“Check the cleaniness...Check out the lack of caring!”

Hampton Inn Appleton-Fox River Mall Area
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just completed an almost 2 week stay (fly home for the weekend) and returned back later in the eveniong last Monday. It was about 10 when I checked in and then I had work to do so I was up working until about 1am. I was so tired I figured I would climb into bed and finish up for about 30 minutes. As soon as I climbed into the bed, it felt cold (figuring just the A/C in the room), after about 30 seconds I realized I felt "funny" where I was lying. So I got up..when I looked at my shorts, they were wet...WET!!! So I immediately picked up the phone and called the front desk, the lady who answered asked how she could help and I said..."I need a different room, I just pulled the covers back to lie down for the night and the bed is wet", she said "oh..ok..I can move you to room 401". I said ok and said I'd be down. I have stayed loyal to Hilton (although this one definately has me thinking differently). I went downstairs and told the lady I had just called about switching rooms and her response...her response was..."OK". I thought to myself WHAT?? I had unpacked all my things and hung and placed in drawers etc, so I tried to give her another chance by saying, I grabbed the cart to move everything...and whe said.."Oh..ok..that's not a problem" >>>>>>>WHAT??? Yes, yes it IS a problem!!!
This was after 1am and I was to be up at 5:30/6:00am and now I have to be inconvienced because someone else didn't do their job and this lady at the desk doesn't care? So I moved all my things and just kept thinking that maybe I'd get a call to ensure all was ok with the new room...I waited..I waited Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday and nothing. So I took the info on the welcome printout in the room and figured I'd write...tripadvisor just happens to have come first while researching where to stay on my current trip.
I honestly don't know how you can put a stickie note on the headboard saying everything has been cleaned for you..our new guest....and then have a wet bed..it still amazes me! I travel often, at least 3 weeks of the month most of the time and this is the first time that I have had anything like this happen and anyone care so little! Except a Radisson in Des Moines, IA back in 2003...and I till this day will not stay in a Radisson for business OR pleasure. It may be the same with Hilton properties...I'll see after this trip!

Room Tip: Just choose a good one and inspect EVERYTHING to make sure it's clean! I wouldn't drink or...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Poke924
rkliment, General Manager at Hampton Inn Appleton-Fox River Mall Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Hello Poke924 – My name is Randy Kliment and I am the General Manager of the Hampton Inn in Appleton, WI. I want to apologize to you on behalf of our team for the issues you experienced with your stay here last week. That is very unlike my staff and I am extremely disappointed to hear what happened to you. The wet bed and then the indifferent service you received are not what anyone would expect, especially from a Hampton and Hilton brand hotel, and I want to apologize as this is not typical for our hotel. I am very sorry that you had to deal with this experience, and I will be addressing the situation on my end to ensure it does not happen again.

I would appreciate knowing more specifics about your stay. If you would be willing to talk further, please e-mail your phone number to me at rkliment@ncghotels.com or call me at 920-954-9211. Thanks for sharing feedback from your stay and I sincerely apologize again for the issues you had.

Randy Kliment
Hampton Inn – Appleton, WI

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We are new Lawrence University parents and stayed here via a recommendation from the athletic department. Couldn't have been more pleased. Rooms are exceptionally clean. Even though booked with weddings for the weekend the hotel was quiet, clean, and had plenty of food for breakfast (which was excellent). When I booked the hotel online I did not specify the Lawrence University rate - at checkout the young lady at the desk happily changed our rate. We will visit Appleton many times over the next four years and will most definitely stay at the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Hello GP_m0m - Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel! I'm excited to hear that you were referred from Lawrence University, as we have a great relationship with them. I'm glad you enjoyed the hotel and we look forward to having you stay with us over the next 4 years during your visits to Lawrence! Thanks!

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I travel to Appleton 1-3 times a year and stay 2-5 nights each time - ALWAYS at this hotel. Most friendly, helpful staff of any hotel I've ever stayed in, comfortable beds and pillows, cleanest rooms ever, seriously blackout shades, and free wifi make it a very easy decision.

Each staff person (from the GM to the cleaning crew) are pleasant, helpful, and take great care of their guests. The beds and pillows are the best of any hotel I've EVER stayed in, which along with room-darkening shades means I actually get a good night's sleep here. Extremely clean rooms (nice rubber ducky in the bathroom, too!), Desks, office chairs and free wifi that actually works. I've stayed on the ground floor and the top floor - quiet no matter where.

Breakfast is fresh, the area is well maintained, and foods for a gluten-free diet (hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, yogurt) available. There is always coffee and hot water for tea in the lobby, and fresh cookies are put out late afternoon till late evening. Breakfasts to-go are by the front desk if you have to run.

Thank you, Hampton Inn! Y'all are AWESOME!!

Room Tip: If you are very sensitive to noise levels, then request a room on the west side so you don't hea...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Hello Jessa - Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, everything from the room, the staff, and the breakfast! Thanks for mentioning gluten-free items, as this is something we are always looking to improve! Thanks for choosing us again and we look forward to you staying with us again the next time "y'all" are back in Appleton! Thanks!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Hampton Inn rooms seem to always be a great design for comfort. Our room was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff made us feel welcome. The hotel is a short walk to the Machine Shed. A plus to our stay was the price was better than other hotels in the area.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom S

Hello Scaltoid - Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel! I am glad that you found everything so enjoyable. I appreciate the feedback and hope you'll choose us again the next time you are in Appleton! Thanks!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The staff were extremely friendly and you could tell that they took pride in doing their job. The room was one of the cleanest rooms that I have ever stayed in. It was white glove clean. The breakfast had an assortment of cereals, yogurts, muffins and waffles. The eggs were nothing to write home about. I think they use powered eggs and they always come out dry. The bed was extremely comfortable except for the pillows which tended to flatten out and get hard. Other then the eggs and pillows it was a very nice stay. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda G

Hello Linda - Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel! I appreciate the feedback about the high quality of cleanliness in the rooms. That is what we aim for, and I will be sure to pass this along. Thank you for the feedback on the pillows and eggs as well. I hope you'll give us another try the next time your travels bring you to Appleton! Thanks!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

The staff at the Hampton Inn Appleton went above and beyond our expectations!! We stayed at this hotel for a youth baseball tournament in July 2012. They allowed us to use the continental breakfast area for both nights we were there so that we could do potluck dinners for our team. The front desk staff were always helpful and kind and made our visit an awesome experience!! It was a very clean and comfortable hotel with an amazing continental breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Hello Nancy - Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review about our hotel! I am glad to hear you found our hotel so accommodating while you were here for the baseball tournament. We really appreciate the feedback, and we hope your team will stay with us again if they return next year! Thanks!

Reviewed July 16, 2012

There is not a lot of range between Hampton Inns, so it hard for one to distinguish itself. This one does a lot of things well. There are always plenty of cookies at the front desk in the afternoons. At more Hamptons than would like to admit it, cookies are out for only an hour or so. That to me, is the first signal of a skimpy, penny-pinching Hampton.

Not here--the cookies are put out early, in several varieties, and are there until late.A good sign everything else will be as it should be.

The little rubber duck decorating the towels in the bathroom is a nice touch you don't typically see. The room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was well done. The pool and whirlpool were clean and well maintained, and it was nice to see they had both.

I found not just a bottle of water awaiting me in my room, but a bag of snacks as well. These are things that exceed the Hampton standard.

There are only two things that prevent this Hampton from getting 5 stars. On the east side of the building, where I was, there was a lot of traffic noise from the interstate. I would recommend getting a room on the west (even numbered) side. The other negative was no refrigerators (or microwaves) in the rooms. When I stay overnight I don't care about a fridge, but when I am there a couple of days, having a refrigerator is a real convenience. I heard another guest asking at the desk about a refrigerator, so this is probably something many people would like.

Room Tip: Choose an even numbered room to be on front (western) side, away from interstate.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael M

Hello Michael - Thanks for taking the time to write such a positive review about us! I appreciate the compliments about the cookies and the rubber ducks. Thanks for the feedback about the highway noise and the refrigerators as well. We hope you'll choose us again the next time you are in Appleton! Thanks!