“Amazing food, NYC Little Italy Experience”
Review of Carmella's

Carmella's
Ranked #2 of 369 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I live in Manhattan and have access to some fantastic Italian fare and I will say Carmella's was every bit as good as anything here. Each course of the meal was fabulous and the service from the team there was outstanding. Beth was our waitress (new, too!) and she couldn't have done a better job. Carmella's is definitely the place to go for a great meal in Appleton!

1  Thank BruceAMD

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We decided to go to Appleton for the day, and based on the great reviews, and the wonderful menu posted on their website, we decided on Carmella's.

The restaurant is in a shopping center, but the interior is nice, and the outside patio is wonderful....roomy, nice cool breeze, with a very nice timber trellis providing some cover and shade. The patio looks over a street and the back of a big box store, but it has nice, tall, green evergreen trees that really do a good job of screening noise and the poor view.

We ordered a glass of sauvignon blanc, and it was a very nice full pour...nearly a full glass.

There is only one menu, so for lunch you either order a salad or panini, or order a dinner sized entree with a dinner sized price. Appetizers are $9-12, pastas are $12-16 and entrees are up to $28. We wanted "the good stuff" so ordered as if having dinner.

We ordered two appetizers.... fried calamari and beef tenderloin carpaccio. Both of the appetizers were off the charts good. The calamari might be the best I have ever had...tender, crispy, flavorful...served with garlic aioli and a spicy marinara. The carpaccio was tender, flavorful, with wonderful EVOO and garnished with nice greens and pine nuts. The bread served was excellent, with nice EVOO and herbs. At this point everything was fabulous, and we looked forward to our entrees.

I ordered linguini with clams. The linguini was home made, and had a wonderful chewy texture. There were lots of clams, but unfortunately it was a little salty (and I like salt). Normally I would dip bread in the broth, but didn't because of the salt. Too bad...fundamentally a good dish.

My wife ordered rigatoni with white wine and vegetables...kind of a primavera. She did this on the spur of the moment because the server recommended it, after she had studied the menu for 10 minutes and liking three other entrees. Anyway, she thought that there were too few vegetables, too much rigatoni, and that the dish was bland. The rigatoni are a big, heavy thick pasta which is best served with a hearty ragu. The more delicate vegetables needed a thinner, lighter pasta....angel hair, maybe linguini. My wife makes a very good primavera, and this dish didn't compare too well in her eyes.

There were a number of other entrees that we would love to try. The ambiance is so nice, the menu is so good, and the couple of excellent dishes we had mean that we definitely will give this restaurant another try....it is so close to being great......

1  Thank Gatorgolfer
Reviewed July 18, 2013

First time at an Italian restaurant, I always get the Chicken Marsala. It's my benchmark....outstanding is the word to describe Carmella's Marsalla. My son had the Parmigiana and it was right there too. Generous portions, great salad, just right atmosphere and an experienced server.. Always nice to find a professional server and have the manager come by to make sure you're satisfied with everything. Be going back there again...

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I was welcomed with the wonderful smell of fresh italian cooking as i entered the restaurant. Nice Menu selection. The ravioli is top notch. Also there is a nice choice of cheeses to order as appetizers which is a nice addition to a traditional Italian menu. We had the black truffle goat cheese...YUM! The meal is also served with bread with dipping oil and balsamic vinegar. Food came out fast although we were there at 2pm so it was not packed. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by someone I met on my vacation to Upper Michigan so when I stopped in Appleton I decided to give it a try as I love italian food. WOW! I have eaten at a lot of great italian restaurants all over the country and the meal I had here was the best I've ever had. I had the Veal Francese and it was spectacular! The veal was very thin and so tender, very lightly breaded, with linguine and a very light lemon/white wine sauce with tiny fresh green beans. I wanted to lick my plate! The bread they brought was also very good and I loved that the oil for the bread had balsamic vinegar in it. The atmosphere was really nice also. I sat outside on their patio and it was decorated very nicely with strings of lights and nice wooden tables. My server was top notch. She was very friendly, very attentive and gave a good recommendation when I was trying to decide between two entrees. I highly recommend going to Carmella's if you are ever in Appleton!

Been to Carmella's? Share your experiences!