“Wow, what a nice place!”

Howard Johnson Inn Appleton
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Ladysmith, Wisconsin, United States
“Wow, what a nice place!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Before HoJo bought it, it was a really tacky hotel. They have spruced it up, cleaned it up, and have some great people working there! We stay there every time we go to Appleton (this thursday will be our 3rd trip of the summer. I would recommend This hotel to anyone!!

Deb Swenson

Room Tip: the nicer rooms weve stayed in is actually in the pet area, room 104 and beyond.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deb S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dallas, Georgia
Reviewed August 3, 2012

First I could not believe how cheap it was. So i thought it would be alittle run down but it was not the rooms were really nice and they have complimentary popcorn and coffee all day long my kids were happy we stay at hotles alot we like to travel and the high price hotels dont even offer coffee all day and on weekend you have to pay for breakfest so when we came down for it my kids were happy to see they had waffles juice and cookies and it's all free with our stay and every one at the front desk was really nice. My family will be staying their again and if you want to get away for cheap and sitll have a nice place to stay i would stay here

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Trish F
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family and I stayed at the howard johnson hotel on perkins in appleton wi. We had a nice time until the last day, we were running out of money. We had a donor on our part to pay for one more night the manager told us had I known you wouldn't be in here. That wasn't right. I need to know what to happen to her.

• Stayed July 2012

Travelers are raving about these Appleton hotels

Wausau
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Last week, I checked into the Howard Johnson hotel on Perkins Street on a split second decision. Yes, it's location is approximately six blocks east of Highway 41 off College Ave. Not in the main stream of the "Mall" area but, less than half the price. The room was nice, comfortable and clean. Frig, micro and coffee maker. They seem to have an issue with a number of items marked "Out Of Order" ie: Popcorn Machine, Guest Laundry, Creamer Machine, etc.. The included breakfast was O.K. but, nothing to brag about. All-in-allteh stay was comfortable and certainly a pleasant surprise for the price. I will probably stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank L L
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed May 2, 2012

First, let me share with the 2A people that this property has a "buster" sign on the front door, but no other doors were so marked. Also, their written policies as shown at the check-in mentioned no such anti-2A tendencies, but decide for yourself which way to go.

Overall room was OK. The Shower was -excellent- with high water pressure, good temperature, and double shower heads. One of the nicest showers I've been in for awhile.

Internet access was surprisingly fast with no issues. Again, a good mark for that.

I did not see an elevator on this property.

BTW, previous reviewers mentioned the "out of order" problem... yep, still there. I saw those signs all over the place, including the one thing that I wanted to use, the guest laundry. Oh well.

The bed was comfy and I was able to keep the room at a good temperature with the climate control.

Overall, this is a repeatable experience. I just wish they would lose that ugly sign from the door.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kansasccw
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have stayed in a few hotels in my life time. I manage a hotel. This Howard Johnson has more out of order items. The property's guest laundry is out of order coffee machine,pop corn machine, creamer machine. Non smoking room smelled of smoke. Television wasn't programmed. Burn mark on the comforter, in a non smoking room. Toilet paper holder broke, was never fixed. Piece of metal from building over hang laying next to our car. Female front desk clerk never smiles. Male desk clerk never smiles. Out of order sign laying on top of game machine. Housekeeping staff did do a nice job on freshening room on our second night.Property needs some help!!!!!

Room Tip: Smell Your Room!!!! Property was supposed to be non smoking!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I was charged for extra people who supposedly stayed in my room even though it was just myself. Was told that they could prove the extra people because of the camera system, when I asked if the camera system showed the people actually in my room, they could not say yes or no. Nothing good for breakfast and what little I had was m,onitored. I felt like I was not allowed to take two tiny donuts, only one was allowed. When I went to fill up my travel mug with coffee before I left, I was told that I could use the coffee maker in my room for that. My mug didn't fit in the single pour coffee maker they provide!

Room Tip: Don't choose one from here
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business