of old cheesy brass and glass, at least make sure it's clean because every fingerprint shows up. It looked as if it had never been cleaned.

The room again, very dated. The sink was so cracked I actually checked underneath it to see if it was leaking. We were on the 3rd floor and it took about 15-20 minutes of running the water for the hot water to get there. The coffee pot did not work. And worst of all, the terrible smell of cheap perfume was so overwhelming that it made it hard to sleep and had a terrible headache by the time we left. I was looking for an air freshener unit so I could turn it off, but didn't see anything, so I'm not sure if it's a spray or what, but it was just terrible!

The beds and pillows were comfy. That was the only good thing. I've stayed in Motel 6's that were in nicer condition that this hotel. And I'm surprised because it was lovely from the outside! I would not stay in this hotel again even at no cost simply because of the cheap perfume smell.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank westonsmom
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about our comfy beds and nice curb appeal. I also noticed your comments about the condition of the property and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of it. I will talk with my housekeeping staff about the dirty elevator and the perfume smell in the rooms.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business.

Wayzata, Minnesota
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Traveling in the area to do events around the area. This is a great place to stay. The staff is always helpful and the room service doesnt ever have to be told what needs to be done. With service being the golden key, this place has it. So if you want to get away or just on the road needing a good rest. Come on down and stay awhile at Country Inn and Suites.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about our helpful staff. I will be sure to share your comments with everyone.

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn over Thanksgiving and again over New Years Eve, purely for convenience of location.

Both times, our room was not cleaned nor towels replaced on the holiday, yet we paid full price. Our room rate was $177/night, so NOT worth the price. At most, this hotel is worth $65/night.

Next to the bed, there was residue of something that had been splashed on the wall, but never wiped off (dried grape juice? Room 347). On the carpet next to the bed was a red grape and coffee beans that had not been vacuumed up before we checked into our room. I don't think housekeeping vacuums under the curtains or between the nightstand and wall.

Both visits, the hallways and rooms had an overpowering smell of carpet deodorizer. Would rather the room actually "be" clean rather than mask odors with a fragrance.

Cheap carpet, furniture, bed.

On the plus side: nice lobby, acceptable breakfast, fresh baked cookies, good location, friendly receptionist, good TV's, convenient mini-fridge.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cjnich
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I noticed your comments about the lack of attention to detail by housekeeping. I understand your frustration and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. I will address theses issues with our housekeeping staff to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Nice&clean spacefull rooms,the breakfeast offers a little bit more then in a chain hotel or motel.
Nice pool area. You are located at the parking area of a big shopping mall and near the airport.
This could be a plus or a minus. I had a bad experience cause I arrived late at the airport with the shuttle service(a cab compagnie) and had to phone several times to get me to the hotel.For me I liked the service in the hotel but over all its not worth the price and location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Tommella
CIS-Appleton, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about our facility's cleanliness and our tasty breakfast. I'm glad you found the hotel to be comfortable during your stay. Also, I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while getting a cab at the airport.

Iowa
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I just spent one night here on the way to the Upper Peninsula. It's right off the Interstate and adjacent to a large mall, yet we were not bothered by noise at all. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient - we had two connecting rooms which was just perfect. Each room had a refrigerator and microwave; the bathrooms were clean and fully functional. We did not use the pool or exercise area but they looked to be in good condition. We had to leave before the "official" 6 AM opening time for breakfast but they kindly allowed us to have any of the items that were ready - cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries, toast, bagels, juices were available at that hour; they were still setting up when we left but I saw a waffle maker at least. Very nice place- I would definitely stay again if I am passing through the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank fotobug
We appreciate you taking the time to share your story about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about the friendly front desk staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them. I'm glad to see you were able to get a little breakfast on your way out even though it wasn't fully ready.