“Good Overnighter”

Ranked #33 of 111 Hotels in Salvador
Tokyo, Japan
“Good Overnighter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

As the title suggests I stayed overnight at the Stella Maris, due to its proximity to the airport.

It seemed like a huge hotel and if I hadn't been escorted to the reception area I may well have gotten lost.

Check in was straight forward and as it was late there was no queue. The hotel gives you a none-removable wrist band for your stay, so I imagine it is popular as a tourist holiday with meals included?

Unfortunately the lift was out of order and the service lift had to be used during my brief stay. The room was spacious and comfortable and it was better than I was anticipating after reading some of the comments on here. Yes, it was a bit dated in parts, but all functioned and it was quiet (the room was not facing the sea).

A real positive was that you were give a password for the wifi and you could have as many as you needed for all your devices. In the room the wifi worked superbly. Quite possibly the best I've come across in all my trips to Brasil.

Breakfast was a huge buffet down near the pool. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and it set me up for the rest of the day. In particular the scrambled eggs were excellent.

Check out was even more straight forward than check in.

All in all I would stay again if passing through Salvador, but maybe for a bit longer so as to be able to enjoy the facilities next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bob J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel is not a resort ! Its is a 4 start hotel. I stayed there for 1 week and it was OK. apartments are nice, bigger for brazil standards, clean and everything Works fine. People in the hotel is very pleasant and helpfull. Internet is perfect in fast in the bedroom. Breakfast is good. In general hotel is good for the price I have payed. Cost X Benefit was perfect !

Room Tip: Ask for bedroom for the Garden are more quite than the others for the swinning pool and front sea wh...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Sao Paulo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a meeting and was really disappointed (as well as most people in our group). This hotel does not seem to have a maintenance department. If they have, no one cares about it. Painting in my bathroom was fading, there was ink over the bathroom counter, and wall painting was careless. The sliding door of the closet was bent and out of the rail (I had to pull it with energy to open or close it). The safe does not have instructions on how to operate it (you have to call safety). There weren´t enough lights in the room and I had to request an additional light (that a colleague told me she had in her room). The desk available for work does not have enough space for your legs to get in (you need to stay away from the desk). The outlet is far away from the desk. There is a place in the room near the outlet that had a very small table. I request the hotel staff to put a larger and taller table there, but they could not provide one. Air conditioning is only on when you have the key inserted in the proper slot, it is difficult to adjust it to maintain a comfortable temperature (either it gets too cold or too hot), it is a noisy equipment. There were no diet soft drinks in the room refrigerator. Slow WiFi internet connection (poor signal), I got disconnected very often and could not connect with my company via VPN continuously. Only one device is allowed to connect to the internet at a given time. Therefore, if you have a notebook, a tablet and a smartphone, you cannot connect all of them to the internet at the same time.
It was raining a lot during the first days in the city and areas near the meeting room and the restaurant had a lot of water on the floor (hotel staff had to constantly sweep the water away). Two of our guests had water from the rain getting into their rooms even with the windows closed (site staff placed some towels there to try to relieve the problem).
One of my towels had a dead fly on it.
I hope I never have to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RBRSaoPaulo

Travelers are raving about these Salvador hotels

Greenville, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stay here if you like loud music bad food and overpriced rooms. The music from the pool is so loud that it echoes all the way down the halls of the hotel straight into your room. If there is anyone staying above you be prepared to hear every step they make. The walls and doors to the room are also paper thin. Half the time room service does not answer the phone and when your food finally arrives you wish it never did. The rooms are decent but nothing special about them. The bathroom was dirty and My laptop is bigger then the TV in the room.The only decent thing about this hotel is their breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is an interesting hotel. First you have to find it which was a challenge as it is not on the main road and we saw no signage on the hotel. After we asked at least four people we did find it. Unfortunately they seemed to be doing renovations the day we arrived that were very loud but thankfully stopped at five. One surprise for us that we had read about an airport shuttle but were told they needed a 48 hr notice (??) and it did not run on weekends (?) So we ended up with a $25 taxi. Airport is fairly close and this is convenient if you are going back out to the airport. The rooms have a great view of the beach and if you are a beach and pool family this looks like a decent choice. We were a bit put off by the loud music and entertainment from the pool area but fortunately it quieted down at night. ( Although we were dismayed to read that they can do karaoke at the pool area starting at 8:30 p.m. some days - fortunately not our stay ). The hotel seemed to be renovating itself and there was new paint, etc. but overall seemed old and dingy and in need of a facelift. Rooms seemed a bit dusty in spots. Could have been cleaner.

The breakfast was excellent by the way. Other than that we only had sandwiches for room service and they were fine. I guess I would recommend this hotel only for a family who liked the beach/pool but not a romantic getaway to my eye. It is - to be fair - a conference center and I guess it would work out well for that. It is quite large. It is not a quiet place to get away by any means.

There appeared to be a coffee service in each room on their list of amenities but that was not in the room. Bed was good and bathroom and shower were good. I noted hooks for hammocks on the balconies but there were none there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the beach - maybe most of them do - not sure - but the beach is lovely...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaunas, Lithuania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel is the most awful hotel I have ever been. Loud noisy and terrible music in pool area from 10 am to 10 pm, disquisting food, dirty rooms, beach with stones on the shore in front of the hotel. We spend here 2 nights and it seemed to be endless for me.

Room Tip: do not go to this hotel at all
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed at Stella Maris for one night and were very unhappy with our experience. To start things off we booked this hotel because Expedia claimed it had a free airport shuttle, however, once we arrived in the Salvador airport and called the hotel we soon realized that this was not the case (note if you need to take a cab from the airport do not grab a taxi right outside the airport doors as they overcharge, instead cross the street and you will find another cab company that charges considerably less-$30 from airport to hotel). Once we got to our hotel room we were instantly dissatisfied with our room as it was dirty (stains on the walls, dust on everything), hot, smelled bad and was lout (can hear people above). To make matters worse, our air conditioning unit was not working and it took hours to a) prove that the unit was broken and b) get a new room. The other issue we had was that the taxi the hotel provides overcharge considerably as we took a taxi from Stella Maris back to the airport and instead of paying $30 we were charged $50! The only upside to this hotel is that the staff is very friendly and polite.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here make sure that you get a room that is not on the ground floor and is o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple