“One of my favorite restaurants in my hometown.”
Review of Carmella's

Ranked #6 of 383 Restaurants in Appleton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2012

There are 3 Italian restaurants within spitting distance of each other (Bucca di Beppo, Olive Garden and Carmella's). Carmella's food is the best of the three by far. It is near impossible to get into this place on the weekends unless you have a group big enough to get a reservation, or you call in advance to get on the wait list, or you go early. I love this place because few restaurants have such an incredible beer selection. I have been accused of being a beer snob. Usually, selection is hard at most restaurants because they go with the over-marketed beers. In this case, there are so many fantastic beers on their list that I have a similar problem deciding. The food is really what drives people to fill this place up. They have a wide range of pastas and panini entrees. I love all of their paninis. They serve them with a salad comprised of high quality ingredients, but I usually upgrade to their roast beet with herbed goat cheese salad. Other popular dishes are their eqqplant parmigiana, gnocchi, and any of their fish entrees. They are also known for their cupcakes and gelato. Did I mention they have a solid wine selection? I am not a wine drinker, but several family members are and they always find something exceptional on the menu. My only complaint is that they do have some noise level issues since it is in a strip mall with exposed metal rafters/ceiling.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you like Italian food this is the place to go! The food is excellent, flavors are wonderful! The servers were friendly & helpful. This is the place to go to relax, unwind...note: this is not the place to take noisy, undisciplined children This this the kind of place you go for a date, to get away, business meeting with clients...leave the kids home! Have a drink, good food, good company.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I wanted to post a delayed review of a visit I had in April with customers. We showed up with no reservations for a group of 7 people. The manager was very courteous and informed it woudl be an hour. In th e meantime we had a drink and was seated within 40 minutes. The manager seated us an also provided a bottle of wine due to the delay. I have never seen this before as they were within their hour boundary. The wine was great and of mid range priced.
We continued with fried mozeralla and other starters which were great. We have eaten here minimum 10 times all with no problems and satsified with the food. By no means is this Italy, but they do a superb job of provided an excellent meal.

The wine is good and they offer a variety of choices with prices ranges. Don't be aftraid to go with low price ranged wine as all their selections are great.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was our 2nd try at Carmella's, having eaten there a year ago without being impressed. We arrived early in the evening and were seated immediately. The restaurant had a normal level of conversation and background noise, so my husband and I could talk to each other at a normal volume level. Within 30 minutes, the noise level had risen dramatically and my husband was having a hard time hearing me.

In the meantime, we ordered, starting with the appetizer special of fresh mozzarella layered with heirloom tomatoes and bruschetti. This $13 appetizer was incredibly over priced for the amount and quality of food. The brushetti tasted like bacon (which I don't like) and 2 of the 3 tomato slices were hard and unripened. We waited for our entrees a little longer than what seemed reasonable, but that may be because it was so hard for us to talk to each other at this point and time was dragging.

I had ricotta ravioli with pesto and green peas. The ravioli was good but the amount of pesto was scanty compared to the size and quantity of ravioli. There were few green peas on the entree, but even so the taste of peas often overwhelmed the flavor of ricotta and pesto. My husband's zuppe di pesce was not a soup as expected. The squid was overcooked (which was my complaint about the seafood at our 1st visit). There was also an unidentified piece of seafood in it that we finally concluded was an imitation scallop.

While we were eating our entrees, a party of 7 was seated at the table next to us. The 7th person, seated at the end of the table, was literally tight up against another table where another couple was seated. Rather than making the party of 7 wait until an appropriate space could be made available for them, the restaurant staff chose to re-seat the nearby couple which had already been served appetizers and drinks. Thumbs down to the restaurant staff for that rude and discourteous move.

Our service was top notch. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. Our water glasses were always full. Unfortunately, that was not enough to outweigh the incredibly loud noise level, mediocre food, and rude treatment of the neighboring diners.

3  Thank ItalianFoodWanted
carmellasbistro, Owner at Carmella's, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our restaurant. We appreciate all comments and hope to use these to make Carmella's the best we can be. In response to the noise level of the restaurant, we are a busy and bustling restaurant that is lively and fun. We installed sound absorbing panels on our ceilings a few years ago which has helped reduce the noise level dramatically. We do apologize if you felt the restaurant was too noisy for you to hear each other. As well, the organic heirloom tomato napolean that you ordered comes with crispy prosciutto (not brushetti), which is very similar to bacon. We do not and never have used imitation scallops, and our "Zuppe di Pesce" is our family's take on the classic Italian fish stew (not soup). As far as moving another table to accomodate a larger party of seven, the guests that were asked very politely to move were more than gracious and not at all upset. The party that had been sat with seven people had made the reservation for six people and had unexpedtedly grown to seven. Unfortunately, there was no other space in the restaurant for the group of six which had expanded to seven and our staff did the best they could to accomodate everyone. We work tirelessy with our staff to ensure that all guests of Carmella's are treated to an unparralled level of guest service, which we hope leads to an amazing experience. We are happy to hear that your server was all that we strive to be. Again, we thank you for choosing Carmella's and are very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. We truly hope that you will reconsider and try us again in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were in for a romantic dinner for two as an early Valentine's Day treat. The staff was amazingly professional and knows everything about the menu and wine list. I am also a server and was extremely impressed and maybe just a little humbled. The food was incredible and portions generous. We both tried a couple different wines and were happy with our server's recommendations. If you go, take time to speak with your server and have faith in the advice he or she gives - they won't steer you wrong!

1  Thank Jennifer D