“It was just OK”

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Tomah, Wisconsin
“It was just OK”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

The location is great. We were so close to the mall, but not far from downtown. We were there to see a show at Fox Cities Performing Arts Center. There are a ton of restaurants near the hotel.
There has obviously been some remodeling, but not everything is perfect. There was hair in our tub, the phone jack was ripped out of the wall. We had no phone service and the WiFi was down. I explained this to the front desk and they took $10 off the rate.
The breakfast line was slow and very confusing. Noone knew where it started. Our group of girls got frustrated and decided to go to McDonald's.
If you are looking for a good location at a reasonable price, this will work.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Milton, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The staff was good, rooms were clean and the rate for a king kitchenette was affordable. There were a lot of families taking advantage of the indoor pool in WI in January and though there was a lot of activity it was not objectionable. It was pretty full this weekend so they ran out of breakfast food at a bit after 9:00 on Sunday, so don't wait too long to get something to eat. 2 restaurants attached (Applebees and TX Roadhouse) so food is always close by.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chilton, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 15, 2010

My husband's 7 sisters, a friend & I spent the weekend together. After the exceptionally poor hotel we stayed at last year, there was concern by all of what we might find this year. We stayed at LaQuinta Inn and Suites in Appleton for one night after a day of shopping. The rooms were very nice with a kitchenette area (frig, microwave & sink), plenty of room for luggage and enough space for all of us to move to one room to visit. The beds were only full size but comfortable. One room did have an odor which we Fabreezed. We did notify the staff of this at checkout and they stated they would have the rugs shampooed.

The pool area was very nice with the air feeling warm, the pool water was very comfortable as well as the hot tub and sauna. We were able to use the activity/breakfast area to sit together to eat the pizza we had delivered.

Although the hotel may not be newly remodeled it was comfortable and clean. It has a nice lounge area near the front desk which gives a nice backdrop for group photos. I feel it was a good price for the accommodations and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
northwoods
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I stayed at your suites for my grandsons' wedding. Upon arrival the room assigned had a strong smoke odor. ( they are cleaning rooms to meet new state requirements of no smoking). I asked if I could be moved as I am very allergic to smoke. The staff was awesome! Immediately I was shown a room and asked if it met my needs. It did. Again, later the staff asked if I was pleased with the room. Breakfast was above expectations, the staff experienced and professional. They certainly have my business.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Gaylord, Michigan
Reviewed June 6, 2010

After reading the reviews I thought we had a pretty good chance of having a pleasant stay at this hotel, and we definitely stayed at the Inn and Suites, but the hotel is showing its age and we were very disappointed. I'm sure it was rather nice at one time but now it's smelly and run down. The room was not very clean, there was a mice dropping in the bathroom, and breakfast wasn't as described. Be careful if you stay at this hotel, ask to see the room first.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bladb
Oro Valley, AZ
Reviewed May 24, 2010

This review is about the LaQuinta Inn and Suites, not the neighboring La Quinta property.

The thing that struck me as most odd was that our large and pleasant room had no form of air conditioning, or even a fan available for cooling the room on a sultry, 80 degree day in late May. WHEN is the last time you've stayed in a hotel in the US with no air conditioning? Just as I would assume a hotel room will have a bed, or a door, I assume there will be some sort of cooling system. But this attractive two room suite with a King Bed had a sign on the wall above the thermostat which read- "this time of year only heating is available" (late May) and indeed, when we wistfully tried to turn the stat to cool, nothing happened....

Another odd thing was the 2 drainage pipes outside our bedroom window. They lead from under the building to a scummy little puddle about 4 feet from the window, and from time to time would erupt with gushing blasts of water into the puddle. No, it wasn't raining, and one time the water gushed right after my husband flushed the toilet. Coincidence? Hopefully so, but still unnerving and creepy to think about.

Despite the high ratings, I can't say we'll ever return to or reccommend La Quinta Inn and Suites Appleton.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Green Bay, WI
Reviewed February 13, 2010

After reading mixed review for this hotel, the only theory that I have regarding them is that they must have stayed in the La Quinta which is literally in the same parking lot. This review is for the La Quinta Inn AND SUITES! From the moment I walked in the staff made sure that my stay was outstanding.

I was traveling with my wife and son, and once they saw that the friendly staff, upgraded us (for free) to a two room king suite. The room was spacious and include a small kitchen. The bathroom was a little cramped, but serviced our needs. Within minutes of getting in the room, the desk called to make sure the room met our standards.

The pool area was warm, and the pool size was larger than most. The breakfast was typical, but the staff person offered to wash our sons dish. Thank you!! The kids play area is prefect as well. I very much enjoyed our quick stay in Appleton. Make the correct choice of La Quintas and choose THE SUITES!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business