“Laidback luxury - old school”

Villas de Trancoso Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Trancoso
New York City, New York
“Laidback luxury - old school”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

I was looking for a place where I could completely decompress over a long weekend alone by the beach in the middle of a long LatAm business trip. The logistics of getting to Porto Alegre - the nearest commerical airport - were not ideal, but once I got to the hotel, all my worries vanished.

This place feels exactly like as if you were invited by a guest with a large beach-house compound of separate villas, with extremely helpful personal staff on hand at all times that weren't too intrusive. Trancoso is VERY laid back - a throwback to the Brazil of the 80s I remember - but the great accommodations, food and service are fantastic. Galen - the American owner of the hotel - was extremely welcoming and invited me as a solo traveler to join him and visiting family for drinks and dinner, yet never made me feel under any obligation to do anything but my own thing at all times.

There are all sorts of outdoor activites possible: kite surfing, riding, biking, surfing, golf etc. I didn't get a chance to do anything but relax in the sun and swim at deserted beaches, but I looked into the options as I am definitely planning to come back with my family. The property - with only six villas - feels like a home and would be anideal place to book for a family get-together or for a large group of friends.

The property is very attractive and the lighting is particularly well done
creating a beautiful atmosphere in the evenings.

The food was great as were the drinks... The menu was helpful but at the end of the day, they were happy to make anything if the ingredients were available.

Finally, after the prices in Rio and SP, the hotel - while not cheap - was great value for money and the ancillary charges for drinks, water, laundry etc. were not the egregious profit centers they are elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Hamburg
Reviewed January 27, 2011

This place is marvelous! Secluded, peaceful and very private. The staff is very friendly, helpful and caring. (Thank you Sheila for helping out so much :-))
Food is good, drinks are even better.
The beach is beautiful, for my taste sometimes a little too crowded, but that's just because I love empty beaches - even during daytime :-)
It's all you can wish for when you're looking for beach/sun vacations. So, go there as soon as you can and as long as "the tourists" haven't discovered Trancoso yet.
The reason why I gave it 4* instead of 5* is that in my opinion one can't compare Brazilian standards to e.g. Asian standards when it comes to 5 star-luxury resorts such as Aman.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathfrei
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed there for a week in January 2011.
First the pros: the place is great. Nice villas by the beautiful ocean, extremely friendly and helpful staff, good food & drinks, nothing to complain about. This place could be heaven!

Now the downside: the beach management could improve. First of all the guys operating the beach obviously love music and sometimes end up in a disco-competition with the guys from next door: whose music is louder?
But even worse (at least for me): the Trancoso Villas run an “open-beach-policy”. Outside guests who are willing to spend money on food & drinks are welcome – unfortunately they occupy the deck chairs too. On a bad day, you might be surrounded by a huge and noisy Brazilian family and no alternative sunbeds left for you. So if you love the Brazilian beach life (sometimes crowded, sometimes noisy), you can’t go wrong with this place: it’s the best in Trancoso anyway.
I have a different approach though: if I spend about $ 800,-- a night, I love to have two things: TRANQUILITY and EXCLUSIVITY! I pay to enjoy space and listen to the ocean and the wind in the palm trees. This is why we love places like the “Aman-Resorts” around the world or “Northern Island” – all of them sticking strictly to a “hotel guest only” policy.

Would I return or recommend this place to my friends? Yes, hoping that they change to a „hotel guests only“ policy or at least strictly limit the number of outside guests. It’s really a pitty as it is now.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank tjacobi
HZPACO, Owner at Villas de Trancoso Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
We appreciate all guest feedback. We do maintain a strict policy regarding services to outside guests. A pre-reservation is required and reservations are accepted only when space allows and we can support our normal high levels of service. In this particular case an inappropriate outside guest and choice of music created a poor guest experience. We apologize for this situation and have taken further steps to ensure that guests are always made to feel special in every aspect of their stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We spent five idyllic nights in the massive two storey luxury villa in this paradise property - where we had miles and miles of superb empty beaches practically to ourselves - wonderful food in the lovely little restaurant. The staff were just so friendly and informal - nothing was too much trouble. One of the managers even took me to the dentist when I had a toothache! we had such a lovely relaxing time - one of my favourite places I have ever stayed!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Turin, Italy
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Magnificent place, fantastic people!!! every thing is perfect in this place!!! We booked 3 of the 5 villas and everybody loves it!!! The staff is incredible, the restaurant is one of the best in Trancoso and the privacy is amazing. We need to thank all there and we will return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Colorado
Reviewed December 20, 2010

We have made our vacation at the Villas at Trancoso three times (so far). Each time we have been lucky enough to meet some other of our family members at this location making it a true family vacation. We could not have picked a better spot. From the moment you arrive you know you have arrived in paradise. The staff greets you with sincere warmth and situates you in one of the fantastic villas. Each one is meticulously clean, finely decorated, and visually stimulating. The details are incredible. In each Villa you’ll see wonderful paintings, rugs, furnishings, and wood carvings that making your room a real joy to be in. But the other real attraction is outside the rooms. The grounds around the property are beautiful and you can wander around just to see the variety of plants and flowers. Don’t forget to smell….the aromas are amazing. The pool area is a great in the morning, noon and night! For a real costal experience, head out to the beach. It is secluded, clean, and supported by a bar and staff to ensure you are comfortable at all times. When it was time to eat we did not need to leave the property. The Villas restaurant made every meal an experience. The food was fantastic from local favorites, to pasta, and fish dishes that are the best we have ever had. Again, the attention to detail was exceptional. For each dinner the serving area included flowers, palm leaves, and professional displays that made for a visually stimulating experience.
Each one of the staff members was exceptional. They are trained and coached to make sure the guests are having the experience of their lives. They are gracious, hard working, and cater to your every need. And always with a genuine smile on their faces!
As a side activity, my wife and I took a kayak excursion. We drove with our guides up river and were dropped off where we launched our kayaks. It was a peaceful journey down river through a variety of plant life. In this environment the trees, plants, flowers vary and create a new scene around every corner. The guides were professional and made sure we were safe and comfortable. The river drains into the ocean near the Villas. On the beach our guides treated us to some fresh cut pineapple. A nice reward at the conclusion of our journey.
Overall, our trips to the Villas of Trancoso have been unbelievable. The warmth of the staff, the food, coupled with the wonderful accommodations are the things that make this our top vacation spot!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rado_Kid
Buenos Aires
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Just returned from an awesome vacation at Villas Trancoso. We stayed at Villa Golf which was the most amazing place I have ever stayed in. Beats any of the villas in St Tropez where I vacationed the past 10 years...I am done with Europe...we are coming to Trancoso every year. Secluded beautiful beaches, amazing food, service over the top, my girlfriend did not want to leave. Secret tip: if you stay at Villa Golf, make sure to take the walk to the beach....a secluded romantic pathe along spectacular red clay cliffs, beautiful trees and flowers ends up where the river meets the beach...so beautiful.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trancoso
Estrela D'Agua
#1 of 20 in Arraial d'Ajuda
Resort La Torre
Resort La Torre
#4 of 94 in Porto Seguro

Been to Villas de Trancoso Hotel? Share your experiences!