“Room was HUGE”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Appleton
Chicago, Illinois
“Room was HUGE”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Appleton was the last leg of our Lake Michigan Circle Tour trip and they were able to accommodate us via social media (!) on the same-day. They provided us with a phenomenal rate, a killer corner king room that was HUGE, and champagne to celebrate my engagement the night before. This is one of my favorite places to stay and relax in their giant hot tub as well. Will see them again next year!

Room Tip: Corner king!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Mindy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Appleton, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are so happy that you chose us to be a part of your special trip. Like you, we love social media and being able to interact with our guests and getting to know them before they even check in. Hope you had a fantastic time at the Harley Davidson Rally!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Oh, dear. Where to begin? I sincerely believe the ONLY renovations done in this hotel are: 1. the carpet in the lobby, and 2. POSSIBLY the drapes in our room.

Plus side? Jenny I. at the front desk was simply amazing!!! Friendly, accommodating, and made us feel like we were not imposing by asking for all of the things that should have been in our room to begin with! (Same with the sweet housekeeping gal.)

SKIP the breakfast buffet. Total waste of money -- service was atrocious, food was empty, all tables were dirty and left that way. Ick. Asked for a refund and received it.

Room Tip: Don't know what to say. Our "corner suite" was an awkwardly shaped room with awkwardl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mindy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Appleton, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Gloria-

You are correct, Jenny is a gem! I am so sorry that you were unhappy with your stay. Our new management team is dilligently working to address the problems that you encountered. I hope that you do give us a chance the next time you are in town as I am sure that your experience will be better.
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is a great property now that they are renovating. I was placed in a newly renovated room which was nice and clean. There were certain floors which were completely shut down with painters constantly coming and going. Once they finish I anticipate this being a decent place to stay in Appleton.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Mindy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Appleton, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
I agree with you! Our guestroom renovation project has made a big difference. The renovation is now complete. Our next big project is a new HVAC unit in our indoor pool area and upgraded game room area, which will be completed shortly. This will greatly reduced the humidity level.

I invite you to come stay with us the next time you are in the area to check out our latest upgrades.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.
Bend, OR
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday inn Appleton, Wisconsin, I usually stay at a different hotel at that airport, but I thought since I am a gold member with Holiday Inn, that might be to some benefit. I was deeply disappointed in this hotel from the moment I began my check in at the front desk. The front desk agent never once smiled, or greeted me upon my arrival, never acknowledged that I was a gold member (I called ahead of time and gave my gold number)I had to ask her 3 times if she had my Holiday inn number in my booking she finally said no and would look it up, but checked me in anyway.
boarded the elevator, it was dirty, the carpet was way beyond work and there were hand prints all on the stainless steel, like it had never been cleaned. Got to the room it was ok well worn for sure and old, the carpet was dingy and the bathroom was not in my mind clean at all, the floors looked dirty the back of the door was a chipped, the ceiling had brown spots from being humid and the shower didn't drain. Can't say in recent years that I have been in a hotel that was this dated. Hopefully Holiday inn will give them money to renovate soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank lisantrvl
Mindy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Appleton, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Lisantrvl-

I am so sorry that your stay was not acceptable. The issues that you described are obviously not how the Holiday Inn Appleton prefers to do business or wants to be known for. I invite you to call me directly at 920-735-9955 to discuss these items further. Our management team will address the problems that you encountered and remedy them.

Mindy Lawson
Director of Sales

Travelers are raving about these Appleton hotels

Lakeland, Minnesota
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The property is a bit worn around the edges, but overall a fine place for a night or two. My room was spacious, King, no fridge, no microwave, thermostat controlled by the guest. The room was clean, the bed comfortable. The only problem was the tub water didn't drain from one day's shower until the next day's shower - rather odd. The in-room wifi worked great.

In the lobby there's free 24hr coffee & tea, and a business center with a couple of computers and the ability to print a boarding pass.

The breakfast area has a breakfast buffet or menu options. As a Priority Club Member, I have no idea what the fee was for the buffet as I received my breakfast for free. Bacon, eggs, sausages, toasts, bagels, juice, cereals, biscuits and gravy, potatoes, fruits, yogurts. I was well attended by the serving staff and the area was clean and overlooked lovely gardens.

The restaurant on site, Marlon's, is a bar/pub atmosphere with several televisions overhead, a pool table, a foosball table, and popcorn machine. A handful of beers on tap, a few more in the bottle, and full service with liquor and wine. A menus with half a dozen apps, sandwiches, burgers, and other options. Attentive bartending and wait staff.

My stay was quiet and pleasant. The property is an easy exit off of 41, and a Fuddrucker's and Outback Steakhouse are within walking distance. Gas stations, other restaurants & shopping are very close. Downtown Appleton is perhaps 5 to 10 minutes depending on traffic. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AdventureLass
Mindy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Appleton, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
AdventureLass-

Thank you for the review. I'm happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, but so sorry about the tub drainage issues you appeared to have. I sincerly hope that our staff was able to remedy the situation for you. Best wishes in your future travel and we hope to see you again real soon.
Michigan
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have stayed here a number of times over the years. This property is aging a but, but it is very well maintained. Rooms are average size, good furnishings, and up to date with Holiday Inn branding. Restaurant and lounge are typical for this brand, Sunday brunch (when available) is solid.

Some negatives... When hosting events, parking can be limited; service is inconsistent, but usually good; and when hockey teams and other groups are here, the hallways are often loud.

Room Tip: Good proximity to shipping in the area, and easy on/off from highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jra3
Mindy L, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Appleton, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
jra3-

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your stay. However some of your comments leave me to think that you may have left your reveiw for the wrong location. The Holiday Inn Appleton is located at US Highway 41 and College Ave across from the Fox River Mall. We have close to 500 parking spaces, so with 226 rooms and meeting space that holds 250 people we have a spot for everyone. Our new Executive Chef, Daryl Birkholz, does but on a terrific breakfast buffet every morning of the week from 6am to 10am but we currently do not offer a Sunday Brunch.

We invite you to give us a try the next time you are in town, hope to see you soon!

Mindy Lawson
Director of Sales
Greenwood, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn - Appleton for the Wisconsin State Baseball Tournament. The service was amazing and the staff took great care of our baseball players, coaches, and families. They went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and made our "State" experience the most memorable! The sales manager Mindy Lawson took care of everything from the booking of the rooms, to locating a laundry mat to wash uniforms, to arranging an early breakfast for the players before their early games. She was amazing!

Room Tip: Any room at this hotel would be amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family