“Excellent Food and Service”
Review of Carmella's

Carmella's
Ranked #2 of 370 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Wisconsin
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Although you enter through a long narrow passage, Carmella's is a little jewel nestled next to SAP Bakery and Penzey's Spices.

The food and menu bring to mind my visits to Italy. The waitstaff is courteous and professional, and the restaurant is clean and inviting. Prices are on the higher end, but not unreasonable for the quality and portion size.

A delicoous hot peasant bread with olive oil and basalmic vinegar in a small bowl were delivered, and although there were no herbs and I had to re-incorporate the balsamic as it had separated, this was a delicious beginning to our wonderful meal.

Calamari was fried perfectly in a light batter - not overcooked and plenty of tentacle (the best part), not just the rings from the mantle, as you tend to get from so many restaurants nowadays! The dipping sauce was a fra diavolo and a delicious lemon mayonnaise was perfectly prepared.

The Panini were delicious, cooked perfectly on the fresh baked peasant bread (which I believe comes from their sister bakery - SAP). The Muffaletta could have used more olive tapenade, but I love olive tapenade, so that might just be me. My girlfriend's Chicken Parmesan Panini was wonderful, she asked for the marinara on the side, and we all enjoyed the taste so much we bought a jar to take home. (I now wish I'd spent the money for the Bacon Jam they sold - it looked wonderful). The panini were served with a fresh spring green salad, which was also delicious.

Even though we were there mid-afternoon (2:15), there were quite a few tables eating. It appears that Carmella's has three dining areas, if you count the alfresco seating, and there were plenty of attentive staff.

This is one of the best meals we have had since moving to Central Wisconsin and certainly the best Italian. It reminded me of Biaggio in Middleton and VIncenzo's in Cincinnati (Springdale).
Highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion.

• Visited August 2014

“Don't let the location fool you, this place is amazing.”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

Loved it. Can't say much more than that. Beautiful setting, delicious food, my husband found something he would eat.

• Visited September 2013
Wyoming, MI
“Wow. .. best food in Wisconsin!”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Wow! This place is really great! I started with a glass of Moscato and thier bread and oil/spice....delicious. I had the chilian shrimp appetizer..excellent a must try and a great recommendation by my waiter Corey. I didn't have a lot of time, so I had a side of mushroom/parmesan risotto. ..just heavenly.... happy to see palazollos gelato on the menu too! Definitely coming back while in town and will recommend too all. Bonus...outdoor covered seating.. couldn't have had a better end to my trip here.

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Enjoy with friends”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Almost all my friends love this restaurant. I think the food is just fine. This type of over-styled, AmerItalian food with its heavily dressed, rather soft pastas are not my preference. That said, for what is is, I think it is just fine. I am also not a fan of the strip-mall aesthetic, but it doesn't seem to bother others. The room is loud. Hard to carry on a conversation. I would prefer that the waiters not introduce themselves and interrupt conversation that the noisy room already makes difficult. Even if it is not my ideal restaurant, I have to say that I have never had food that was disappointing. Of the Italian eateries in Appleton, this is arguably the best.

• Visited June 2014
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful dining experience”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Excellent overall dining experience. Everything prepared had unique flavors and were presented in a very attractive manner. The service was exceptional which made the dinning experience even better.

• Visited August 2014

Been to Carmella's? Share your experiences!