“Average hotel in boring city”

Othon Palace Fortaleza
Ranked #13 of 95 Hotels in Fortaleza
Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed at the hotel while looking for an apartment to rent. It is perhaps the best located hotel in the city. We had a large room with a good view. The hotel is advertised here as 3 star. It was sold to us as 5 star. Maybe the room fittings are 2-3 star. It felt like a commercial hotel with larger rooms. Service was good. Breakfast was OK, but the same every day. Internet connection was good. The 'swimming pool' was a plunge pool and the 'gym' was just a couple of machines.

Local friends say it is one of Fortaleza's better hotels (I am told the Gran Marquise is best, but never stayed there). The real problem is that Fortaleza lacks the vibrancy of some Brazilian cities.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Othon Palace Fortaleza

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Just arriving from a week at Fortaleza at Othon. We stayed, a couple with two child in two contiguous rooms with a wonderful view of the beach. Very confortable and clean rooms, good location.

Maybe a little expenxive, but it would be hard to us to find something similar in so better conditions, so I find it was worthy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank RodMachado
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I am in Brazil all the time, this Hotel has very nice rooms and they are large as well. It is very secure and the beach is across the street. Lots of Granite everywhere in the Hotel including the rooms. High Speed internet was reliable and for the money, it is usually the place I prefer to stay. Dont expect any good TV channels in English other than CNN.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I stayed for one night at the Othon, and I must say i was quite disappointed. For the price I paid, I really expected a higher standard. The room was quite small, but I must admit it di have a nice view of the ocean (I think all rooms have a sea view). There is air-conditioning only in the lobby but not in the elevators nor in the public areas of the floors, and it can get quite hot.
The staff at the desk were only two, they were polite but completely overworked and could not cope with all the guests' requests. Also, in the morning, my key card stopped working, and they couldn't manage to fix it. The only thing they offered me was to transfer me to another room.
All in all, I would say that this hotel is not worth the price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank sonicfab
Reviewed October 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Othon for five days and enjoyed every minute of it. I did a lot of research of hotels in the area (Marina Park, Praiano, Beira Mar etc) but finally selected the Othon based on price / location (ocean views). I would classify the hotel as a very clean four-star, with very spacious rooms, and a wonderful breakfast buffet. Our room (1212) had two single beds, a separate sitting area, air conditioner (which we needed in the 32 degree weather!), desk, bar fridge/tv, closet, free safe, bathroom - and best of all a balcony overlooking the ocean!! The room was clean (maid service was prompt and did a wonderful job), and "spacious".
The Othon palace is located in the very best and safest location in Fortaleza - right on the Meireles beach section of town. You can walk to all of the restaurants and activities on Beira Mar avenue (especially at night). The Artesan market is about a five minute walk away - which is good to be a little ways away for the noise and the congestion!
The hotel has a wonderful buffet in the morning (made to order omeletes, fruit, juices, cheese, buns, meat, cakes, etc etc), a pool area, exercise area (although we were too busy on our vacation to use it.....) and an elevator with glass windows that face the ocean (stunning views).
I read many reviews on the hotel and after staying at the hotel, I find that some of them were quite "harsh". I would definitely recommend this hotel for its location, rooms, cleanliness, and breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Canadian_Titan
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Went on a lark to Fortaleza and managed to get a suite at Royal Othon at a decent price. Not the cheapest rates but I feel like I got my money's worth because the hotel was well maintained, clean, and the staff was always professional and ready to help a foreigner like me with useful tips and information. The pool and gym is tiny and I never saw anyone use it. If you are a beach lover, the best beaches are strangely enough, all outside of Fortaleza proper. Although the Beira Strip is the main strip with a great restaurant and people watching scene, the beach itself is atrocious! The beach directly in front of all the nice hotels is so filthy I wouldn't even let my dog swim in it, yet I see the poor people from the favelas swim in it all the time. Quite a contrast from the beautiful Beira Mar beach aerial pictures that suckered me in. Oh well, go visit Jericoacoara, Cumbuco, Paracuru, etc if you want some great beach action. Anyway, back to the hotel, it's in the middle of Beira Mar, between Mucuripe and Iracema, and everything is in walking distance. I never tried the hotel's italian restaurant because the hotel dining room was pretty drab and not very appealing. The breakfast buffet is not great, but at least they do a good job of making sure the food is plentiful. Honestly, I've been to brazil many times and stayed at many hotels and breakfast is just not their thing. Go to the seafood restaurants all the way at the end of Mucuripe and you'll have some pretty awesome seafood experience. I recently went back to Fortaleza but I stayed at another hotel (Golden Tulip) and I deeply regretted that decision. Next time I go back I would reserve Othon in a heart beat.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dupree93
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I had to say that we were pleasantly surprised, the hotel was clean, modern with a free continental breakfast that had a wide selection. There is everything from fruits to omelettes made on the spot.The hotel also has a wonderful restaurant that in the evenings seemed under utilized (could be the time of year we were there), the waiters were wonderful and the food was very good. The rooms were always clean and the nice thing is the hotel economizes on electricity, because it requires your key card for lights and AC. If you face the ocean even better. The taxi guys were always ready and helpful, which is good because unless you have a car you will need to taxi everywhere. Down side is that the beach in front of hotel is not good, praia du futuro is where many go but there are always peddlers asking you to buy something, so be prepared to say no. Otherwise they swarm you. Yes, there is a pool but the picture is deceiving, it's small. But otherwise we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family