“Taste of Italy”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Taste of Italy”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This was my first time to Carmella's and it was a very pleasurable dining experience. Unlike most reviews, I did not have to wait for the extremely long lines but I also went outside of normal dining rush hours.

Overall, the food was phenominal, the service was exceptional, and the wine menu is extensive. The manager made sure to check with everyone to see how their dining experience was and offered any assistance when needed. They have daily meal and dessert specials which allow for other options outside of the menu.

Definately will be visiting this establishment every chance I make it back to Appleton!!!

Appleton, Wisconsin
“Food is great. Getting a table is awful.”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I've been to Carmella's a dozen or more times. I've tried a dozen more, but it is nearly impossible to get a table between 5 and 8 pm on a weekend, so I've gone elsewhere. They don't take reservations as far as I know. They have a modified call in system in lieu of a reservation system, but I was told I couldn't get on the list until after 8 pm. The check in staff has seemed annoyed and rushed whenever I've been there. Have a "plan B" in mind when you try to go there.

As I said, the food is great, and seems like authentic Italian. The food is definitely the best part of the restaurant. Be aware that the restaurant is crowded and quite noisy. Hopefully they'll expand.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Bottlerocket9
carmellasbistro, Owner at Carmella's, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful review of our restaurant. We appreciate the very kind words about our food. We did want to take a minute to clarify our reservation policy for those who have never dined at our restaurant before or for those who are also confused by it. We accept reservations for parties of 6 or more any time. We accept "call-aheads" to our daily "call-ahead" list (if you are less than 6) the day you are coming, any time after 10:00 am. We do always recommend that you call early! We also let you know that being on this list does not guarantee you will sit exactly at the time you request, but that it will reduce your wait time by at least half of what we are quoting walk in guests. We accept 2 “call-aheads” per fifteen minute time increments throughout the evening, which is why we may not have the time you’re interested in available. If we do not have that time available, we can put you on the list for a time we do have open or you are welcome to come in as a walk in at the time you desire. We hope this clears things up a bit! We thank you again for your support!
Appleton, WI
“Love love love!!!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This is by far my favorite Italian restaurant. It is a little gem tucked away in a strip mall. My hint to you... If you know you want to go there on the weekend, they open at 10am. Call them and get on "the list" you can call and let them know what time you will be there and show up at that time and your wait starts then and you will be given a table. Otherwise you will not be enjoying a table. It is always packed!!!! Everything is great and save room for a cupcake or sundae. Give this place a try. It is so good. But call ahead...

Menasha, Wisconsin
“Great food”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife loves coming to this place. It is a smaller place and always very busy, but they do a great job of getting everyone seated and served. They have a great selection of wine and the food is excellent

• Visited December 2012
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“4.5 Stars- great food, noisy, busy, pricey”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The food was great. Ala carte- the bill adds up fast. The bread was good, crusty and served with olive oil and basalmic vinegar. We ordered calmari, and it was awesome, with a huge portion. Best I've had outside New York City. I ordered the blue cheese appetizer, it was too much for one, but priced ok. My hubby had the salad special of the day, again generous portion and wonderful presentation and dressing, he said. My meal was a pasta dish, very very good, couldn't finish it and the waitress put it in a nice to go container. The hubby had a veal marsala, also very good. No room for desert for us. No drinks, which was disappointing, just wines and beer. We will return, and not order so much food next time. So busy, so noisy. Maybe the outside seating when it warms up will be less noisy.

1 Thank Dawn H