“The Perfect Boutique Hotel”

UXUA Casa Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Trancoso
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“The Perfect Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

One of the best hotels that we've been. Very well located in the heart of Trancoso, Uxua offers everything for your romantic stay. The decoration is astonishing in every sense, and you can choose from a variety of houses, one completely different from the other. It's like a mini neighborhood. You feel like home. The service is a must. A very attentive personnel, the people you have as friends. When you leave, you gonna miss then!! The food is served by the pool side, and is something!! In fact you don't need to leave this gem. If you stay elsewhere, you will regret.

Room Tip: Take the House Tree.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mfaco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

I don't use the title to this review lightly but there literally is no other description worthy for UXUA. I have travelled to many places and stayed at establishements right across the budget spectrum but none other was able to deliver as perfectly balanced a combination of exclusivity, individuality, homeliness, tranquility, gastronomy and just sheer awe in a way that was done here. The design of the hotel is simply stunning and would be more suited to being an art exhibit than somewhere to stay. From the overall construction to the smallest decoration each individual item in the hotel must have been chosen, crafted and placed with an artisitc and functional purpose in mind. The use of the old fisherman huts and ancient local artefacts complements flashes of modernity and seemlessly beds UXUA into the heart of Trancoso. It really is like staying in one of those places you see in a design magazine that looks too perfectly cool to exist.

We stayed in Casa de Avore for a week. It is a beautifully crafted, spacious and private tree-house ideal for couples. However, I would love to return and sample living directly on the quadrado in one of the renovated fisherman houses. These may be a little exposed but the quadrado is quiet and peaceful and i doubt it would intrude too much.

The staff are incredibly friendly, genuine and extremely informative on all in the local area. Never before have I got to know the hosts so well and it was a pleasure chat away with them. The food also is without doubt the best in Trancoso. Breakfast in the enchanting tropical garden by the pool in the morning sun would be experience enough just with a modest bowl of cereal. However, the platter of fruits, cakes, home-made local treats and much more made this my favourite part of the day! An evening meal in the same setting comes highly recommended also. The beach bar oozes an understated kind of shbby-chic cool and its openness and unpretentiuos attitude gives it a great laid-back atmosphere throughout the day as locals drop by for a beer and some shade. The service throughout the hotel, of course, was impeccable.

As you can probably tell I was quite impressed to say the least with UXUA (and Trancoso as a whole is great but you can read about that elsewhere!). Anyone with a penchant for design, creativity or just a desire for a fantastic holiday in a unique hotel should book a trip here in a heartbeat. There really can only be a handful of hotels in the world that can rival what has been created at UXUA.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank colonial99
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed at Uxua for 5 nights at the start of our honeymoon and it could not have been better. The attention to detail was exceptional, due in many thanks to Carlos and Morgan, the concierge team. We stayed in Casa de Arvore (the tree house) which was stunning and very romantic. As the hotel was very quiet for the first couple of days, we were shown around many of the other houses and you wouldn't be disappointed with any, all truly stunning design concepts as you'd expect from a former head of Diesel design. We were made to feel well and truly at home, both by the hotel staff and the locals. I'd certainly recommend a Capoeira class with Dinai and the Feijoada next door. Don't miss Bernardo's food though and try a cooking lesson with him.
We're sure to be back in the future. Looking forward to heading back to Trancoso already.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Since 2 years I started organizing a company retreat, in which we determine the strategic goals for the following year. My company has branches in Italy, UK, Thailand (where I’m currently living) and Brazil. We started in 2010 in Italy at Ferragamo hotel, Tuscany, and we had great time and very good service. So the following year I assigned to my people in Brazil the task to find a similar environment in Brazil.

My team came back to me with the proposal of UXUA Casa Hotel. A small resort in the south of BAHIA. 10 Casas with a total of 15 rooms (the perfect number for my board of direction).

I have to say that I first went there by myself to explore the place. Even-tough I had been to Bahia before, I didn’t know the small village of Trancoso. The resort looked very good on the website but I felt it was not enough...plus the hotel is not open to the public, so only guests can enter in the property. A real plus if you want to keep your vacation quite. UXUA is particularly expensive though especially when the R$ is strong, but I have found a great solution just talking with the GM about my project/idea, the owner also has been very useful in the process. The management proposed me to close out the place for 3 days.

10 July 2011, all my team arrived; UXUA became my company’s HQ and the entire village Trancoso our amazing garden. The spaces inside the property are very well though out also for this kind of event, beside the fact that every casa being independent gives you all the privacy and relax that you wish. A big conference room immerse into the tropical garden, good services, amazing BAHIAN food and a very large SPA was the formula to make the retreat very successful.

I will suggest to every entrepreneur to try such experience.

Alex

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2012

A perfect balance of true luxury in an unpretentious, natural environment. I have traveled to many places and UXUA and Trancoso are a gem. We traveled there with friends and our houses at UXUA gave us both privacy and community. We took full advantage of the food, pool, beach, bar, day trips,and shops all set within one of the most historic and lovely villiages in Brazil. I have never felt so relaxed.

Room Tip: Each house had its own charm. I recommend viewing the accomodations on the website.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Herzliya, Israel
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We just had a 3 night stay in Seu Joao Casa,in or opinion the only one giving you a "resort" feeling, casa was perfect; full of daylight and open on all sides, furniture with impeccable taste, no bling-bling.
Food was so good we took all our meals at Uxua, staff was friendly and helpful.
Very nice Beach Club , with fabulous beach, but it is a 15 minutes walk, not 5 or 7 minutes like mentioned on the website.
We just want to return to Uxua as soon as possible.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Domperignon59
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 3, 2012

The best hotel i have ever stayed in. Period. Perfect service, luxurious, discrete and chic. I will be back

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple