“Good location, but not worth the price due to poor housekeeping”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Appleton
San Francisco, CA
“Good location, but not worth the price due to poor housekeeping”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn over Thanksgiving and again over New Years Eve, purely for convenience of location.

Both times, our room was not cleaned nor towels replaced on the holiday, yet we paid full price. Our room rate was $177/night, so NOT worth the price. At most, this hotel is worth $65/night.

Next to the bed, there was residue of something that had been splashed on the wall, but never wiped off (dried grape juice? Room 347). On the carpet next to the bed was a red grape and coffee beans that had not been vacuumed up before we checked into our room. I don't think housekeeping vacuums under the curtains or between the nightstand and wall.

Both visits, the hallways and rooms had an overpowering smell of carpet deodorizer. Would rather the room actually "be" clean rather than mask odors with a fragrance.

Cheap carpet, furniture, bed.

On the plus side: nice lobby, acceptable breakfast, fresh baked cookies, good location, friendly receptionist, good TV's, convenient mini-fridge.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cjnich
CIS-Appleton, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I noticed your comments about the lack of attention to detail by housekeeping. I understand your frustration and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. I will address theses issues with our housekeeping staff to ensure it doesn't happen again.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Erica Waller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

Nice&clean spacefull rooms,the breakfeast offers a little bit more then in a chain hotel or motel.
Nice pool area. You are located at the parking area of a big shopping mall and near the airport.
This could be a plus or a minus. I had a bad experience cause I arrived late at the airport with the shuttle service(a cab compagnie) and had to phone several times to get me to the hotel.For me I liked the service in the hotel but over all its not worth the price and location.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Tommella
CIS-Appleton, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about our facility's cleanliness and our tasty breakfast. I'm glad you found the hotel to be comfortable during your stay. Also, I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while getting a cab at the airport.

Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

I just spent one night here on the way to the Upper Peninsula. It's right off the Interstate and adjacent to a large mall, yet we were not bothered by noise at all. The front desk staff was friendly and efficient - we had two connecting rooms which was just perfect. Each room had a refrigerator and microwave; the bathrooms were clean and fully functional. We did not use the pool or exercise area but they looked to be in good condition. We had to leave before the "official" 6 AM opening time for breakfast but they kindly allowed us to have any of the items that were ready - cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries, toast, bagels, juices were available at that hour; they were still setting up when we left but I saw a waffle maker at least. Very nice place- I would definitely stay again if I am passing through the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank fotobug
We appreciate you taking the time to share your story about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about the friendly front desk staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them. I'm glad to see you were able to get a little breakfast on your way out even though it wasn't fully ready.

Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel a few times. The rooms are showing some wear, but are quite lserviceable. The staff at the front desk were very helpful and pleasant. The hotel is located on the edge of a nice shopping mall. We booked our room through a discount website and felt the room was well worth the price we paid.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
CIS-Appleton, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about the helpful staff members and our great location near the Fox River Mall. I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of the staff.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

Our stay at this hotel has set the standard by which we judge other comfort Inn & suites. We arrived hours before regular check in and they were able to accommodate us with no fuss. The room we were in was immaculate and welcoming. The staff helpful but not intrusive. Being able to check in early allowed us to get some much needed sleep and showers before meeting with family that afternoon.

• Stayed September 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. I'm glad you found our front desk staff to be helpful. I will be sure to share your comments with them. Also, thank you for your comments about the cleanliness of our rooms. My housekeeping staff will be thrilled to hear they are making an impression on our guests.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

we spent two nights and were very pleased by the friendliness of the staff. We particularly enjoyed the cookies at snack time, and the well stacked free library (you can take your book home if you are not finished reading it). The room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. I just would like more interesting options for breakfast (which is free), and everything would be perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
CIS-Appleton, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Appleton, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for your comments about our friendly staff members. I will be sure to share your comments with everyone. I'm glad to see you enjoyed our cookies and the Read It & Return library books. Hopefully you found a couple you liked! I also noticed your comment about having more interesting options at breakfast and we will do our best to exceed your expectations next time.

Milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I recently stayed at the Country Inn and Suites over the weekend. We were in town visiting family and after a tiring drive up, when my boyfriend and I walked into our room we couldn't believe it. It was such a spacious room, it literally felt like we were in an exclusive suite but without paying the heavy fee for it. The pool was 24 hrs which was awesome, and the continental breakfast was a very pleasant surprise from other hotels. I would definitely go back there in a heartbeat! It would make for a great mini getaway since I just live in Milwaukee. Staff was extremely friendly as well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our spacious rooms and 24-hr indoor pool area. I'm glad you were able to enjoy our newly enhanced breakfast.

On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inns & Suites we would like to thank you for your business and we hope to see you again on your next mini vacation!