“Worst Night of Sleep Ever!”

Radisson Paper Valley Hotel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Appleton
Wisconsin
“Worst Night of Sleep Ever!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a Saturday night in September, as we were attending a military formal dining out in the area. While there were a few pros to staying here, I cannot overlook the terrible night!
Pros:
-Room was clean.
-Breakfast buffett was amazing!
-Proximity to Appleton nightlife (although this probably contributed to the cons)

Cons:
-Long line for check-in. To be fair, many other military members were checking in at the same time, so this most definitely contributed to the long wait to speak with the front desk.
-Broken phone in hotel room. When I went to call to complain about noise, I quickly found that the phone jack was broken in my room. I had to look up the hotel's number on my own cell phone, and call from there!
-Mishandling of aforementioned terrible night of sleep. Our room happened to be next to a room (with a door that connected to ours, which probably didn't help), of a bachelorette party. As I was newly pregnant at the time, the noise, combined with the need for sleep, sent me into an angry tizzy. I called to the front desk (from my cell phone), and security went up to yell at them 15 minutes later. This only helped momentarily with the noise problem in the room next door, but alas, they went to swim shortly after....at 1:00 in the morning. Why they even allow the pool to be open that late is beyond me...anyways, said girls came back later in the night to cause more noise, in which I called again to security......Another half hour later, there is vaccuuming right outside our doorway, because someone had thrown a glass. I know that this needed to be taken care of to avoid guest injury, but this was just the icing on the cake. To top it off, the next morning when my husband complained they would not give us ANY discount on the room....that we didn't even really sleep in. The only form of apology came with two free passes to the breakfast buffet-one of which could not even be used, as my husband had to attend early morning drill.

I was EXTREMELY disappointed in how this was handled, and will NEVER stay at this hotel again because of it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Mequon, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed there in February 2013 for a dance competition held across the street at the PAC. The staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed on the concierge level which provided a decent breakfast. The rooms were clean and well appointed, however, the wallpaper in the bathroom was starting to peel back over the shower and the mini-fridge in our room has seen better(and colder) days. The parking lot was across the street and you could enter through a bridge on the 3rd floor ( and take your luggage down an escalator or slow moving elevator) or go to ground level and take it across the street. It was only 5 degrees out, so this may have colored my view of the parking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The food was very good.The staff very friendly and helpful.I stayed in the Concirege level and would do it again.The rooms were excellant and the staff in the lounge were very nice.The amount of food that you got for the price was very good.A nice selection of beverages in the bar area and in the concierge lounge.

Room Tip: stay on the concierge level.My room faced the courtyard and it was lit up at night
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We traveled with a large group of high school students for a festival at Lawrence University. The staff quickly and professionally met all of our needs. The entire experience was extremely pleasant - from our first contact when making the reservations, to our special breakfast requests (the entire restaurant staff was well prepared for our arrival), to our final check-out. The Paper Valley Radisson executed their duties very well from every angle. We traveled with a chaperone who, for a number of years, planned tours for another organization. Her impression was that this was best experience she has had in working with a hotel and group accommodations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We often stay here when attending concerts at the Conservatory down the street. The staff is friendly and quick to respond to any problems: when the heat went out in our room, Josh, the engineering staff member, identified the problem quickly and helped move us to another room. Rooms are comfortable and spacious, and the breakfast buffet and room service are always good. The gentleman in the gift shop is friendly and always up to date on local sports stories.

Room Tip: Rooms in the wing to the left of the desk at check in are the quietest. Many rooms have a lovely vi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a work event. Decided to extend my stay due to snow to 2 nights. Room was so old and crappy you wouldn't believe it was $130/ night. I really cant say that the papervalley lives up to its image or name. I travel frequently and this is close to the worste radisson experience I've had as far as room quality (outdated, old matress, very old actually, outdated, dirty, foul stale odor throughout, etc).

If our company attends the event I was here for again Ithe will suggestbe to coworkers to check out other hotels. Very bummed the room sucked. On a positive note, I was very pleased with all interaction with staff from the housekeepers and janitor to front desk and banquet staff. All supirior customer service.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank vspink23
Kimberly, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Radisson staff is top notch from planning my event to the execution; it was flawless. I had a large group dinner at Lombardi's and Allen and Jake made my guests feel like royalty. The food was delicious and very substanial portions. I love working with Radisson as they always make our event extra special. Stay at the Radisson and definitely make reservations to eat at Lombardi's Steakhouse!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends